OpenWrt 21.02.0 Fourth release candidate

Why not use the firmware selector and customize it yourself (remove 2x "-CT")?.
OpenWrt Firmware Selector (libremesh.org)

1 Like

WRT1900ACS here. wifi on rc4 is still very unstable (clients connected to wifi do not have internet, workaround is to disconnect and reconnect wifi).

Is it just me or there is a non-rc 21.02.0 release available? :thinking:

3 Likes

Yes, not all fixed, not all roadmap goals released, but look like vote say's YES to release "as it is" and my device already updated

1 Like

Please mind that bildbots are still building.
Please wait until the buildbots have finished their work and until 21.02.0 is officially announced here in the forum.

9 Likes

Thanks and thanks for the great work.

My first OpenWrt install was straight into 21.02.0-rc4 so I am looking how to upgrade without losing all the configuration work. It's looking like a bit more than I imagined, but those are fully-generic instructions that should also work in major version bumps.

First was not tainted, second was tainted. You loaded some extra kernel module in-between...?

Anyway, I don't know where to begin with stuff like this.

Not, just had seen it in my dmesg, was thinking of mwifiex/firmware, but no problem on WiFi accesses...

Sorry, but seen pretty nothing more...
Was surprised of it, so I published here, in case of...

edit : nothing was done (by user/me) except normal router usage...

Tainting can happen because of errors as well.

Yes use Master snapshot it's much better. Master has been running great on my WRT32X for weeks. Unfortunately 21.02 is about to release and they haven't addressed this issue.

I currently use Image builder but every new release I have to build my own like a fork, this doesn't feel right in the longterm as many users from here already upvoted and use my non-ct builds. I would love to have this officially.

You can just use the imagebuilder from openwrt and select the packages you want? That reduces build time massively?

3 Likes

And if you have the make config ”code” pre written and saved you just copy paste it into the terminal every time you do a build and take a coffee while the computer do the work😃

1 Like

Is there any real advantage to imagebuilder? I always just install a master snapshot and add everything in one command with opkg install.

Summary

opkg update && opkg install irqbalance luci-app-advanced-reboot luci-app-sqm luci-app-adblock luci-app-upnp luci-app-samba4 kmod-usb-storage kmod-usb-storage-uas kmod-usb-ohci kmod-usb-ohci-pci kmod-ata-ahci kmod-usb-uhci kmod-usb3 block-mount usbutils mount-utils luci-app-hd-idle kmod-fs-exfat iperf3 nano

1 Like

If you only like to add packages, then the benefits are minor. But you can minimize the downtime of services that you have installed additionally if you already have them included in your custom image and do an upgrade while keeping your configuration.

However, to me, being able to remove/replace default packages from the image, is more interesting. I use the image builder to create images for my access point, for example. The access point functionality requires only a reduced set of packages. I have no need for a DNS resolver or DHCP server. I do like the fact that I can flash my "access point image" and be sure that no DHCP service will run on it, even if I don't preserve the configuration over the upgrade. I'm also one of those who prefer to use the non-ct ath10k driver and firmware.

3 Likes

I’m out of the loop- nothing obvious in quick search just now either. What’s the pros + cons of ct vs non-ct?

1 Like

If you build it with the packages then you always have the packages, offline and online and after a reset. My current rig can’t even have internet to the router until the VLAN:s are setup offline so it can communicate with the switch.
Master snapshot…today it worked, today it didn’t work, today it worked-oh no it didn’t…

1 Like

I didn't follow the development of the -ct driver and firmware over the last couple of years either. So my reasons come down to "history" and habit and I can't really speak about the current state.
But at the time when the -ct driver was made the default for my device (or OpenWrt in general? I don't remember...), I did compare them to some extent and noticed the throughput of the -ct variant was a bit slower. So, I decided to stay with the non-ct version. And since that has worked well for me over the last years, I have little inclination to change that.

However, there always have been a number of people who had issues with the mainline ath10k driver and firmware**, such as random driver or firmware crashes and so on. They (or some of them) found the -ct driver to be more stable. And I guess it also has to do with the fact that @greearb (who is the main developer behind the -ct driver, afaik) seems more responsive than the upstream developers when it comes to issues and trying to solve bugs.

** Note: Much earlier, I also had issues with the ath10k driver. That was when both my wife and I had a Google Nexus 5X phone. When those were connected to the 5G wireless network, the firmware would crash after a while (sometimes a month or so). After my wife's phone died at some point (and mine a few months later), I haven't seen the the ath10k driver or firmware crash anymore.

1 Like

I installed 21.02 (yes i know its not announced) on an Archer C7 v5 as a dumb AP.
Now i'm seeing these log messages every hour.

Fri Sep 3 18:58:47 2021 kern.info kernel: [10512.400160] Atheros AR8216/AR8236/AR8316 mdio.0:00: Port 5 is down
Fri Sep 3 18:58:49 2021 kern.info kernel: [10514.447830] Atheros AR8216/AR8236/AR8316 mdio.0:00: Port 5 is up
Fri Sep 3 19:58:49 2021 kern.info kernel: [14114.784965] Atheros AR8216/AR8236/AR8316 mdio.0:00: Port 5 is down
Fri Sep 3 19:58:51 2021 kern.info kernel: [14116.832625] Atheros AR8216/AR8236/AR8316 mdio.0:00: Port 5 is up
Fri Sep 3 20:58:52 2021 kern.info kernel: [17717.172038] Atheros AR8216/AR8236/AR8316 mdio.0:00: Port 5 is down
Fri Sep 3 20:58:54 2021 kern.info kernel: [17719.219698] Atheros AR8216/AR8236/AR8316 mdio.0:00: Port 5 is up
Fri Sep 3 21:58:55 2021 kern.info kernel: [21320.581915] Atheros AR8216/AR8236/AR8316 mdio.0:00: Port 5 is down

What is port 5 and why is it down and up again every hour?

I think you can find that in /etc/board.json