OpenWrt 21.02.0 third release candidate

FYI: http://lists.openwrt.org/pipermail/openwrt-devel/2021-July/035741.html

Imagebuilder is currently broken for some packages. :confused:

Are you sure it isn’t because of this

PACKAGES=luci-ssl-openssl

Isn’t that a no go since we have wolfssl for this as standard?
I haven’t been able to install luci-ssl-openssl ever on 21.02.

You can remove wolfssl and replace it with openssl, but I don't think you can have both simultaneously.

1 Like

Yes but the imagebuilder build in the link doesn’t remove anything and it gets a error.

This breakage also present for master.

1 Like

I've checked the link and it's not related a package conflict (trying to have both wolfssl/openssl), but due to a package being version mismatched in the repo.

Granted it won't do anything until the dependency issue is resolved, but you could try PACKAGES="-luci-ssl luci-ssl-openssl". That removes the default WolfSSL version of luci-ssl and replaces it with the OpenSSL version. According to the wiki, the build system is smart enough to select/deselect dependant packages based on what you specify.

Thanks for the suggestion @mk24
I have just tried to remove the network configuration , and first boot the R1 .
Unfortunately it just regenerates the old configuration that uses swconfig.
I will have to try my hand at manual configuration . I think I have the ip link commands for it somewhere .

• update:
    Looks like the ip link commands I had rely on devices such as lan1, lan2, lan3, wan , being hard coded as it were . In my case with rc3 , I get ‘No such device’ when trying to set it . Also I can see in the dmesg on boot ‘Failed to connect to the switch’ messages . This is giving me a feeling that we have an incomplete dsa implementation in the R1 image . And as a default it is trying to use swconfig, which can not work .

I did see some discussion last year in May-June involving Hauke M on the subject of R1 and networking , and it looked like they got it working . So my question is, has that code been actually included in rc3 , or was that just an experiment?

Best Regards

P.s if someone can post their network file with working DSA configuration for the R1 , I would be very grateful. Currently I have no good working example to refer to .

Do you experience any WiFi issues on Android or iPhone devices?

How can I check if a given platform migrated to DSA in 21.02 ?
AFAIK some of them are being held on swconfig for 21.02.

Nope, I have an iPhone and Pixel, and two ThinkPads they are all fine. If you use esp chip devices use radio2 mwifiex driver like it says on the doc page, I don't have any of those though.

Thanks for your reply. Interesting…. In master build using a modified divested config with 5.10 I still get intermittent issues with WiFi. Recent builds I gen seem to have reduced it though and I’m using a patch that allows DFS channels removing the conflict with radio2.

I’ve got 1gb fibre download and since the move to DSA my download won’t reach any further that 650-700 wired.

https://forum.openwrt.org/t/request-for-testing-luci-on-dsa-devices
I believe this pretty much summons DSA migration status even today.

Can somehow explain me the image-builder problem?
http://lists.openwrt.org/pipermail/openwrt-devel/2021-July/035748.html

What does the nonshared mean and does to packages? Why are packages rebuild after a release?

clean install of rc3 today. was putting statistics back on and ran into a clash.

root@OpenWrt:~# opkg install luci-app-statistics 
Installing luci-app-statistics (git-21.163.62566-54b2195) to root...
Downloading https://downloads.openwrt.org/releases/21.02.0-rc3/packages/mips_24kc/luci/luci-app-statistics_git-21.163.62566-54b2195_all.ipk
Installing libiwinfo20210430 (2021-04-30-c45f0b58-2) to root...
Downloading https://downloads.openwrt.org/releases/21.02.0-rc3/packages/mips_24kc/base/libiwinfo20210430_2021-04-30-c45f0b58-2_mips_24kc.ipk
Collected errors:
 * check_data_file_clashes: Package libiwinfo20210430 wants to install file /usr/share/libiwinfo/hardware.txt
        But that file is already provided by package  * libiwinfo20210106
 * opkg_install_cmd: Cannot install package luci-app-statistics.

:edit: This is on a BT Hub 5 btw.

Hostname	OpenWrt
Model	BT Home Hub 5A
Architecture	xRX200 rev 1.2
Firmware Version	OpenWrt 21.02.0-rc3 r16172-2aba3e9784 / LuCI openwrt-21.02 branch git-21.163.64918-ba57ec5
Kernel Version	5.4.124

I have successfully installed 21.02.0-rc3 on the following devices and tested basic functionality:

• 8Devices Carambola2 DVK
  • 8Devices Habenero DVK
  • Actiontec GT784WNV
  • D-Link DIR-685 (Note WiFi still not supported)
  • Seagate BlackArmor NAS220

I'll be posting updates as I install on more devices.

I, too, had a similar experience, but with DIR-878.

Every day or two, WIFI drops connectivity to Internet. Happens simultaneously on Android and iPhone devices. Self-resolves in a literal minute or so, something like a reboot. I, too, could not check the logs. It appears wired devices kept working.

I have also had at least one unexpected reboot - I really need to setup proper log storage that survives rebooting...

1 Like

Works OK on Netgear R7800. This router does the typical routing stuff (with native IPv6), an extra VLAN for less-trusted devices, a PPtP VPN against censorship, policy routing with mwan3 (so that I can decide what goes through the VPN), Nginx with a static site, ksmbd, and Transmission.

This bug is minor, and I'm not sure if it is an issue in current master, 21.02 rc3, or both. I suspect it happens in both, but after spending my day converting from 19.07.7 swconfig to DSA on my main ER-X home gateway with current r17089 snapshot installed on it, I'm not about to repeat that process with rc3 anytime soon. It is definitely an issue in current snapshot.

When using the luci menus to set up the below firewall rule, UDP and TCP protocols are both selected by default in the luci pull down menu. When the rule is saved and applied, Luci does not save the last two "list" lines below to the firewall config file. There is a work-around: Luci can be forced to save these lines by deselecting one of the protocols, saving and applying, then selecting both protocols again and saving and applying.

config rule
        option target 'ACCEPT'
        option src 'gst'
        option dest_port '53'
        option name 'Allow-gst-DNS'
        list proto 'tcp'
        list proto 'udp'

Perhaps the two "list proto...." lines are superfluous if that is what OpenWrt assumes if no protocols are specified, but even if this is the case, it would be less confusing if Luci saved these lines to the firewall config file regardless.

Seems to work OK all around, except network speeds are notably slower. See: https://forum.openwrt.org/t/openwrt-21-02-0-third-release-candidate/99363/125?u=eginnc

I also notice SQM is a bit slower on the ER-X with current snapshot (assumed comparable to 21.02 rc3 at this point) than it was with 19.07.7. My ISP is provisioned at ~230/12 Mbps. On a good day I could get the high end of 165-190 Mbps with 19.07 out of the MT7621. With current snapshot I'm only getting 130-150 Mbps, so that is a bit of a disappointment. Tolerable, but looking forward to better.

Hello, could you give me the link to download the .BIN of the firmware I have a Linksys WRT32X

Upgraded TP-Link RE200 v4 to RC3, 2.4GHz band works great but 5GHz band suffer low TX power (MT7610EN)