Norton Core support

just looking around ebay and now there are a few of the Norton core's going cheep
as they have been discontinued & then needed subscription that is stopped or getting stopped
the hardware is going cheep & it's loos like a good cheap project

Qualcomm IPQ8065 1.7 GHz
Flash 4 GiB Samsung KLM4G1FEPD
RAM 1 GiB Samsung K4B4G1646E-BYK0 x2
USB 3.0
Wifi Qualcomm Atheros QCA9984 x2 2.4G & 5G

While the hardware should be supportable, no one knows for sure until it ends up on the desk of a developer or advanced user (unless you'll take it on yourself), to attempt porting OpenWrt to it. While the prices are indeed nice, it seems to be a(n almost) North America exclusive device (and shipping cost/ taxes are just prohibitive for things like that), which doesn't help.

That said, on the American market I would prefer the Askey RT4230W for just about the same price, as it's closer to being supported.

I have had one dropped on me on ebay (no one else bid) for $18 AU delivered
but lets see if i get it then they sometimes find excuses not to ship
so they were sold in Australia
as there seems no firmware files & I'm guessing there will be no web way of updating firmware
so not sure how easy it will be
I will have a play and see if can find a way of getting openwrt on it but I'm not a developer
so it may go nowhere

For the porting you'll need to open it up and attach a serial console anyways.

Sadly there are no offers on the European market.

look's like it's easy to get to & has pins loaded all ready :slight_smile:

AFAIK, Norton Core has Secure Boot enabled in the SoC, so you cannot boot third-party operating system unless you manage to change the SoC..

1 Like

I got it took a bit to get it apart with making a mess of it
found the serial comm's header & go it to show up
but sending anything to it has no effect tho it is echoing back
it has got "Secure boot is enabled." showing up
also "U-Boot 2012.07 [Chaos Calmer 15.05.1,unknown] (Sep 25 2019 - 13:35:31)"
it's trying to boot off USB so I'm guessing a recover USB of some sort
I'll have to find some data on these cpu's now
not sure what the effect of Secure boot is that just USB & MMC where is uboot kept then
I will play around

seems to be a copy of source code here https://github.com/larrikinist/Norton-Core
I think it's been through a windows file system
It's missing some files due to same name different case etc
it has dts file that seem to match the log
I'm trying to get it to compile but I'm not that good at getting old stuff to work

Did anyone ever get this working?

I didn't get far as there seemed very little interest

I am very new to all of this, but I would be very interested in helping work on this with someone if they are still interested.

This PR in the unofficial chinese repo claims support for the Norton core 518.

But the google translation is bad at the most important point regarding secure boot:

This router needs to be replaced with U before it can be flashed (because U turns on secure boot)

So I'm not sure if it's enough to flash kernel and rootfs in u-boot to avoid secure boot....

Maybe you just try to boot an initramfs image first.....

2 Likes

The product is getting killed by Norton by Jan 31st 2022, rendering the devices unusable.

Might be why people are selling them for $20 on ebay.

He means you need to replace the SoC, which I mentioned before.

Hi - I'm also interested to see if anyone get this working. I wish I can flash my Norton Core with openwrt.

TIA!