OpenVPN very slow speed

Hello. I have a problem with OpenVPN. The problem is that when I connect to my vpn provider, namely to ExpressVPN, I have a very low speed. I have already changed the vpn providers (ProtonVPN, VyprVPN) but it didn’t help. I also changed servers but the speed did not increase much.

Without VPN I have: 100 Mbit/s download and 100 Mbit/s upload.
With VPN I have 10 Mbit/s download and 10 Mbit/s upload.

I think that the problem is in my router, because if I connect through a computer (using the same server, and the same protocol) my speed is on average 75 Mbit /s

My router: TP-LINK Archer C60

That's par for the course for the CPU in your router. It simply isn't powerful enough to do better, at least not with OpenVPN and AES-256 encryption as used by your VPN providers.

2 Likes

Well, I assumed that the power of my router is not enough, thanks for the answer. Can you suggest some good router with a powerful processor for vpn? There is also another question, if I use the WireGuard protocol on my router (TP-LINK ARCHER C60), will there be an increase in power? Does the WireGuard protocol require a lot of processor power to function properly?

WireGuard is typically faster, yes. If OpenVPN gives you 10 mbit, WireGuard will get you ... 30? 35? 40? Something in that ballpark.

As for router suggestions, there are already a few threads in the forum, there's even a section for "recommendations."

3 Likes

Well, thank you

See also
https://openwrt.org/docs/guide-user/services/vpn/openvpn/performance
https://openwrt.org/docs/guide-user/services/vpn/wireguard/performance

3 Likes

You sound disappointed. Please know that it's not my (or I'm sure anyone's) intention to brush you off. I just really didn't want to open the n-th "which router is the best for me" discussion in a thread that started with a different question. I see you already started a thread over in the recommendations section.

OpenVPN can be faster if you're using CHACHA20-POLY1305 algo.

AES for MIPS is overkill because there isn't AES accelerated instructions. Such instructions can be found on newest ARM CPUs and x86.

No problem :smile: , I'm not upset. I understand you. Thanks for your help, I really appreciate it :wink:

Thanks for the advice, I will check with my vpn provider if it supports this algorithm

This topic was automatically closed 10 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.