OpenVPN configuration

Just checked supported devices looks like only WRT-300N V1.1 is supported. So much for that idea.

BTW, you only need to use one post to reply, as we can all see.

TP-Link TL-WR1043ND v5 is supported.

Update - bricked the Linksys WRT-300N. Tried installing OpenVPN on the TL-940N - got message not enough file system space. I have flashed the OpenWRT firmware onto the TL-1043ND successfully. I found a great tutorial written by an OpenWRT community member on the NordVPN site. I am following the doc - have successfully installed OpenVPN - have copied the opvn config file and made appropriate changes. In the tutorial - it talks about making openvpn start automatically via - "/etc/init.d openvpn enable". Struggling with making this happen - not sure what the underlying OS version is?

Have you installed the OpenVPN packages yet? They should have installed the start-up script.

Does

ls -l /etc/init.d/

show -- ah, wait -- actually, don't wait, but look at the output of that command to confirm that openvpn is there.

Then the command should probably be

/etc/init.d/openvpn enable

Yes - successfully installed openvpn packages - it also shows up in Luci now. Configuring via putty - when i do a ls in the /etc/init.d folder - i see only "openvpn" - i'm not clear on how to modify it to "openvpn enable"?

btw - keep getting hit with "you have reached maximum number of replies on first day" This is officially day 2. LOL

1 Like

You aren't modifying it, but rather running it

/etc/init.d/openvpn enable
# ^- executable     ^- argument to executable

ahh - thanks!

for "thanks", "good idea", "I'll try that", or the like, will save your post count, as well as making the thread more readable

3 Likes

Go to a site that reports your IP, such as entering "whatsmyip" into Google and see if it is the VPN server, not the one of your ISP.

If you want more than one VPN user at at time you need to set up another interface along the lines of a guest or IoT network and NAT them into the VPN tunnel. In other words don't go directly from a user into the VPN tunnel.

Still ISP address - couple checks - one is Nordvpn/profile - shows where you're ip is geographically located - other is trying to hit sling.tv - which does a check to see if your ip resideds within the US.

So this router is sitting behind a primary router - have created two separate networks - i would like anyone connecting to the vpn router whether via ethernet or wireless to automatically travel through the vpn tunnel. Ultimately - the only devices on this network would be the Roku devices. Unfortunately - there is no way to configure DNS on the Roku's - so couldn't use DNS spoofing - so hence - the vpn route.

So can i bridge the existing lan and wireless interfaces to the vpn tunnel interface? Or somehow force it to through the vpn tunnel?

Status update: messing around with the firewall zones I managed to hose the TL-1043ND completely. Did a 30-30-30 reset to get it back to the base OpenWRT config. E I then found another tutorial - https://stitchroads.blogspot.com/2018/08/how-to-setup-nordvpn-openvpn-on.html - even though it was using Luci decided to give it a try. End result is success! So far performance - ie streaming Sling TV through a Roku device - is pretty good - actually seems faster than previous setup using the Linksys WRT300n - running tomato firmware through a different vpn provider. On OPenWRT - while streaming from one device currently is showing 56% free memory, 3% buffered, checking the realtime load - doesn't appear to be working hard. Again ... thanks for the help!!!

1 Like

If your problem is solved, please consider marking this topic as [Solved]. (Click the pencil behind the topic...)

Mythical, knights of yore, kind of thing.

With most of the dinosaurs no longer roaming free, https://openwrt.org/docs/guide-user/troubleshooting/failsafe_and_factory_reset is a lot easier.

1 Like

Yes he's been hanging around ddwrt for too long. Holding down the reset button (or any button) while the power is unplugged isn't going to do anything.

WRT300nv1 = 240 MHz CPU, TL-WR1043v5 750 MHz. That's a difference for VPN performance. Although if you have an ISP faster than about 15 Mb you're likely still CPU limited.

LOL - spent 30 years in IT .. system administrator, network engineer, etc etc .... been retired for a couple of years .... old habits die hard. This little exercise did bring back memories of long nights programming routers to get fractional T1 dedicated networks up and running and other fun stuff. So for the benefit of other newbies - the install instructions posted on the NordVPN site are good but a couple of differences. The instructions walk you through setting up a configuration for one specific VPN server to connect to. Additonally, i felt it stopped short of being a complete end-to-end tutorial. In as much to say, it appeared i had OpenVPN up and running but it stopped short of walking through the final steps of configuration and i struggled from that point. I believe someone with more experience with OpenWRT would have been able to complete it. On the otherhand, the second tutorial that walks through the setup using Luci - used a config profile that would allow you choose from a handful of different servers located in different countries - which may or may not be useful at some point but certainly more convenient. The tutorial also carried the instructions all the way to completion - where i was able to connect and complete the configuration. Others will likely have different experiences but as they say that's my two cents. Reaching out on this forum without a doubt helped point me in the right direction. The TL1043ND - may not be the best option but as mentioned previously - router choices/availability is limited in this part of the world. So far performance has been good - no latency or lags streaming - don't anticipate a lot of heavy traffic as there is just two of us. For regular internet browsing - will use the primary router network. Heading back to the states in a month for a quick visit - if need be will pick up a new VPN router. I looked around - didn't see the option to mark the thread solved.