OpenWrt 19.07.x ath79 tiny LuCI

Thank you very much @Ashus. I saw it few days ago but I'm just inloved with your job.

Well, I'm going to try that one. I just hope it works fine, because it's a little pain in the a** to go back to stock in this hardware. I don't want to mess it. I'm so scared about it :confounded: :confounded:

CONFIG_TARGET_ar71xx=y
CONFIG_TARGET_ar71xx_tiny=y
CONFIG_TARGET_MULTI_PROFILE=y
CONFIG_TARGET_DEVICE_ar71xx_tiny_DEVICE_tl-wr740n-v1=y
CONFIG_TARGET_DEVICE_ar71xx_tiny_DEVICE_tl-wr740n-v3=y
CONFIG_TARGET_DEVICE_ar71xx_tiny_DEVICE_tl-wr740n-v4=y
CONFIG_TARGET_DEVICE_ar71xx_tiny_DEVICE_tl-wr740n-v5=y
CONFIG_TARGET_DEVICE_ar71xx_tiny_DEVICE_tl-wr740n-v6=y
CONFIG_TARGET_DEVICE_ar71xx_tiny_DEVICE_tl-wr741nd-v1=y
CONFIG_TARGET_DEVICE_ar71xx_tiny_DEVICE_tl-wr741nd-v2=y
CONFIG_TARGET_DEVICE_ar71xx_tiny_DEVICE_tl-wr741nd-v4=y
CONFIG_TARGET_DEVICE_ar71xx_tiny_DEVICE_tl-wr741nd-v5=y
CONFIG_TARGET_DEVICE_ar71xx_tiny_DEVICE_tl-wr743nd-v1=y
CONFIG_TARGET_DEVICE_ar71xx_tiny_DEVICE_tl-wr743nd-v2=y
CONFIG_TARGET_DEVICE_ar71xx_tiny_DEVICE_tl-wr802n-v1=y
CONFIG_TARGET_DEVICE_ar71xx_tiny_DEVICE_tl-wr802n-v2=y
CONFIG_TARGET_DEVICE_ar71xx_tiny_DEVICE_tl-wr840n-v2=y
CONFIG_TARGET_DEVICE_ar71xx_tiny_DEVICE_tl-wr840n-v3=y
CONFIG_TARGET_DEVICE_ar71xx_tiny_DEVICE_tl-wr841-v1.5=y
CONFIG_TARGET_DEVICE_ar71xx_tiny_DEVICE_tl-wr841-v10=y
CONFIG_TARGET_DEVICE_ar71xx_tiny_DEVICE_tl-wr841-v11=y
CONFIG_TARGET_DEVICE_ar71xx_tiny_DEVICE_tl-wr841-v12=y
CONFIG_TARGET_DEVICE_ar71xx_tiny_DEVICE_tl-wr841-v3=y
CONFIG_TARGET_DEVICE_ar71xx_tiny_DEVICE_tl-wr841-v5=y
CONFIG_TARGET_DEVICE_ar71xx_tiny_DEVICE_tl-wr841-v7=y
CONFIG_TARGET_DEVICE_ar71xx_tiny_DEVICE_tl-wr841-v8=y
CONFIG_TARGET_DEVICE_ar71xx_tiny_DEVICE_tl-wr841-v9=y
CONFIG_TARGET_DEVICE_ar71xx_tiny_DEVICE_tl-wr843nd-v1=y
CONFIG_TARGET_DEVICE_ar71xx_tiny_DEVICE_tl-wr847n-v8=y
CONFIG_TARGET_DEVICE_ar71xx_tiny_DEVICE_tl-wr940n-v4=y
CONFIG_TARGET_DEVICE_ar71xx_tiny_DEVICE_tl-wr940n-v6=y
CONFIG_TARGET_DEVICE_ar71xx_tiny_DEVICE_tl-wr941nd-v2=y
CONFIG_TARGET_DEVICE_ar71xx_tiny_DEVICE_tl-wr941nd-v3=y
CONFIG_TARGET_DEVICE_ar71xx_tiny_DEVICE_tl-wr941nd-v4=y
CONFIG_TARGET_DEVICE_ar71xx_tiny_DEVICE_tl-wr941nd-v5=y
