OpenWrt 18.06.1 Wifi client / Wifi Extender or Repeater or Bridge Configuration with splash screen login at hotelinking.com (No WPA2 key)

Router with USB WiFi adapter with auxiliary antenna for stronger signal.

Running:
Openwrt 18.06.1 as wifi client / wifi repeater
Working perfect when I test it at home.
[Home access point ip number:192.168.10.1
My OpenWrt router static address: 192.168.1.1]
With WPA2 personal + AES, WiFi key
(connects to another wifi network by using its own radio. my OpenWrt device creates its own subnet)

(Question:
I do not know if there is any difference in how the router behaves
depending on whether it´s own subnet se,
https://openwrt.org/docs/guide-user/network/wifi/connect_client_wifi
or
a wifi repeater that keeps devices connected to this device in the same subnet as the WiFi acess point.
https://openwrt.org/docs/guide-user/network/wifi/relay_configuration)

Connects my OpenWrt device to another wifi network using its own radio.
[Hotel access point ip number:172.17.0.1
My OpenWrt router static address: 192.168.1.1]

PROBLEM, Hotel:
Has configured my OpenWrt router that I intend to use on hotels as a WiFi access point
in my own hotel room.

Starts the router and search for client WiFi network.
Connects with "Join"

The Hotel has NOT a protected WiFi but a open free WiFi network with
a "splash screen login".

I will not get to the start page the"splash screen login".
To provide the information needed to connect to the WiFi network at the hotel.

Thank you for helping me configure my OpenWRT router so I can bring it to different hotels without any problems.

First of all, I want to configure the router so that I can see the hotel's "login screen".

And on the first device that connects to my own
WiFi repeater, fill in the required information.
Preferably only once.

Alternatively, easily configure a logon script that works in all hotels.

The service the hotel uses is called:

Please advice

You might consider the "travelmate" package, which has a strong following of users wishing to do much the same thing.

This sort of setup is always a routed client. Your LAN network must be a different range than the hotel. Your router NATs between them.

Once you have the router connected to the hotel, go to an Internet web site with your LAN PC's web browser. This should bounce to the login page. When you log in you are actually logging in the router, so all other devices on the LAN side should now have Internet without individually logging in.

Do I need the "travelmate" package?

Or should I go with "mk24" suggestion, Routed wifi client with MASQUERADE?
Is this link right fore me:?
https://openwrt.org/docs/guide-user/network/routedclient ?

Is there any detailed guide for the best configuration?

"Best" depends on your skill level and tolerance for occasional "quick thinking" when you go to a new location. I don't think that the travelmate package does things significantly differently than what mk24 has proposed. It does, however, simplify the configuration and modification of that configuration.

There is some trickiness with a single-radio device being in both client and AP mode that, as I understand it, the travelmate package makes significantly easier to deal with. (In general, an AP on the same radio as the client won't come up until the client connects, perhaps requiring a wired connection to the router to resolve otherwise.)

The problem is captive portal. You will need to turn off rebind protection in dnsmasq.conf

Can anyone show a good instruction to install and configure my router in the best way for this purpose.

WiFi routed client. ?

OR

TravelMate?

Regards

My skill level is medium and my tolerance for occasional "quick thinking" is low.

Simple and stable function at all hotels without any problem.

Perhaps OpenWrt is not the best tool for you...

I'd look at the travelmate package and at least skim the support thread.

Hello,
As usual, much bullshit instead of concrete help.

I run half a dozen OpenWrt routers as well as two OpenWrt hotspots. So I consider myself an average user.

I would like to have advice acourding to my problem description, instead of advice whether I should run OpenWrt or not.

This would be an elemental problem that many already solved in an elegant way.

Thanks for advice to solve my problem.

You've been given two, good, concrete alternatives. You've been given opinions about them, based on the very sketchy description of your use cases, technical skill, and tolerance for configuration. I'm beginning to think that @eduperez comment is correct and that you should consider a commercially supported travel router and deal with the OEM support.

2 Likes