OpenWrt 19.07.0 first release candidate

Something is very, very strange with what I'm seeing.

Your build commit says you're running a snapshot (from master) build after CommitDate: Mon Jun 17 09:42:37 2019 +0200, which made ar71xx "source-only" (no further builds created)

The lack of uhttpd is consistent with a snapshot build, not a release build.

https://openwrt.org/toh/netgear/wndr3700 seems inconsistent with "the 256 MB -> 128 MB downsize" as, according to that page, the WNDR3700 (v1) is an 8/64 device.

"LEDE_BOARD" was changed to "OPENWRT_BOARD" in commit 8a34a54b6a on master, CommitDate: Wed Jun 26 07:00:04 2019 +0200 and backported to openwrt-19.07 on Thu Jun 27 17:17:24 2019 +0200

If you're running a snapshot (which I believe that you are), then LuCI is not pre-installed.

If I were in your shoes at this point, I'd

• Make the transition to ath79
  • With either 19.07 RC1 or with a conscious decision to use snapshot builds

The safest way to transition to ath79 is to back up your config to a "desktop" machine (it's a tar file, which can be extracted and examined on most desktops), flash the ath79 image with sysupgrade (as you don't have LuCI installed), then recreate your config using the files from the backup as a reference.

2 Likes

Okay, I've tossed on ' OpenWrt 18.06.5 r7897-9d401013fc' in the meantime. I'll check out the ath79 image later.

1 Like

We say "Give wells, not water"
If you have a Snapshot version, you better learn to install Luci from SSH. It will be easy for you, if you are looking for a GUI.

Basic internet configuration:

You can set a basic internet configuration with uci commands. Assuming your main router (gateway) has the IP 192.168.1.1 (the most common). Follow these steps.

Connect only the ethernet cable from the WNDR3700 to your computer, and telnet it or ssh.
Execute these commands
uci set network.lan.ipaddr=192.168.1.254
uci set network.lan.netmask=255.255.255.0
uci set network.lan.gateway=192.168.1.1
uci set network.lan.dns='8.8.8.8 192.168.1.1'
uci commit network
You may also need to disable the dhcp server

/etc/init.d/dnsmasq disable

Reboot the WNDR3700

reboot

Connect an ethernet cable from the WNDR3700 to the main router (gateway).
Now the WNDR3700 IP is 192.168.1.254, telnet or ssh it.
Ping any internet address, or install a package

opkg update
opkg install luci
1 Like

By the way...
EnGenius ESR-9752 - It seems to work properly with EnGenius ESR-9753 firmware.

hello, and thanks to all dev. upgrate to 19.07.0 all my devices, alot devices, every single one is working good. but i see no release for the comfast cf-314 v2, this little device is working good from the beginning. any special reason ?

For some strange reason on my ath9k wifi router (tp-link 1043v5) i cant get WPA3 working.

I went into detail here because the issue looks same for me : Does anyone get WPA3-SAE working with MT76?

Since moving to 19.07 I've being seeing these warnings in the log. Both the ath9k-eeprom-pci* files exist in /lib/firmware. Device is a wndr3800.

kern.warn kernel: [   11.059168] owl-loader 0000:00:11.0: Direct firmware load for ath9k-eeprom-pci-0000:00:11.0.bin failed with error -2
kern.warn kernel: [   11.078145] owl-loader 0000:00:12.0: Direct firmware load for ath9k-eeprom-pci-0000:00:12.0.bin failed with error -2

Chances are you have different firmware blobs in /lib/firmware, as long as it works nothing to worry about. Driver tries multiple firmware files usually.

1 Like

Just wondering, what advantages does the ath79 version have over the ar71xx version?

For most devices, on-going support is the primary advantage of ath79 over ar71xx. The ar71xx platform has been deprecated and will be discontinued after this release, as I understand it.

A secondary benefit is that development has been focused on ath79 for many, many months, with little effort going into the ar71xx platform. An ath79 build may contain enhancements and bug-fixes over the corresponding ar71xx build.

1 Like

Taadaa! Thank you!

Looks fine :slight_smile:

okay after a few Minutes no connection possible.
w/ WPA2 + 802.11w Management Frame Protection = required also fail

Is a TP-Link Archer C7 v2 supposed to support WPA3 or not? I didn’t see the option, just wonder if there’s something wrong with my config or not.

Yes, but like for every other device you need wpad-openssl or wpad-wolfssl instead of wpad-mini or wpad-basic which are preinstalled by default.

Thanks @slh, just installed wpad-openssl and WPA3 is available. People may need to remove the wpad-basic package before installing wpad-openssl or wpad-wolfssl.

hello everyone,

I am having issue to get msmtp to work, unable to send mail.
Is anyone else have issue with msmtp on 19.07?

wireguard related ping issue - command line v/s luci:
I can ping a device at the remote site via luci interface with 0 packet lost BUT 100% packet lost via commandline ping

LAN and WAN ping replies from both luci and commandline good though

"Sysupgrade from ar71xx to ath79 and vice versa is not officially supported, a full manual reinstall is recommended to switch targets for devices supported by both ar71xx and ath79"

"A full manual reinstall" on ar71xx router? How to?

2 Likes

As easy as

# sysupgrade -n $ath79_firmware_sysupgrade_binary

If sysupgrade complains about an unsupported device, and you're sure you have the right one, add -F to the command. Make sure you have the correct sysupgrade (not factory!) binary though, since -F will force it.

2 Likes

Hello and thanks. I managed to have my routers working with rc1 BUT sometimes the log reports:

Wed Nov 20 21:01:50 2019 daemon.info dnscrypt-proxy[2173]: dnscrypt-proxy Refetching server certificates
Wed Nov 20 21:02:05 2019 daemon.err dnscrypt-proxy[2173]: dnscrypt-proxy Unable to retrieve server certificates

When this happens I'm unable to pass https://www.cloudflare.com/ssl/encrypted-sni/
the router fails the SecureDNS test.
I started from factory image, then I installed in this order: wget ca-certificates luci-ssl dnscrypt-proxy getdns adblock luci-app-adblock stubby
It always worked without problems in other versions... Any ideas?
Thanks