OpenWrt 19.07.0 first release candidate

Not surprising as it is a 4/32 device probably simply out of space.

3 Likes

Hello. 19.07 has squid with logs and OpenSSL updated. Thanks for that and many other improvements like WPA3, new luci interface.
Western Digital MyBook Live Single though has no iptables support.

root@OpenWrt:~# iptables -L
iptables v1.8.3 (legacy): can't initialize iptables table `filter': Table does not exist (do you need to insmod?)
Perhaps iptables or your kernel needs to be upgraded.

https://downloads.openwrt.org/releases/19.07.0-rc1/targets/apm821xx/sata/openwrt-19.07.0-rc1-apm821xx-sata-wd_mybooklive-ext4-sysupgrade.img.gz
Thanks.

Squashfs images for the MyBook Live has other issue.

gdisk openwrt-19.07.0-rc1-apm821xx-sata-wd_mybooklive-squashfs-sysupgrade.img

Warning: File size is not a multiple of 512 bytes! Misbehavior is likely!

Number Start (sector) End (sector) Size Code Name
1 8192 24575 8.0 MiB 8300 Linux filesystem
2 32768 557055 256.0 MiB 8300 Linux filesystem

Warning! Secondary partition table overlaps the last partition by
519073 blocks!

When I try to mount second partiton with

sudo mount -o loop,offset=$((32768*512)) /openwrt-19.07.0-rc1-apm821xx-sata-wd_mybooklive-squashfs-sysupgrade.img /mnt

mount: /mnt: wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock on /dev/loop0, missing codepage or helper program, or other error.

Thank you.

Can you please show the output of the following commands?

df -h
mount

Hello. Thank you for your awesome work! 19.07 is going to be a very nice release.

I had some problem installing 19.07.0-rc1 on TP-Link WR902AC v1. The platform is ar71xx since there's no choice. I've used LuCI to install an update (sysupgrade image), and told to erase settings. After flashing the device, the router refused to boot, blinking all it's LEDs every 10 or 20 seconds. I have checked sha256sum of the image, and it was OK. To debrick my device, I followed the TFTP instruction. After flashing 19.07 factory image using this method, the router started, but was dropping the settings each time I've done a reboot. I have tried to flash the sysupgrade image again, but the result was the same, the router became bricked. Also, there were some errors when I was trying to install a package:

root@OpenWrt:~# opkg install /tmp/kmod-usb-net-rtl8152_4.14.151-1_mips_24kc.ipk 
Upgrading kmod-usb-net-rtl8152 on root from 4.9.120-1 to 4.14.151-1...
Collected errors:
 * pkg_get_installed_files: Failed to open //usr/lib/opkg/info/kmod-usb-net-asix-ax88179.list: No such file or directory.
 * pkg_get_installed_files: Failed to open //usr/lib/opkg/info/kmod-ath10k.list: No such file or directory.
 * pkg_get_installed_files: Failed to open //usr/lib/opkg/info/libiwinfo.list: No such file or directory.
 * pkg_get_installed_files: Failed to open //usr/lib/opkg/info/libuci.list: No such file or directory.
 * pkg_get_installed_files: Failed to open //usr/lib/opkg/info/liblua.list: No such file or directory.
 * pkg_get_installed_files: Failed to open //usr/lib/opkg/info/libip4tc.list: No such file or directory.
 * pkg_get_installed_files: Failed to open //usr/lib/opkg/info/libuclient.list: No such file or directory.
 * pkg_get_installed_files: Failed to open //usr/lib/opkg/info/libjson-c.list: No such file or directory.
 * pkg_get_installed_files: Failed to open //usr/lib/opkg/info/libgcc.list: No such file or directory.
 * pkg_get_installed_files: Failed to open //usr/lib/opkg/info/travelmate.list: No such file or directory.
 * pkg_get_installed_files: Failed to open //usr/lib/opkg/info/libip6tc.list: No such file or directory.
 * pkg_get_installed_files: Failed to open //usr/lib/opkg/info/libubox.list: No such file or directory.
 * pkg_get_installed_files: Failed to open //usr/lib/opkg/info/liblucihttp.list: No such file or directory.
 * pkg_get_installed_files: Failed to open //usr/lib/opkg/info/ath10k-firmware-qca9887.list: No such file or directory.
 * pkg_get_installed_files: Failed to open //usr/lib/opkg/info/libubus.list: No such file or directory.
 * pkg_get_installed_files: Failed to open //usr/lib/opkg/info/libxtables.list: No such file or directory.
 * satisfy_dependencies_for: Cannot satisfy the following dependencies for kmod-usb-net-rtl8152:
 *      kernel (= 4.14.151-1-342af9e4f67b3447c53216ab8e3b12a1)
 * opkg_install_cmd: Cannot install package kmod-usb-net-rtl8152.