CONFIG_TARGET_DEVICE_ar71xx_tiny_DEVICE_tl-wr941nd-v6=y
CONFIG_TARGET_DEVICE_ar71xx_tiny_DEVICE_tl-wr941nd-v6-cn=y
# CONFIG_BUSYBOX_DEFAULT_FEATURE_IPV6 is not set
CONFIG_CLEAN_IPKG=y
# CONFIG_IPV6 is not set
# CONFIG_KERNEL_CRASHLOG is not set
# CONFIG_KERNEL_DEBUG_FS is not set
# CONFIG_KERNEL_IPV6 is not set
# CONFIG_KERNEL_MAGIC_SYSRQ is not set
# CONFIG_KERNEL_PRINTK is not set
CONFIG_KERNEL_SQUASHFS_FRAGMENT_CACHE_SIZE=1
CONFIG_LUCI_SRCDIET=y
# CONFIG_PACKAGE_MAC80211_DEBUGFS is not set
# CONFIG_PACKAGE_MAC80211_MESH is not set
CONFIG_PACKAGE_cgi-io=y
CONFIG_PACKAGE_ddns-scripts=y
CONFIG_PACKAGE_iptables-mod-conntrack-extra=y
CONFIG_PACKAGE_iptables-mod-ipopt=y
CONFIG_PACKAGE_kmod-ifb=y
CONFIG_PACKAGE_kmod-ipt-conntrack-extra=y
CONFIG_PACKAGE_kmod-ipt-ipopt=y
CONFIG_PACKAGE_kmod-ipt-raw=y
# CONFIG_PACKAGE_kmod-nf-ipt6 is not set
CONFIG_PACKAGE_kmod-sched-cake=y
CONFIG_PACKAGE_kmod-sched-core=y
CONFIG_PACKAGE_libelf=y
# CONFIG_PACKAGE_libip6tc is not set
CONFIG_PACKAGE_libiwinfo-lua=y
CONFIG_PACKAGE_liblua=y
CONFIG_PACKAGE_liblucihttp=y
CONFIG_PACKAGE_liblucihttp-lua=y
CONFIG_PACKAGE_libubus-lua=y
CONFIG_PACKAGE_lua=y
CONFIG_PACKAGE_luci=y
**CONFIG_PACKAGE_luci-app-ddns=y**
CONFIG_PACKAGE_luci-app-firewall=y
**CONFIG_PACKAGE_luci-app-opkg=y**
**CONFIG_PACKAGE_luci-app-sqm=y**
CONFIG_PACKAGE_luci-base=y
CONFIG_PACKAGE_luci-compat=y
CONFIG_PACKAGE_luci-lib-ip=y
**CONFIG_PACKAGE_luci-lib-ipkg=y**
CONFIG_PACKAGE_luci-lib-jsonc=y
CONFIG_PACKAGE_luci-lib-nixio=y
CONFIG_PACKAGE_luci-mod-admin-full=y
CONFIG_PACKAGE_luci-mod-network=y
CONFIG_PACKAGE_luci-mod-status=y
CONFIG_PACKAGE_luci-mod-system=y
CONFIG_PACKAGE_luci-proto-ppp=y
CONFIG_PACKAGE_luci-theme-bootstrap=y
CONFIG_PACKAGE_rpcd=y
CONFIG_PACKAGE_rpcd-mod-file=y
CONFIG_PACKAGE_rpcd-mod-iwinfo=y
CONFIG_PACKAGE_rpcd-mod-luci=y
CONFIG_PACKAGE_rpcd-mod-rrdns=y
**CONFIG_PACKAGE_sqm-scripts=y**
**CONFIG_PACKAGE_sqm-scripts-extra=y**
CONFIG_PACKAGE_tc=y
CONFIG_PACKAGE_uhttpd=y
# CONFIG_PACKAGE_urandom-seed is not set
# CONFIG_PACKAGE_urngd is not set
CONFIG_PACKAGE_zlib=y
CONFIG_STRIP_KERNEL_EXPORTS=y
CONFIG_TARGET_SQUASHFS_BLOCK_SIZE=512
CONFIG_USE_MKLIBS=y
CONFIG_PACKAGE_getrandom=y

