OpenVPN client Failed running command (--up/--down)

First openvpn install. From a user level perspective this seems to be a permissions issue but my searches here and DuckDuckGo do not quite match what I see from logread.

config and logread

Thanks.

edit 1: I followed only 'client openvpn' instructions. My goal is connect to a VPN Provider service, not run a VPN server on my router. But now I wonder if 'client only' instructions are adequate..

edit 2: The error msg:

Thu Dec 6 02:14:25 2018 daemon.notice openvpn(vpnclient)[6860]: /sbin/ifconfig tun0 10.8.4.3 netmask 255.255.255.0 mtu 1500 broadcast 10.8.4.255
Thu Dec 6 02:14:25 2018 daemon.notice openvpn(vpnclient)[6860]: /etc/openvpn/update-resolv-conf tun0 1500 1585 10.8.4.3 255.255.255.0 init
Thu Dec 6 02:14:25 2018 daemon.err openvpn(vpnclient)[6860]: WARNING: Failed running command (--up/--down): could not execute external program

occurs since /etc/openvpn/update-resolv-conf does not exist. The .opvn file provided by my VPN Provider invokes it:

script-security 2
up /etc/openvpn/update-resolv-conf
down /etc/openvpn/update-resolv-conf

This script addresses DNS leaks in Ubuntu and is available here: edit 3: I do not know what causes leaks.

github openvpn-update-resolv

edit 4: Add .ovpn file via pastebin and added OpenVPN to title:
.ovpn file

Has anyone seen this before? Is there a workaround?

Thanks.

From my personal experience, those instructions are adequate for most users. But as you suggested that your VPN provider has some extra config it is possible that you need some extra files. I would suggest you to comment out those lines in the config and restart the OpenVPN and see if it works and as for the up/down command lines I think someone with more knowledge on this can help you better.

ahmar16,

I tried commenting out the up/down lines. Pardon me for not noting that..

The parts seem to be there but over my head to put them in place as needed.

Thanks much.