OpenVPN configuration

Hello - New to OpenWRT - still combing through the documentation trying to get familiar with it could use a little guidance. First my setup. Trying to configure a dual router home setup - with vpn router behind a primary. The primary is a TP-Link TL WR1043N v5 - it has the factory firmware and is up and running. The vpn router is a TP-Link TLWR940 v6 - running OpenWRT - openwrt-18.06.4-ar71xx-tiny-tl-wr940n-v6-squashfs-factory.bin. The VPN router is up and running - the network is configured as well as the wireless. I can connect to the wireless on the VPN router and get out to the internet. I can only access the VPN router console when connected directly to it via ethernet cable. I should mention i am an ex-pat living in central america - goal is to configure OpenVPN on the VPN router - and connect Roku devices to it - to be able to watch US television content. The challenge i am trying to work through right now is when logged into the Luci gui - there is no services tab. I have also connected via Putty - and working through it but would prefer the convenience of the gui - retired IT guy here - i've done my fair share of command line programming. I found a couple posts related to it but the resolution seems unclear. I am in the process of researching how to install OpenVPN - was hoping someone on the forum would be kind enough to point me in the right direction.
Cheers!

PS - i have not installed any packages as yet - just running the base OpenWRT firmware thus far.

You'll need something with more flash and RAM to run OpenVPN. The WR940 is a 4/32 machine it is suitable only for very basic operation.

1 Like

"Services" is only populated when extra packages are installed that create a new service.

2 Likes

Bummer - ok - i'll continue the exercise to get familiar with configuring OpenWRT. Thx

Ok - thanks. Reading through installing packages now.

1 Like

specifically luci-app-service, which will usually pull in the underlying binaries for service as a dependency.

Configuring OpenVPN manually is recommended over using Luci, especially if you will be running as a client of a commercial server and they provide an .ovpn configuration file.

2 Likes

Please remember - you don't have a lot of space to work with:

As @mk24 pointed out, the TL-WR940 has limited resources. Even if you manage to get the packages you need installed on the limited FLA space, the device (and you) will have hard time running them due to its limited RAM and CPU power.

You would hopefully get better results if you would do that on the TL-WR1043N--not that it's the prefect device for the job but it's at least better.

Understood - and looks like the initial configuration will be via cli - but would be nice to have the gui available for future monitoring etc. i originally had a Linksys WRT-300N running the Tomato firmware - but started having issues with the vpn provider - switched to a new vpn provider and could not get it to work correctly - unable to resolve DNS - no matter what i tired - even stumped the vpn provider support - tried installing the WRT-DD firmware on it - but the image for it would only support older vpn protocols which are no longer supported by vpn provider. Went out and picked up the TP-Links yesterday - the choices and availability of Wifi routers here is very limited - for a better router will have to wait for next trip back to the states. In the meantime - i'll try to see if i can get this setup at least functioning. Thanks for your help!

The WR1043v5, having 16/64 memory, should be (barely) suitable. Either run everything on that, or swap the roles of the two that you have.

Yeah - when i picked them up yesterday - i did a quick check on the WRT-DD database in the store - looked like both were supported. When i got home and checked the revision - and checked the database again - found neither hardware revision on each router was supported by WRT-DD. After some research - found the image for the 940N on the OpenWrt site. These were the best available in the store. Ok - might have to re-think this.

4/32 devices are EOLed after 2019

I can't recommend anything less than 16 MB of flash and 128 MB of RAM for a new purchase at this time. There are some great devices that meet those specs starting at around US$20, with the field opening up quite a bit at around US$40.

2 Likes

Looks like OpenWRT supports the LInksys WRT300N - it was working fine before started having vpn provider issues. Will try flashing it with the OpenWRT image. So the OpenWRT learning curve at least is not for nothing.

Yes I'd flash the WR940 back to stock and return it to the store, if they will give your money back. It's really not useful for OpenWrt unless you hack it with larger memory chips.

2 Likes

Thanks for the replies - probably saved me a lot time and aggravation with the 940N. Will give the WRT300N a shot with OpenWRT - and report back with status.

2 Likes

There is no such thing.

• This project is called OpenWrt
  • Another project, named DD-WRT, is completely unrelated

Just to make sure you have the correct link to search hardware: https://openwrt.org/toh/start

BTW, @flyinraptr, welcome to the community!

Take a look at the two infoboxes at the top of the page: https://openwrt.org/toh/hwdata/linksys/linksys_wrt300n_v1.1

If you want to buy a new device, please take a look at https://openwrt.org/toh/views/toh_available_16128

1 Like

Thanks - typo - meant DD-WRT.

1 Like

Thanks - the Linksys WRT-300N i have is v1.0. OpenVPN was working on it with the Tomato firmware - thinking worth a shot to see if it will run with OpenWRT on it.