Looks like those mentioned features are present, not excluded from the build. Do you think it will work fine?

If that is a build config from the build mentioned above and people respond it's ok in the thread, it should be fine. If you go down the path of flashing, once in a while, you will brick something, it comes with the territory; you could buy a serial cable and learn new things :slight_smile: On the bright side, these old devices with 4MB flash are really cheap now; even new routers like Xiaomi Mi Router 4A Gigabit is cheaper than those and it's a nice opportunity to upgrade if you have configuration backup from any older OpenWRT. There is only one reason to ever go back to stock - hardware optimization makes some speeds higher, at the cost of security of course.

Hi,
TL-WA701ND v2.x Atheros AR9331 and TL-WA801ND v2 Atheros AR9341 rev3 no ath79 custom builds?

TL-MR3420 v2, v2.1, v2.2, v2.3, v2.4 Atheros AR9341
https://openwrt.ashus.net/19.07.7-targets-ath79-tiny-luci-upnp/openwrt-ath79-tiny-tplink_tl-mr3420-v2-squashfs-factory.bin . Does it works?

Unfortunately it looks like TL-WA701ND v2.x Atheros AR9331 and TL-WA801ND v2 Atheros AR9341 rev3 have not been ported from ar71xx to ath79 architecture, so latest available firmwares are with OpenWRT 18.
TL-MR3420 v2 - have you tried it?

Thanks for sharing newer firmwares on the openwrt.ashus.net website, i was able to flash my TL-WR941ND v3 and it works very well, but i want to ask you for something, i know that is probably too much to ask for help, i have tried to make a firmware for this router with usb support (you can check it out here: WR941nd v2/v3 usb support patches for 20.02 but every time that i got 1 step forward i go 2 backwards (i've never compiled anything in my life), but the usb mod is ready (imgur.com/a/rh8TqUC) and i'm very happy with the mod, unfortunately the only firmware that i tested was openwrt 14.04 and it doesn't have many features/packages, it would make my day if i could see it running with Extroot configuration, definitively will make the router much more useful, if for any reason this isn't possible i still appreciate your effort :slight_smile:

As you seem to have put a lot of effort to this, I've decided to try to make you a build without LuCI and IPv6 support - and with the USB packages mentioned in the post there. That was the only way it could fit in.
https://openwrt.ashus.net/21.02.0-targets-ath79-tiny-usb-tl-wr941-v2/
If you need a router to support USB and tinker more, you should just buy an Archer C7 that has two USB ports already and a lot of space to install additional packages.

1 Like

Thank you so much for your time, i installed the firmware but somehow i can't get the usb to recognize using "block detect" and "block info" the flash drive doesn't appear, i'm still trying to find out why, it's funny that you mention the archer c7, because after i did the usb mod and couldn't do the software side i decided to buy the archer c7 and i got up and running with usb extroot, i will test some others flash drives, maybe the one i choose don't work with this router

Unfortunatly the router isn't identifying the usb flash drive, i plug the disk and using "dmesg" it doesn't appear anything, also the flash drive doesn't flash the indicator led, i tested some others and it's the same thing, those disks work fine on the Archer c7

Hi @Ashus . Nice to talk to you again.
I need your help please... I see in OP post that you removed OPKG package.

How did you do it? Because, I'm trying to compile latest openwrt v19 (openwrt-v19.07.8) and when I try to "untick" the opkg option, it is not possible, doesn't let me unselect that option.

