OEM and CM who support white-labeling openwrt routers

Hi everyone,

last year 2022, we looked on Openwrt website and we found GL-iNet could offer white-labeling. So, we tried with GL-iNet, and what they advertise on their website that they can support white-labeling is not true, they put a lot of obstacles for option of white-labeling service. They are not as flexible as we thought, they push too much to have resellers or distributors only. we end up with a conclusion that they have only white-labeling on their website as matter of Marketing but not really offering it to others.

I would like to inquire about other companies, including OEMs and contract manufacturers (CMs), that offer White-Labeling services for OpenWRT WiFi routers. Specifically, we're interested in finding companies that can manufacture routers that carry our brand and follow our Model-naming conventions at a reasonable cost.

Any advise will be appreciated.

Regards

If you're not distributing or reselling, then what will you be doing?

Technically, OpenWrt doesn't make routers - any manufacturer should be able to make a device with their own customized firmware (e.g. based on OpenWrt) - since you're asking for them to make devices and label them as you desire.

How many units...10,000...100,000...1,000,000?

we are looking for OEM or CM and we want to put our brand on the device.

I know and I understand, I put this topic on forum so others can suggest OEM or CM who manufacture who offer white-labeling service for routers/switches. if you can answer my questions then it would be appreciated. if you do not know then better you leave it to others who know and can support me.

I asked:

It's no need to make a suggestion if you don't want the minimum amount for the company I provide to you - that they'll be willing to make. I already know GL-iNet has such a minimum, so I didn't wanna suggest another company with the same requirements.

It may also help to describe any technical specs you're seeking.

Buddy, leave it to others who can support me with positive and constructive answers.
I simply ask people on this forum for list of OEM / CM who can offer white-labeling. I am not here to argue. hope you understand my position.Thanks!

Hit "Contact Supplier" and ask them.

You can see the minimum orders listed there. Apologies if me asking how many units is so difficult. I personally use Shenzhen Zhibotong but they have a minimum requirement.

Neither was I, I guess you didn't see why I asked how many units. If you're willing to provide more information, I coulda helped you more.

Hope this helps.

Hi Lieachii,

Thank you for your last message, very appreciated.

I think better I make it as Private messages (PM) to you. is it Okay with you?

Here are the Specifications:

• CPU: IPQ6000 Quad-core, @1.2GHz or similar
  • Memory / Storage: 256MB or 512MB / NAND Flash 256MB or 128MB
  • Protocol: IEEE 802.11a/b/g/n/ac/ax
  • Wi-Fi Speed: 600Mbps (2.4GHz), 1200Mbps (5GHz)
  • Antennas: 2 x OR 4 x External Antennas
  • Cellular: Optional
  • Battery: OPtional
  • USB Port: 2 x USB 3.0
  • Ethernet Port: 1 x WAN port, 2 x or 3 x LAN ports
  • Ethernet Speed: 10/100/1000Mbps
  • Power Input: DC5521, 12V/1.5A
  • Power Consumption: <18W

Hope this clarifies what I am looking for.

We are looking for OEM / CM where we can start with small sample amount of routers (let's say 250 router or 300), if it goes well then we are willing to buy large bulk amounts (1,000 .... 10,000 or even more depends on the demand of course).

what is important to us is we go with our brand and Model-naming convention since early beginning.

Check zbtlink.com for suitable device. They do OEM, custom branding.

So is GL-iNet part of GL Tech Co Ltd(?):

I have no idea!. what I can say that our experience with them last year was not nice.

I cannot find a page for downloading Zhibotong openwrt firmware images of their routers

As long as you use Zhibotong routers, do you know where from I can download their firmware images?

Yes it sounds like you don't understand what white-labeling actually is. A white-label manufacturer does not support end users directly with things like a firmware download site. White-label firmware is distributed by each seller, creating the appearance that they are also the manufacturer.

1 Like

Use the "official" openwrt images for devices from zbt. I always build myself, from source.

1 Like

You have to look for the specific device here:

Quite a few ZBTs, based on MT7620, to be found here, like my "workhorse" WE826:
https://downloads.openwrt.org/releases/22.03.4/targets/ramips/mt7620/

That is the point, not all of their devices are supported, especially the new models, despite that fact that those new devices have actually openwrt installed.

so it seems you have to Add new device or Add new platform; eventually!

Yes. However, there is a chance to get their openwrt-based SDK for the specific device, after getting in touch with them directly. Will be old openwrt, but usable, may be, depending upon your usage case.
Another solution, I did for openmesh-devices, for example, is to add/modify their installed openwrt using some smart scripting. Reasonable for mediocre amount of mods, of course.

1 Like

Well, if I want to get good openwrt support then I have work on adding new device and/or platform.

Be careful here. For commercial usage, it might be better to use an old, but very well supported device type, first, i.e. WE826. Quite a few issues regarding certain SoC floating around, i.e. MT76x8 or MT7621. Visit https://github.com/openwrt/openwrt/issues

Thanks for this note, that is true if an old image is available, the thing is that many new models from ZBT are not supported or listed in the TOH.