Onion Omega2(+) -- Watchdog Timer Available?

In looking for some hardware for a non-router project, I came across the Onion Omega2(+) devices, which run and are supported by LEDE/OpenWrt. In reading the MediaTek MT7688 datasheet, it looks like there is a watchdog timer in the SoC. If there is some experience with that, I'd appreciate any guidance around:

• Is the WDT already supported in OpenWrt?
  • Is the WDT "safe" to use (as opposed to the WDT of Death that I've read a power-off shutdown of certain Pi-class devices can cause)?
  • Confirm or correct my understanding that the WDT limit is 32 bits at 1 µs per "tick"

Any general impressions of using the device would be welcome -- My application is not routing (it's real-time control and monitoring) and probably could be handled adequately with an 8-bit microprocessor with a USB port. It's just gotten to the point where it's $5 for a cheap Arduino Nano clone with a cheap USB chip, $12 for a Cortex-M0+ board, or about the same for the MT7688 which throws in WiFi as a "bonus". (Size counts, as this literally ends up going in an egg.)

Look here https://github.com/openwrt/openwrt/blob/master/target/linux/ramips/mt76x8/config-4.14#L150
I think that soc wdt is supported by OpenWrt.
Procd controls the watchdog timer. You can view the current settings with the command:

:/# ubus call system watchdog
{
        "status": "running",
        "timeout": 30,
        "frequency": 5
}

With magicclose-procd patch you can unbind the wdt from procd and control it with over program.