May you give me a hand please?

P.S.: I tryed even with command -opkg and doesn't work.

1 Like

Hi. There are dependencies, so removing one package is not possible separately. I'd recommend to take my config file, rename it to .config and move it to the sources before running make menuconfig. Or you can use TortoiseGit Merge tool and compare enabled and disabled parts easily.

1 Like

Thank you very much master. I appreciate your help :+1:t2:

EDIT:
Sorry bro, that config file... Where exactly do I have to move it? In which folder I mean

I believe it is in the root of the git repository. The .config file is autogenerated and modified when you run make menuconfig.

I was about to get crazy. I've just realized that the folder is HIDDEN!!! :woozy_face:

I created an account just to say thank you. I am using your 21.02 for wa901nd v5 as guest network originally from 18.06. It is working great. Better controls for Openwrt and security. The only drawback is the slow loading of the interface which is understandable because of the 4/32 nature of the device. And whenever I enter the Connections tab under Realtime graphs it only shows the device ip and ip address of the visited websites unlike 18.06 where the device/site names were identified. Otherwise, It's amazing how it resurrected such a legacy device. Thanks!

3 Likes

Hi, somebody has an compiled image for WA901ND v4 please?

Thanks!

edit: found it here: Index of /21.02.0-targets-ath79-tiny-luci (ashus.net)

Thank you very much!!!

I just installed 21.02.1 with the black theme on wa901nd v5. It is snappier. :slight_smile: Thanks for the update, Amazing!

I haven't been able to compile successful.
I paste the .config file in the right place, run make menuconfig, add sqm, exclude ipv6 and ppp, save and compile.
It does all the proccess fine, finish everything, but when I go to see my compilation, there is no files in folder, just manifest and other stuff, but there isn't any image for flashing.

Hoping someone can help with this, no way I can be the only person looking for this combination.

I have a few old TL-WR841N/ND revision 11 routers that I'd love to reuse as VPN routers with openvpn, does anyone have a fairly new version with Luci and openvpn they could share? I know these 4MB devices are low on space but I'd happily sacrifice just about everything other than Luci, openvpn and whatever else is a requirement for those to work, don't even care if wifi works, can rip that out if it helps with space, I'd only ever use wired connections anyway (removing wifi probably a bit extreme for most admittedly).

Looking around I found an old file that installed LEDE 17.01.6 r3979 with built in openvpn but I was having some issues connecting to my VPN provider with it (all files are known good tested on other routers and exactly as they should be but getting "Cipher aes-128-cbc not supported" message which is rather odd - can connect fine from other newer routers using this exact same config file and using aes-128-cbc so thinking this must be some weirdness with old LEDE/OpenVPN 2.4.4), would be great to try a newer OpenVPN version from this router and get additional security update/bugfixes.

Would be great if there was a newer version than 17.01.6 r3979 with built in openvpn I could try on my TL-WR841N/ND revision 11?

I had a look at the image building guide but looks like a steep learning curve really and given how popular OpenVPN is and the quantity of old 4MB devices out there that can still do a job I'm expecting someone who already has an image building VM (and knows what they are doing) could likely create such an imagine in short order or likely there are newer versions than the 17.01.6 r3979 with built in openvpn I already found that exist already?

Would really appeciate some help with this, would be crazy to have to throw these TL-WR841N/ND revision 11 routers away.

Edit: found this 17.01.7 r4030 with built in openvpn as well but same problem when I tried it although it contains the same openvpn version so I guess that makes sense...

Edit 2: Resolved issue, for some bizzare reason certain settings must be in caps for this, immediately works fine when changed to caps, crazy since older and newer versions don't need this:
cipher AES-128-CBC
auth SHA1

Would still be great to get a newer version stripped back to just include web interface and openvpn to fit 4MB but less important now I have something that actually works.

thanks

1 Like

Did you see this one?