OpenWrt 19.07.10 service release

I heard they fixed the problem in previous version of 21.02.

It was 21.02.2 I was fighting with. I tried for days, every suggestion I could find. In the end 19.07 just worked no issues. Really hesitant to try 21.02.3 as it is all running so well. But no more security updates now is concerning

For me, it's to avoid

Known issues

• Some IPv6 packets are dropped when software flow offloading is used: FS#3373

• As a workaround, do not activate software flow offloading, it is deactivate by default.

And I'm not installing an RC1 on my home router.

Hopefully this may soon be resolved:

1 Like

Because many targets were dropped with the release of 21.02.

I call a bunch of devices my own that just "stuck" on 19.07 and don't got a image for 21.02 - encouraging is nice but does sadly not help in this case.

I'm not sure if there is any statistic but I guess many devices lost support between 19.07 and 21.02 (I guess all devices with only 4MB of flash and all devices with 16MB - maybe even 32MB of RAM)?

32mb RAM is the sticking point, I've got dozens of perfectly decent devices with the ram limitation.

8 mikrotik rb941
2 mikrotik rb750up
Tplink wr703n

I'm hoping ath79 tiny will give something to work with

1 Like

Indeed. I have bunch of ramips (rt305x) warriors which are 4/32 and they just go strong. Sometimes I have the feeling they are more robust than other devices with 8/128 I call my own.

Just lifted some of them to 19.07.10 (with the typical Saving firmware space and RAM tricks) and they are rock solid.

Even-though 19.07 is EOL I find it somewhat sad to read this very line here:

as it wouldn't hurt to say something like that instead:

we might fix severe security problems in the future - but absolutely no guarantee on that.

Because the only solution presented:

just doesn't work for most of the people when they are forced to stick with the (for them) newest version 19.x because there devices never got any newer release. :frowning:

I know that openwrt isn't in charge at all for the devices - and many lived already much longer than the manufactures supported them just because of openwrt - but still just indirectly suggesting dumping :put_litter_in_its_place: (hardware wise) perfect working devices is just very sad...

It is a free software project. If there’s enough interest and need you could consider founding your own „OpenWrt longterm support“ project which carries 19.07 forward for selected targets.

1 Like

@MangoMan there is also this thread https://forum.openwrt.org/t/openwrt-21-02-x-ath79-tiny-luci/
I can help compile some similar builds for you to test as dont have any rt305x devices left. Just let me know

1 Like

Sure - I'm happy to test any build! As target the wr512-3g-4M would be probably the best because it has serial pins broken out (pin headers soldered already) and I just need to open the device (nothing clipped but just 4 good old screws :screwdriver:) to get access.

This device might be interesting also because of the fact (for some reason) it has less usable space available compared to it's "siblings" (like a mpr-a1 with the same soc,ram and flash size) and was already "discard" from the official 19.07 builds while still available in the image builder.

I build with this recipe :cook:

make image PROFILE="wr512-3gn-4M" PACKAGES="base-files busybox dnsmasq dropbear firewall fstools ip6tables iptables kmod-gpio-button-hotplug kmod-gpio-button-hotplug kmod-ipt-offload kmod-leds-gpio kmod-leds-gpio kmod-ledtrig-netdev kmod-rt2800-soc kmod-usb-core kmod-usb-ohci kmod-usb2 libc libgcc logd mtd netifd odhcp6c odhcpd-ipv6only opkg ppp ppp-mod-pppoe swconfig swconfig uci uclient-fetch urandom-seed urngd wpad-mini -ppp -ppp-mod-pppoe -ip6tables -odhcp6c -kmod-ip6tables -odhcpd-ipv6only -iptables uhttpd uhttpd-mod-ubus libiwinfo-lua luci-base luci-app-firewall luci-mod-admin-full luci-theme-bootstrap"

and got a working build with 3670255 bytes out of it which is (important!) able to save settings. :muscle:

In case it matters this device has 1 ethernet port and 1 usb port beside featuring two buttons :control_knobs: and the sane amount of 8 leds :vertical_traffic_light:

Is it okay to use openwrt 19.10 now?
because i have a 8mb flash device :upside_down_face:
using it in pppoe connection from my isp

No, 19.07 has been EOL and unsupported for many years now. It has many security vulnerabilities that will never be patched.

8MB of flash is sufficient to run even the latest (23.05), provided that you have at least 64MB of RAM.

2 Likes

If i use openwrt 23 on archer c60( 8 mb flash), total available memory left is 4-5% and router suddenly hangs. :pensive:
Openwrt 19.10 gives butter smooth performance.

You can use whatever version you want, but it is not recommended nor safe to use 19.07 at this time.

You'd be best suited by creating a new thread to troubleshoot the situation with 23.05.

i have seen OpenWrt 21.02.7 released this may, 2023. is it recommended to use? or is it also unsafe like openwrt 19.10?

21.02 is also eol and unsupported.

22.03.5 or 23.05.0 would be the recommended options.

If I were you I would soon buy new hardware with at least 64 MiB flash and 256 MiB main memory, before 22.03 will be end of life in about 2024.

Cheaper router models could for example use the MediaTek MT7621 SoC: https://openwrt.org/tag/mt7621?do=showtag&tag=mt7621

Recent popular high performance models have 802.11ax WiFi-6 support:
https://openwrt.org/tag/802.11ax?do=showtag&tag=802.11ax

Older devices with up to and including 8 MiB flash and up to and including 64 MiB memory will be soon at their end of life: https://openwrt.org/supported_devices/openwrt_on_864_devices

1 Like

This thread should be closed and noted that this version is not supported anymore. Users should be suggested to use newer versions. We should not revive thread, which is one year old.

3 Likes

Agree. Closing this now.

19.07 is EOL and obsolete. It is unsupported and there are no patches available since its release in April 2022.

Signal boosting the statement at the beginning of this thread:

4 Likes