Online ImageBuilder and Upgrade Server

I think the online image builder is the best thing for openwrt.
It enables users to get an own image with all the packages they individually need, without building openwrt for themselfs, which i think is a big waste of time and resources. I wish openwrt-devs will spend more time/resources in future on an (online) imagebuilder (with frontend). So maybe someday we even get a (official openwrt) automatic firmware-upgrade-thingi ...

2 Likes

Thanks for your sarcastic comment.

Are you serious? It's much faster and easier to use image builder locally.

1 Like

Yes i am serious ... to use imagebuilder locally first of all i need a linux x64 vm/machine.
Download the latest imagebuilder package for my arch.
Unzip ... make command ... downloading the needed packages ... jadajadajada ... yeah i know, i can write a script for that. ... backup router ... scp image to router and flash and pray.

With online image builder i just login to luci ... do a backup ...click search update wait a bit and click on flash and pray... on my phone.

And in my statement i meant building openwrt with the buildroot.

2 Likes

i sincerely appreciate the help of this online community and particularly those like @apacar who have shared their resources widely.
i have used his online imagebuilder and it has been very helpful. it takes <5 min to get a downloadable image and sysupgrade file.
i have also built images locally. i am not a linux guru or devceloper and therefore have worked pretty hard with a lot of mis-steps and learning to get local image building to work. after many months, i might have gotten a build config that is sustainable. and because my local hardware is not super-fast (only i7/16gb ram/500 gb sata ssd) by today's standards, it takes about 30 minutes to step through the build process and get something done. unless there has been a substantial source update; then it might take 1-8 hours for a complete repository upgrade and re-make. the result is configurable highly but also labor- and time- intensive.

so - both approaches are worthwhile for differnt purposes and people. why bash either?
again, this community has been so helpful for so many things.
thank you

2 Likes

it offers an API (covered below) to request custom images with any selection of packages pre-installed

{"target":"bcm27xx/bcm2711","profile":"raspberrypi,4-model-b","version":"SNAPSHOT","packages":["debian-archive-keyring"]}

{"message":"Unsupported package(s): debian-archive-keyring","status":"bad_packages"}

Also the setup should not HTTPS to allow clients without SSL/certificates to check for upgrades

why is /store hardcoded in the luci app?

@apacar -
for your site chef.libremesh.org, are there plans to add 19.07.5 as an option?
thanks!

Matter of time.

1 Like

hello your latest user interface in your website can't install "luci" anymore in Snapshot it's weird but this is the first time i encounter this kind of problem i installed some packages it just works just fine except for "luci"

edit : it's ok now

1 Like

@apacar Is something going on with chref.libremesh.org? In attended-sysupgrade and on chef.libremesh.org it just stays in "request image". Looks like https://chef.libremesh.org/api/* is not found.

1 Like

Hi, the setup uses partly the Python web framework Flask to handle API requests and partly Nginx to serve static content. Everything under /store is static. There is no particular reason it's store and not images or whatever.

Yes, sorry I've been a bit slacking regarding the updates. I also added 19.07.7 and 21.02-SNAPSHOTS, please give it a spin.

1 Like

I tried it with the latest snapshot on a Generic x86 image and compilation worked fine. Could you please provide additional details what went wrong?

I think the university providing me the build server had a power cut resulting in some downtime. Sorry for that.

1 Like

everything is fine since your last fix :slight_smile: i can build now without any errors

Just tried https://chef.libremesh.org/api/versions and still got an 404 resulting in attended_sysupgrade in Luci hangs.

Edit: just read, that there is no complex version api anymore. Updated the Luci-App-attendedsysupgrade and now its working :slight_smile:

Nice work.

2 Likes

Thanks for testing. Can you verify that the keep settings option works as expected?

Thanks to @daniel we now have a nice CLI which allows upgrades via the terminal. I already upgraded my devices with it and so far the experience is great!

Please give it a try: https://github.com/aparcar/asu/#cli

2 Likes
instance/cache/SNAPSHOT/ramips/mt7621/dl/lime-profiles
Downloading https://feed.libremesh.org/profiles/Packages.sig
Signature check passed.
Collected errors:
 * check_data_file_clashes: Package iw-full wants to install file /home/aparcar/asu/var/asu-instance/cache/SNAPSHOT/ramips/mt7621/build_dir/target-mipsel_24kc_musl/root-ramips/usr/sbin/iw
	But that file is already provided by package  * iw
 * opkg_install_cmd: Cannot install package iw-full.
make[2]: *** [Makefile:167: package_install] Error 255
make[1]: *** [Makefile:132: _call_manifest] Error 2
make: *** [Makefile:251: manifest] Error 2

Hi, is it possible to remove/exclude a package from the build?
I want generate the firmware with iw-full included, but it gets this error.