Noob help bt business 5 OpenVPN configuration

Hi,I have an operations error message saying there is an unrecognized option or missing parameter in my vpn provider.i am a total noob and could really use some help.ive followed the instructions posted( by bill? ) and the vpn provider and have obviously made an error however after much looking I cant see what it is.any help would be very much appreciated

Who is the VPN provider?

Please post the portions of the system log where you can see the openvpn client initiating, and the error message(s).

Post contents of your .ovpn file after removing username, password and keys/certificates, will be helpful too.

1 Like

Thank you for responding, since this post I've made serious inroads and have a completely different problem.i will gather some info and post shorty.kind regards.

Hey,Could i send them to your email please?.im having difficulty with so much txt.

We don't require the entire contents of the openwrt System log from your HH5a. Any openvpn error is probably repeated multiple times in the log. Scroll to the end of the log in LUCI and just copy and paste text from up to 20 lines beginning:

daemon.notice.openvpn\?????[??????] .............

It should contain the error message(s).

Format the text by using the </> button.

Thu Jul 16 15:43:54 2020 daemon.notice openvpn(hotspot)[1451]: PUSH: Received control message: 'PUSH_REPLY,dhcp-option DNS 8.8.8.8,dhcp-option DNS 8.8.4.4,explicit-exit-notify,sndbuf 16384,rcvbuf 262144,dhcp-option DISABLE-NBT,redirect-gateway def1 bypass-dhcp,route-delay 5,inactive 172800 2048,route-gateway 10.254.128.1,topology subnet,ping 10,ping-restart 120,compress lz4-v2,ifconfig 10.254.128.3 255.255.128.0,peer-id 1,cipher AES-256-GCM'

Thu Jul 16 18:24:06 2020 daemon.notice openvpn(hotspot)[1451]: Initialization Sequence Completed

Thu Jul 16 18:24:06 2020 daemon.notice openvpn(hotspot)[1451]: [universitycalendar.us] Inactivity timeout (--ping-restart), restarting

Please post contents of .ovpn file WITHOUT the username, password and certificates.

I see the client connecting normally but then immediately acting like the connection is lost (ping to server failed). That is odd, since ping-restart 0 is supposed to disable ping-restarting. Try 120 or similar time instead that should at least delay the apparently false restart.

Make sure there are no files named *.conf in /etc/openvpn.

1 Like

i can see two ways of resetting this router which do you recommend ?

You can use the Reset button on back of HH5A if you are following the steps in my openvpn client setup PDF, section 2.1.

Alternatively, you can use LuCI via the System -> Backup/Flash Firmware -> Perform Reset

1 Like

Thank you for all of your time.its working fine.very good instructions, poor experience & a touch of dodgy eye sight = ...thank you.

Please mark as 'Solved'.

This topic was automatically closed 10 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.