No wifi in 18.06 with hg556a

All MTD wiping device lights not hg556a-A

You need a "TTL" (3.3 volt) serial adapter to work with routers not a RS-232 one like your picture shows. The TTL has wires with pin connectors instead of a DB-9 plug.

If all the lights on the router come on then go out when you plug in the power the bootloader is probably OK and you just need to hook up serial and do a TFTP load and flash to de-brick.

That's a parallel flash, you can't readily use a chip programmer directly on it. If you have erased the bootloader you would have to use JTAG, which is not the same thing as serial.

1 Like

mtd -r erase mtd fullll erase botloder dead

help zjtag

In the first picture I see two things:
Atheros AR9223 and MX29LV128DB so you have a HG556 Model A (HG55VDFA VER.C in sticker)
If your bootloader is OK try this first:

OEM easy installation

This section deals with how you install OpenWrt from the device freshly opened.

With this procedure you will flash the firmware using the bootloader web interface (foolproof)

• Set a static IP on your computer, use 192.168.1.35 (or any compatible), and connect the ethernet cable to the router.

• Unplug the router's power cord

• Press the button labeled as RESTART , don't release it yet!

• Plug the power cord

• Wait 12 seconds or more

• Release the RESTART button

• Browse to http://192.168.1.1 and you should see this screen:

• Select .bin firmware

• Press Update Software to start the firmware update process

• Wait for it to reboot

• Telnet / ssh to 192.168.1.1 and set a root password, or browse to http://192.168.1.1 if LuCI is installed.

1 Like

For TFTP you need something like this:

1 Like

Yes I forgot it's a Broadcom, they have CFE recovery which is quite foolproof.

Willy I know but the bootloader is not lights no longer the only hire JTAG help me about JTAG

Sorry, I never used JTAG, only serial with TTL adapter.

Help jtag restore bootloader

In conclusion... Is there any way of getting wifi in a HG556a working in OpenWRT 18?

I have a cal_data backup done (from OpenWRT 17), but I don't know how to restore in OpenWRT 18, hence cat /proc/mtd gives no cal_data partition

Short answer, don't do it.
Long answer, yes.
Stable release versions of 18 doesn't generate the cal_data partition, only works if you use snapshot version, I did it with all versions, A,B,C, and works, but... it is not stable in any of those versions. by now, better back to 17.01.4
Developers has work to do...

Ek%20A%C3%A7%C4%B1klama%202019-07-02%20222658
hg556a full calldata thenkyou 18.06.4 fulllll

Congratulations.
Anyway... How did you do it without JTAG? explaining the solution is as important as asking the question.

TIA

Hg556a no wifi already fix in this commit

https://git.openwrt.org/?p=openwrt/openwrt.git;a=commit;h=4b633affff972bf19906f748fe56016f844d0022

:grin:

1 Like

dear willy I have 30 pieces aside one of the bricks I left aside still did not jtag you describe me the same device would be copied

This topic was automatically closed 10 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.