"No Internet" warning on WLAN with Windows 10 clients

Hi.

I am using snapshot SNAPSHOT r16174-9530b9bb78 with a Netgear Nighthawk X4S R7800 and have issues with Windows 10 Laptops. If I the laptops are coming back from sleep many times the Wifi connection is available but shows "No Internet connection". I can repair this sometimes bei disconnecting and reconnecting sometimes but also I have to reboot the laptop.

Does anybody know such issues? I also have apple devices in the network without any problems and LAN is fine everytime. Also there is nothing visible in the system log.

In Wifi config I use 80Mhz with 5Ghz and 802.11k/v/r

option ieee80211r '1'
	option ft_psk_generate_local '1'
	option ft_over_ds '1'
	option ieee80211k '1'
	option bss_transition '1'

Nothing special...

Cheers,
Nils

Hi Nils,

I have identical issues on all kinds of clients, and in my case they are there by intension. I have closed a lot of ports for outgoing traffic, before my children started playing all kinds of online games and before the corona lockdown I only had opened very view standard ports, and for some devices (e.g. Samsung TV) I still only allow communication very selectively.

My experience is, that the "no internet" warning in most cases just means, that some stupid extra special communication is not possible, but the normal use (surf, mail, ip telephone, video on demand) is not affected at all.

Having said that, of course if you did not close ports intentionally and you do not have a pihole running, it is strange if you do have that kind of connection problems. You could try to find out which ports/server connections do not work. Normally all services describe somewhere which ports they use.

It's probably trying to access a ms domain on internet

https://kb.pulsesecure.net/pkb_mobile#article/l:en_US/KB43805/s

1 Like

There is no filtering active and also access via Wifi seems down. Sometimes it fixes itself after some minutes.

In the logs I can see nothing special but found this entry at the time a new client like to connect (but not everytime).
kern.warn kernel: [ 481.979137] ath10k_pci 0000:01:00.0: Invalid VHT mcs 15 peer stats

Wait - you use 802.11r with windows 10. What type of authentication do you use ? I had problems with windows 10 with protected management frames 802.11w in combination with 802.11r and wpa2/enterprise. I had to switch 802.11w off.

802.11w is off. I updated to newest snapshot and if it does not change will try ath10k (not CT) drivers. Perhaps that helps.

Seems to be better but see still the following error sometime: daemon.err hostapd: nl80211: kernel reports: key addition failed