OpenWrt 19.07.6 service release

Did an imagebuild 19.07.6 with packages and config files on a WRT3200acm from 19.07.5
Not keeping settings offcourse.

Up and running under a minute. Perfect work.

Just updated 2x R7800 and an Archer C7 from .05 to .06. Works perfect.
Thanks for your hard work.

Upgraded ER-X from 19.07.5 to 19.07.6. No issues. Works great.

Amazingly fast response to new security issues! Thank you Developers!

Edit: As of Jan 27 2021 07:30 EST, I upgraded dnsmasq (and only dnsmasq) to 2.80-16.3 after 19.07.6 installation and can also report this is working fine with no issues. I did not notice any issues prior, but it seemed prudent to grab this update given reports of others.

1 Like

I installed the new release on my Linksys WRT3200ACM that was running 19.07.5 previously. Works great. Thank you for pushing out the security fixes.

Upgraded a Buffalo WBMR HP-G300H. Still works.

I upgraded from 19.07.05 to this release on my Linksys WRT1900ACS, keeping the configuration. I then installed the additional packages that I had installed with the prior version and rebooted.

It works except for the problem being discussed here: Security Advisory 2021-01-19-1 - dnsmasq multiple vulnerabilities - #7 by otnert

2021-01-21 06:02:09 Daemon.Error 192.168.1.1 Jan 21 06:02:09 OpenWrt dnsmasq[3680]: failed to send packet: Address family not supported by protocol

Otherwise, an awesome job with the timely release of security updates.

1 Like

Successful sysupgrade for TP-Link Archer C2600v1 keeping settings from 19.07.05 => 19.07.06.

Apart from this:

I'm not getting the dnsmasq err on my r7800, but wireless performance on my ar300m and mt300nv2 are both much slower than 19.07.5

Upgraded my Linksys WRT19000ACS v2 from 19.07.5 to 19.07.6 with settings restore, no problems, no DNS error, work very fain :slight_smile:

Uptime 5d 5h 40m 54s
Load Average 0.00, 0.00, 0.00

thank you for your hard work

1 Like

Fritzbox 4040 upgraded from .5 to .6 and all is well, opkgscript did its good work again :slight_smile:

Runs fine on Linksys EA8300, load average much reduced.

However more RAM usage, at least 10MB, hopefully update will fix this.

Many thumbs up :+1: :+1: :+1: :+1: :+1: :+1: to devs !

Thanks to the dev team for yet another successful release!

I updated 3 devices yesterday without issue from 19.07.5 (I always update without saving settings and then restore a backup):

• Ubiquiti RouterStation Pro (ath79)
  • TP-Link TL-WR902ACv1 (ar71xx)
  • Linksys E3000 (brcm47xx)

hello everybody compatible to mikrotik rb52 ? hap ac2 the 19.07.6 ?

thanks for advance

Also works with Linksys MR8300 using EA8300 release, with same results stated earlier.

See the table of hardware -- you can look up your devices to see if they are supported.

1 Like

I always update without saving settings and then restore a backup

Genuine question - isn't that exactly what happens when you update while saving settings? It takes a backup, updates the firmware, then immediately restores the backup?

Or am I missing something?

Honestly, I am not sure of the exact mechanism used to achieve the preserve settings task. However, the previous settings are applied immediately, which means that an incompatible config could cause it to fail to boot properly or have other issues (this is unlikely for service releases, but major releases do sometimes have substantial changes). In my case, it's a little more complex in that I have extroot and a bunch of packages. So I have some scripts to make my process easier, but it is basically a format and reload type of construct.

For most routers:

• Sysupgrade takes a backup, flashes the firmware itself and also flashes the backup archive to the end of the firmware image.
  • At the first reboot after the flash the backup is found, and its contents are extracted to the newly-created overlay partition (that actually overwrites the flash area where the settings were stored) during the early boot process.

Note that the backup saves just settings and possibly other defined files, but not add-on packages.

(for some routers, like the Linksys mvebu WRTxxxxACx things, the settings are stored slightly differently, but the behaviour is similar)

Actually no.

• If you "sysupgrade with settings", any possible settings migration scripts (usuall uci-defaults scripts) can tweak the previous settings if they need to be changed.
  • If you restore later an old backup, the migration scripts are not run, and you may end up with incompatible settings.
    (examples: mvebu radio PCI path was changed a few years ago, dnsmasq resolv file location was changed, ...)
3 Likes

Actually no.

• If you "sysupgrade with settings", any possible settings migration scripts (usuall uci-defaults scripts) can tweak the previous settings if they need to be changed.

Cool. I usually upgrade while keeping settings, and it sounds like that's the most sensible thing to do. I take nightly backups as well in case something goes wrong.

In my case, it's a little more complex in that I have extroot and a bunch of packages. So I have some scripts to make my process easier

Same for me. There are quite a few things I need to do before and after each upgrade, but I have it all scripted now so it's not too bad - I run one script before the upgrade, then upgrade (and keep settings), then run a second script afterwards to install extra packages and several other things.

1 Like