OpenWrt 21.02.0 Fourth release candidate

Yeah I had to download the ipk to my computer then use upload to install it.

Working so far: wired 1G LAN speed, 2.4g/5g wifi
Not working as expected:

1. DSA based VLAN, cannot figure it out even with instruction on the forum, but not required so I just made a workaround method
  2. HWNAT has soft-irq seen in htop, max internet speed capped to 550M(wired internet)/300M(wifi internet)
  3. Updating from rc3 but Luci told me config version not compatible, don't know why because I used same config from rc2 to rc3 with no issue, nevertheless I compiled rc4 myself and added config in /files and it worked.

Where can I find the above pic in this release

try to uncheck "Disassociate On Low Acknowledgement"

Where can I view the lan port connect speed eg. 100 or 1000

Thanks

RC4 not working correctly on DIR 878 (MT7621). All seemed fine until trying gaming where intermittently (every 10s-2mins) I had massive lag spikes making the game unplayable. I am connected wired.

CPU load and RAM usage are both fine when it happens. I am connected via DHCP from my cable router in modem mode.

Both the kernel and system log seemed unremarkable.

I have not tested previous versions but I have tested the latest snapshot and the issue persists.

I have noticed another person mentioning this on his DIR 878 on this thread, but no further mention of resolution. I have tried with SQM on but it had no effect.

I have had to revert back to stock due to this

After updating from RC3 to RC4, Atheros WDS wireless network bridge stopped working.
Rolled back to RC3, and WDS wireless bridge is working again.
Hardware : Tp-link Archer A7

I've seen this on my Archer C7 v2 as well, sometimes several times an hour, sometimes not for one or two days. I have since disabled Energy Efficient Ethernet (EEE or sometimes also "Green Ethernet") for the port in question on my Archer C7 v2 as well as on my managed switch for the port to which the Archer C7 v2 is connected. This seems to have solved this for me.

Please note, I think EEE is disabled by default on OpenWrt. I always used it on older releases and didn't encounter issues (I might have not noticed them before, though). And left it enabled now on the other ports that don't exhibit this behavior.

2 Likes

I noticed something similar, but with a device where there's not stable release yet. Could you test if the problem is ipv4 only? I checked with tcpdump on WAN but everything looked ok so far, just some missing replies (did not happen before changing from RouterOS or with direct connection to modem).

It does not make any sense that packet loss affects only one protocol and not others. This would be a problem that is not on the network layer, but the physical layer. If the device uses RGMII as the ethernet interface it is likely that the clocks are not adjusted properly which occasionally causes the signals to be misread.

I could be wrong, but I believe packet loss in IPv4 but not IPv6 means there is a software-related problem in upstream devices, not the one with openwrt.

Now to the original problem

Even though you don't see CPU being maxed out, MT7621 is a dual-core device, so it probably will help to install the package irqbalance

DSA VLAN intro

dir-860l (is also MediaTek MT7621AT based) pings flawless so far on command line from LAN to WAN with rc4 using IPv4.
Does your problem show with a repeated ping or other command? Or does it only show in games via UDP traffic?

Has anyone here tried rc4 with the linksys WRT3300?
How did you get in?
(There us a somewhat depressing thread about WiFi disconnectiond in the 'installing and using' section)

There's no reason to suspect it's in any way changed, it's the same (closed source, shitty) driver.

It's not an issue with the mwlwifi driver, there is a bug in 21.02 related to the firmware blob or something else that causes wifi to stall. The old 19.07.8 branch and the current Master branch with 5.10 kernel seem to be unaffected by this issue.

Thanks for the update!
So the latest snapshot should work fine?
I'm still on David's wonderful build but its kinda old now....

Yea snapshots based off Master work fine. 21.02 not so much the wifi stalls a lot. There is another thread with 21.02-rc4 with the wifi firmware replaced with an older version that seems to fix it (I've been testing it a couple days), but not enough testing has been done yet to really confirm it's the fw.

Overall

So similar to RC3 and includes few developments, thanks for contribution. :clap:‍‍
Need to show real performance of the VR200
Looks like drops problem fixed substantially.

Connection LEDs

• [ ] LEDs are dimmed except USB and Refresh. Similar to RC3-RC2 as I mentioned
  • :white_check_mark: :clap:‍‍ Also have good news, it's configured well according to the connections than RC3. Thank you

Wi-Fi

The connection quality varies by every encryption of Wi-Fi and the best one is no encryption
It's similar to RC3, getting better for every release from RC2 for each device

WPA3-SAE

802.11w Management Frame Protection:
Required

WPA2-PSK

802.11w Management Frame Protection:
Disabled

WPA2-PSK/WPA3-SAE mixed mode(strong security)

802.11w Management Frame Protection:Disabled

WPA-PSK/WPA2-PSK mixed mode(strong security)

WPA-PSK

• [ ] Not usable speed, can hardly surf on OpenWrt interface

No Encryption (open network)

Cable connection

Test system

Those all test result done one device, next to router! Wi-Fi & Ethernet
But interestingly, some different devices give worse than those results. Selected a Linux laptop which I've gotten the best result overall
I've to say that some results have changed with use of the same device. So got worse result first time usage, I think router get stable itself by time.

4 Likes

I've to say that some results have changed with use of the same device. So got worse result first time usage, I think router get stable itself by time.

My experiences follow yours. Especially the part about a device may be having issues but then corrects itself. However, failover to mobile data can be slow. So slow that the Android device will show "connected without internet". Reverting back to an earlier WiFI FW version helps but the wireless performance is not the same as 19.7.08.

There is a WRT3200 thread where reverting back to an earlier FW revision helps tremendously.

1 Like

I'm willing to bet the LED issue is because the physical "pins" aren't defined as outputs, but are "floating". Or something like that.

1 Like