Also, what's the status of TP-Link MR3420 v2? This router is available in make menuconfig list, but there are no prebuilt images.

You can't upgrade OpenWrt in that way. You will need a complete, self-consistent image if you want to change kernel modules.

Bulk upgrading of packages is not recommended and can lead to a soft-brick condition.

On the TP-Link MR3420 v2, a likely cause is that the image no longer fits in the flash. See https://openwrt.org/supported_devices/openwrt_on_432_devices

Edit: The MR3420 v2 on the openwrt-19.07 branch appears only to be supported on the deprecated, ar71xx target

jeff@deb-devel:~/devel/openwrt$ fgrep -ri mr3420 target/linux/ | fgrep TARGET
target/linux/ar71xx/image/tiny-tp-link.mk:TARGET_DEVICES += tl-mr3420-v1
target/linux/ar71xx/image/tiny-tp-link.mk:TARGET_DEVICES += tl-mr3420-v2
target/linux/ath79/image/tiny-tp-link.mk:TARGET_DEVICES += tplink_tl-mr3420-v1
target/linux/ramips/image/mt76x8.mk:TARGET_DEVICES += tplink_tl-mr3420-v5

It is available on ath79 on master/snapshot http://downloads.openwrt.org/snapshots/targets/ath79/tiny/

1 Like

You can't upgrade OpenWrt in that way. You will need a complete, self-consistent image if you want to change kernel modules.
Bulk upgrading of packages is not recommended and can lead to a soft-brick condition.

Thank you for the response. I have upgraded to 19.07 first. Actually, I have done it twice, first time using sysupgrade image and second time using TFTP and factory image. I explicitly told LuCI not to keep settings while doing an upgrade. For some reason, userdata was not erased properly, and some files like installed package info were remaining.

No image = image too big to fit the flash 99% of the time.

High latency on wifi its fixed in davidc502 build

The router does not work after installing

Your problem is then not of the class "Images for some device became too big to support a persistent overlay, causing such models to lose configuration after a reboot."

Did you analyze what does not work after installing?

1 Like

Having been waiting for forever for a stable non-snapshot build for my TP-Link Archer A7 v5, I happily flashed my router today.

Incredibly easy to flash and configure. Best of all, because I used the same SSID and password, all my devices reconnected without issue.

Even better, the problem I had with 5GHz connections dropping randomly using the "official" firmware seems to have gone away entirely now that I'm using OpenWrt.

Thank you very much for this release.

2 Likes

Tested OK. Waiting for final release.

Next release candidate version rc2 was tagged yesterday and is being built by the buildbot right now. About 25% of the images have been built so far... The build will take 1-2 days, so the 19.07.0-rc2 announcement might come in a few days.

https://downloads.openwrt.org/releases/19.07.0-rc2/targets/

https://buildbot.openwrt.org/openwrt-19.07/images/grid

https://git.openwrt.org/?p=openwrt/openwrt.git;a=shortlog;h=628e9969288a605565793358bf7468276b8774e6

6 Likes

Good news!

Looking forward to testing rc2. My EA6350v3 loses wifi after a couple days of growing memory use followed by automatic process killing. The unit is not particularly stressed - running as an AP with ~4 2.4G clients, ~2 5G clients and 2 wired clients. I captured a memory plot, syslog and kernel log here: 20191201 EA6350 v3 19-07 rc1 Memory-Crash Issues.odt

I've tried latest snapshot and have the same issue (actually started there, and dropped back to rc1 hoping it might resolve it).

@eginnc, try replacing the ath10k driver and firmware with the non -ct version. This can be done with a simple opkg remove and install.

@eginnc Please file a bug here as well so devs can follow up on it.

Bug report filed: https://bugs.openwrt.org/index.php?do=details&task_id=2647