Openwrt 19.07.5 x86/64 Grub problem?

Hi,

I'm trying to fire up Openwrt 19.07.5 on a Wyse Z90D7 Thin Client.

I'm able to flash an image using Rufus onto a USB and boot it up on a Wyse Z90. I have a screen and keyboard connected and can execute commands without any problem.

I then proceeded to flash the internal 4GB SSD with the same image using an Ubuntu Live system on USB. I can mount /dev/sda1 & /dev/sda2. The boot partition has the standard grub.cfg. The files on /dev/sda2 all look fine. In all it's a clone of the openWRT system I booted from the USB drive.

When I try to boot from SSD the screen shows "Grub..." briefly then ... nothing. Prior to this the SSD hosted a minimal Ubuntu server so I'm sure the SSD is OK.

I've poked around for several hours now. If any of you kind folks could offer some suggestions I'd be very grateful.

Cheers, Steve

you'll need a /boot/grub/grub.cfg file

if you wiped the disk you used for ubuntu, it probably got deleted.

here's an example:

I imaged the entire SSD with the following command:

sudo su
sudo gunzip -c openwrt-19.07.5-x86-64-combined-ext4.img.gz | dd of=/dev/sda

AFAIK that clones the partition table and the sda1 and sda2 images. Is that not ok?

Seems openwrt includes the grub.cfg, so it's probably ok.

the weird part is grub is set to wait for 5 sec in the cfg.

and you should be able to interact with it.

I found this script openwrt-efi-tools. It creates a new image from an existing x86 combined image and adds an EFT partition taken from:

openwrt-x86-64-generic-ext4-combined-efi.img.gz

Usage:

sudo ./gen-efi-image.sh SOURCE_IMG EFI_IMG DEST_IMG

Use dd to copy the resulting image onto the Wyse Z90D7 4GB SSD, it boots with a live console!

Cheers.