Onhub TP-LINK TGR1900 future support?

I was using a recovery USB based from the "Firmware OEM Recovery" listed at https://openwrt.org/inbox/toh/google/onhub_tp-link_tgr1900

When I use that image for recovery I don't get the cyan ring on completion, rather I am getting a pink ring (distinctly not the same as red seen after reset post-orange ring). After unplugging and plugging it back in it stays solid cyan.

I will try reflashing that image and also look online for a different image source to see if I can properly restore the device. Hopefully I can have success with the restore then after that I can retry the owrt install.

Just to make sure, you are "writing" the recovery image to the USB drive just like the factory.bin correct?
Either dd, balena etcher or the like?

1 Like

Properly writing the recovery image is something that definitely stumped me at the onset of this. My first attempt I couldn't figure out why I couldn't boot into the USB. But yes, i am using balena etcher and dd now.

Still no success with full recovery, even using the the chrome plugin to create the recovery image. I am still working on it an trying different things. Just been busy so haven't been able to dedicate much more time to it yet. I will update once I find a solution or have exhausted all options I can uncover.

1 Like

Hello all,
I need some help. I have followed the instructions at [OpenWrt Wiki] TP-LINK TGR1900 (Google OnHub).

Am stuck after Step 9.
Multi color LED never came up. Instead Purple Light is flashing.

I tried with 3 different USB devices but still the same.

I am trying on TpLink OnHub.

Did you "flash/write" the factory.bin file to the USB via dd, balena etcher or the like? You can't just copy and paste it.

Of course, I did use Balena Etcher to flash the bin file.

Good. This is how it usually goes for me.

Hold reset button down, power up then white -- orange -- red light, release reset button, then press dev button. Insert USB, the onhub reboots. Cyan -- purple blink -- two beeps -- press dev button again -- purple blink -- light goes out. You should get the rainbow ring next and have WRT running from USB.

Alternating red orange is no good. Either didn't like the USB or corrupt file.

1 Like

I tired exactly these steps:
Hold reset button down, power up then white -- orange -- red light, release reset button, then press dev button. Insert USB, the onhub reboots. Cyan -- purple blink -- two beeps -- press dev button again (I get a beep on dev button press) -- purple blink -- light goes out.
Until here it works as described.

After this step, I don't get multi color light but instead purple is flashing for ever.

If I remove the USB stick and connect to PC, I see there are 3 partitions created on the USB.

I am using the snapshot bin file. Any other bin file to try ?
I also looked at the Google drive with bin files shared by you. But got confused with CT / non-CT and again r22651 / r22638.

Can you please guide me which other bin file I can try for tplink on Hub ?
Thanks.

That makes me think that it doesn't like the USB drive. The snapshot file is fine and should work. Maybe try downloading it again. Format the USB and flash it to the drive again. You can use any of the factory.bin files to make the USB. The snapshot one will not have the luci web interface included. As for my builds, they will have luci installed. The ct vs non-ct refers to the wirless driver installed in the build. Either work, some have a preference of one or the other. The r22651 or r22638 is just the version of the build. Higher the number the newer it is. Shouldn't matter for this step. You just want to get it on the OnHub, it can be changed later via sysupgrade.

1 Like

If you continue to have issues, you may want to follow the restore factory software section first. After that, try to get the USB drive to load.

I am also considering to Factory reset. But unfortunately the link to Google OnHub Recovery Mode is broken and no longer available.
I have downloaded the Factory Reset bin file and flashed with Balena Etcher.
Am not sure if this is the correct procedure.
In any case it didn't work. I suspect issue to be with USB drive, greater than 4GB I have only USB 3.0.

I will try to fetch some other USB drive (2.0) and try again.

On windows after flashing with Balena, windows shows a popup window that flash drive needs to be formatted to use. I hope it is normal and windows is not doing something strange after flashing.

Yes use the recovery bin file from the link, unzip and flash with Balena Etcher. The pop up windows on Windows is normal. Just follow the procedure:

1. Hold the Reset button (Near the power jack)
  2. Connect power to the device
  3. The LED will be white and after a few seconds should blink orange; After a few more seconds, the LED should blink red; you may now release the Reset button.
  4. Plug in USB stick containing Recovery image
  5. LED should turn off, and recovery begins
  6. After about 5-6 minutes, the device should automatically reboot; LED will pulse blue
  7. Recovery is complete

I have good luck with an SD card adapter and a 4GB card for the recovery. I keep one card with the recovery file and another for the factory.bin file.

@dadogroove is it possible to make something similar with changes for onhub.

No, because the OnHub never had 22.03 support nor will it. You would have to wait for the next stable release of OWRT (23.xx) and then hope that someone creates that.

1 Like

Is there a new snapshot since chromium/openwrt-ipq806x-chromium-asus_onhub-squashfs-sysupgrade.bin? Probably because it's been 3 months since the build, there seems to be a problem with the availability of the snapshot packages (e.g. not being able to install luci).

https://downloads.openwrt.org/snapshots/targets/ipq806x/chromium/

Regular snapshot builds are done every few days. Latest is from this morning 6th of May. Some packages are dependent on the kernel / build version so if you get warnings / errors then you should update to the latest snapshot first.

You can use 'attended sysupgrade' to update to the latest snapshot which will include all the currently installed packages in your upgrade and makes things a lot easier.

The warnings / errors should disappear when the next stable OpenWrt release is done.

1 Like

Oh, I didn't know that. Thank you so much, @konus. And 'Attended Sysupgrade' is just awesome. For those who didn't know attended sysupgrade like me, the video below will definitely help:

Thanks to everyone who worked on this project. Thanks a lot :pray: :pray:

1 Like

Finally it worked for me without need for recovery.
Problem turnout to be with USB thumb drive I used, I tried with 3 different drives, none worked. Unfortunately all 3 were freebies at different workshops.
I tried with a SanDisk drive and it worked.

Thanks for the great work and support. Now I can reuse my OnHub.

1 Like

i am pinging the router :+1:

:skull:

1 Like

has anybody tried 6.1 kernel ?