OpenVPN failed attempts - banIP to block ip's?

My phone does not try 1194 first!

Are you sure that you have completely removed the 1194 port line in the conf file for the client. It sound like you have two lines with the old and new port. Then OVPN has a function to try the first and move on to next port in the list until something works.

What url lists are recommended? I struggle with this on adblock as well, not sure what to chose. Would be nice to have this mentioned in the github readme :slight_smile:

I'll try again with my phone, I'm 100% sure that there is no sign of the port 1194 in client config file. :slight_smile:

I completely agree that the URL list are not easy to choose between.

I personally favor “common criminal list names” like TOR servers, bitcoin, ransomeware etc.
And lists with a lot of addresses in them with the theory “take 1000 and pay for 100” as seen from the router memory cost standpoint.
But if this is the right thing to do I don’t know, it feels a lot like lottery?

In BanIP I also have a small manual blacklist for the ones trying to enter OVPN at port 1194 before I changed the port.

And as you have mentioned upstream this post I also have brute force login attempts blocking turned on.

I have also noticed that BanIP automatically put the ISP DHCP server in the white list after a while.

OpenVPN on iPhone is ok, maybe a old entry or something strange last time I wrote about it. :slight_smile:
I've enabled banip and lists tor and yoyo, I think yoyo is used on adblock as well!
Should that be updated every day as well?
I copy pasted the code from github and edited time to this morning, but nothing happened. Maybe a reboot of the cron job service is needed?
Anywhere I can check actually blocked events/ips by banip? :slight_smile:

It is optional to reload BanIP so it downloads updated lists but a good tactic is every day.

A good old reboot is also a good tactic after system admin job.

Cron is little special, if I remember right when you specify the first job you need to restart cron. And it must always be a new empty line at the bottom in the cron list.

I have a little memory of the same fault when I installed BanIP that the cron job line at github is wrong and not compatible with the time settings for OWRT. Check the position and layout with the OWRT cron instruction.

This topic was automatically closed 10 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.