OpenWrt 21.02.0 first release candidate

Slight correction to this advice. The fixed luci-mod-network is git-21.110.65613 or newer.

https://github.com/openwrt/luci/commit/af7a61d3a6c7bd6ceef03d4a2ad70b0366ad9d38

(My bad, I originally looked up the fixed version wrongly for Hauke)

I tried the RC on my CPE 210 v1 and it bootlooped afterwards. Also if I flashed it again through TFTP and regardless if I use the factory or sysupgrade image. After recovering using a 19.07.7 image it works fine again. A 21.02 snapshot build from a month or so ago worked fine on the same device.

I did not capture serial logs because that device is still sealed and on my roof.

Anyone else having issues?

What's about multiple identical mt76x8 devices like tl-wr840n v4,v5 & tl-wr850n v1,v2? There is no need to separate dts files for those devices. One build can run into other devices without any problems. So, don't make dts list so long, it is necessary to merge these devices in one dts file.

If DSA is not in LuCI. Where do I find the official instruction how OpwnWRT config files are supposed to look like for DSA to work?

If we can’t get even a hint of this, how are we supposed to test it?

5 Likes

2 posts were split to a new topic: Request help for a new network configuration with DSA

This RC is working fine for my TP-Link Archer C2600. I do have however one specific problem with the unbound package. When set to ip6_local mode (IPv4 WAN, IPv4+6 LAN) unbound continues to try and contact the Root DNS servers via IPv6, causing the logs to be flooded with error messages. I fixed it by setting ip4_only as protocol and having dnsmasq contact unbound via a IPv4 instead of IPv6 local address. Same config on 19.07.* with ip6_local works fine, barring any changes in syntax or config options.

Openwrt 21.02.0-rc1 works for me on an Edimax RA21S and on an Edimax RG21S.
Should successful tests be reported somewhere, so you know which devices might not have been tested at all?

Your network config looks a lot like the old swconfig code from 19.07.7?

The 1year old examples of DSA codes i have seen looks different.

Is this firmware stable for all devices for which a built package exists? I was able to find a build for my device (Archer C60 v3) on the firmware selector page; however when I flashed it, it broke support for a few of my devices (they are not able to connect). The wiki page for the device suggests that the latest supported release is the 19.x.

No, it is a release candidate RC1, see it like a alpha or beta test of the 21.02 branch.

But we are getting closer to a stable build.

1 Like

Installed this on my WRT32X when it was first posted with a 3 day uptime.

The build is barebones so I added a lot of packages. Using 5GHz wifi (only wpa2 unfortunately), SQM Cake (cable modem 500mbits down / 35mbit up) with only a 1-5ms ping fluctuation under max load is working amazing, Adblock, USB 3.0 storage and Samba4 (around 120 MB/s rw), advanced reboot, DSA, a basic mix of DHCP and static IPs and port forwards.

Everything running awesome so far thank you.

2 Likes

does 5 ghz radio work in station mode on your wrt32xx? i cannot make it work on any channel.

I just left it on the default (master) mode and it works great on all my devices. Not sure where you would change it to station mode.

i'm saying that the device is not able to work as client as station, like when you connect via wifi to other network.

The only "bug" I noticed with my WRT32X I described above was mounting USB 3.0 storage in LuCI. It simply wouldn't work. It detected the 3TB drive but when I added the necessary mounting options and clicked enable I couldn't see it with Samba4.

Had to edit /etc/rc.local/ and add "ntfs-3g /dev/sda1 /mnt/sda1 -o rw,lazytime,noatime,big_writes" and reboot for it to actually mount. From that point it worked perfectly and so did Samba4 sharing the drive.

Great performance though, around 110-120 MB/s read-write and samba4 works great sharing to my Win10 devices and Shield TV.

5 day uptime now on rc1.

if you use ntfs-3g remove another kmod ntfs

Another disadvantage for 21.02.0 is the speed on the wire, with wrt1900acs v2 I can no longer exceed 870Mbps.
Otherwise everything works well, congratulations for the hard work!

2 Likes

I enumerated all / most ?? of the new current possible uci config options in post. A working example follows that post, dealing with getting your WLAN into the fray.

1 Like

@F5BJR I only installed ntfs-3g, not the kmod version. There is definitely a bug, it won't automount, unless I missed a package to install somewhere.

@oli my cable modem only reaches 500/35 Mbits. But SQM Cake has no issue shaping at this speed, excellent results on dslreports, straight A+, no pings exceed 5ms during max load. Maybe there a regression nearing gigabit related to DSA? Not sure.