Nr7101 cannot do sysupgrade? i am stucked in System running in recovery (initramfs) mode

hello,
i tried via gui and then vie ssh sysupgrade -v ....
no logs no errors,
attached screens - need help :wink:

i think i found it, seems like package uboot-envtools was missing...
so manuall ipg installation (upload in gui)
then "fw_setenv" is avaliable in ssh:

root@OpenWrt:/tmp# fw_setenv DebugFlag 0x1
root@OpenWrt:/tmp# fw_setenv CheckBypass 0
root@OpenWrt:/tmp# sysupgrade -u -n openwrt-22.03.2-ramips-mt7621-zyxel_nr7101-squashfs-sysupgrade.bin

maybe a bug in "openwrt-22.03.2-ramips-mt7621-zyxel_nr7101-initramfs-recovery.bin" ?

1 Like

Yes, that's the problem. I just don't understand why. This was there in the commit adding this device:

DEVICE_PACKAGES := kmod-mt7603 kmod-usb3 uboot-envtools kmod-usb-net-qmi-wwan kmod-usb-serial-option uqmi

I thought it would be enough.

also QMI is missing - u cant activate the internet, without using LTE/5G

Doh! This is probably my lack of understanding how the buildbots operate. DEVICE_PACKAGES is not relevant for the initramfs when TARGET_PER_DEVICE_ROOTFS is set. I guess we need to add uboot-envtools to the shared MT7621 DEFAULT_PACKAGES instead, like it is done for several other targets.

This is just to report that the initramfs-recovery file linked on the ToH detail page for the NR7101 is still having this issue.

I had to download and manually install uboot-envtools, then create a file /etc/fw_env.config with this content (which I discovered from checking this commit:

/dev/mtd1 0x0 0x1000 0x80000

Whoever wants to experiment with OpenWRT on this board, I believe it is easier to flash the Rooter firmware first and then sysupgrade to pure OpenWRT

Yes, this was an attempt at fixing the issue for NR7101 and other MT7621 devices depending on uboot-envtools: https://patchwork.ozlabs.org/project/openwrt/patch/20221117172129.1158061-1-bjorn@mork.no/

But as you can see, it's been stuck there for a few months without any action or comments. Not much I can do about that.

Is there any way we can "upvote" the patch? Or maybe show a warning on the ToH details page for NR7101.