Onboard Broadcom Gigabit NIC speed issue

Hello, I'm new to the forum and need some assistance.
I have a HP T610 Plus PC (onborad NIC is a gigabit Broadcom BCM57781) and I've installed OpenWRT on it. First it didn't see my onboard NIC and I found and installed kmod-tg3 and now it's working. I've tested it with iperf3 and I can only get half of gigabit speed out of it:

[ ID] Interval Transfer Bandwidth
[ 5] 0.00-1.00 sec 53.9 MBytes 452 Mbits/sec
[ 5] 1.00-2.00 sec 54.2 MBytes 455 Mbits/sec
[ 5] 2.00-3.00 sec 54.2 MBytes 455 Mbits/sec
[ 5] 3.00-4.00 sec 54.3 MBytes 456 Mbits/sec
[ 5] 4.00-5.00 sec 54.3 MBytes 456 Mbits/sec
[ 5] 5.00-6.00 sec 54.3 MBytes 455 Mbits/sec
[ 5] 6.00-7.00 sec 54.3 MBytes 456 Mbits/sec
[ 5] 7.00-8.00 sec 54.3 MBytes 456 Mbits/sec
[ 5] 8.00-9.00 sec 54.3 MBytes 456 Mbits/sec
[ 5] 9.00-10.00 sec 54.3 MBytes 456 Mbits/sec
[ 5] 10.00-10.00 sec 265 KBytes 447 Mbits/sec

I've then tried with OPNsense installed on it, and I get full gigabit:
[ ID] Interval Transfer Bandwidth
[ 5] 0.00-1.00 sec 79.8 KBytes 654 Kbits/sec
[ 5] 1.00-2.00 sec 59.4 MBytes 499 Mbits/sec
[ 5] 2.00-3.00 sec 113 MBytes 946 Mbits/sec
[ 5] 3.00-4.00 sec 113 MBytes 946 Mbits/sec
[ 5] 4.00-5.00 sec 113 MBytes 948 Mbits/sec
[ 5] 5.00-6.00 sec 112 MBytes 944 Mbits/sec
[ 5] 6.00-7.00 sec 113 MBytes 946 Mbits/sec
[ 5] 7.00-8.00 sec 113 MBytes 946 Mbits/sec
[ 5] 8.00-9.00 sec 113 MBytes 946 Mbits/sec
[ 5] 9.00-10.00 sec 113 MBytes 946 Mbits/sec
[ 5] 10.00-10.57 sec 64.5 MBytes 948 Mbits/sec

I've tried more then one build for x86/64 - from latest stable release, and current snapshots - always same issue with NIC speed. Now I don't get what is wrong and what is limiting me in OpenWRT on the T610, any help would be appreciated.
Thanks and kind regards.

Follow up on this "issue"; I was wrong about speed difference between OpenWRT and OPNsense. It seems it's adapter/system related, let me elaborate:
When running iperf3 on T610 in server mode - the speed is 1Gbit
When running iperf3 on T610 in client mode - the speed is 0,5Gbit

SMB file copy confirms that, 112MB/s copying TO T610 and 50MB/s copying FROM T160.
Tested on two same systems - so I think the "issue" is somewhere on the onboard LAN adapter or the system itself.

Will update when my PCIe Intel NIC arrives and I do some tests.

Once you have two or more NICs, configure them on different networks, attach two other hosts to them and then run iperf[3] on those hosts with the OpenWRT device routing between them. Anything else introduces other variables and doesn't meaningfully represent your router performance. And don't even mention internet speed tests.

I'm no expert on networks by any means, and was not measuring router performance, just wanted to measure pure throughput of the onboard card and this is the first time I saw this issue. I have a full wired Gbit network in the house; 2 NAS servers, RasPi4 as a main router (OpenWRT), two PCs (windows and linux). All those devices do not have this problem, and iperf3 test are at full ul/dl Gbit speed. Same when copying from and to NAS servers, always 112-113MB/s.
My friend got two of these two mini PCs, one to be a router and one to be a NAS. For a router, it's gonna be good since connection is 150/15 Mbit and he is not going to be limited by this. But for NAS it's not good for a lot of heavy data traffic. I hope the PCIe NIC will solve the issue.
I'm also going to do the test you suggested to see what the results will be.
Cheers.

Update:
The PCIe Intel quad NIC arrived and installed; tested and gets gigabit up/down on all ports. So the onboard Broadcom NIC is limited to 0,5Gbit upload.
Disabled the onboard NIC and using only the intel quad one, working like a charm.

This topic was automatically closed 10 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.