No internet after setting static WAN ip address from ISP

After configuring a static ipv4 address in WAN - Protocol - Static Address (Gateway, DNS, etc have been properly filled), it shows as connected in the network status but I don't have internet connection. When using DHCP Client it's fine I get an internet connection, although the lease is only 30m.

My LAN IP is 10.0.0.1/24 so it doesn't have a conflict with the public static ipv4 address. I have Adguard Home which serves as an upstream DNS server to DNSMasq.

Are there additional configurations I need to do?

Does your ISP give you specific instructions/allowances to use a static IP address? Unless your service includes a static IP (which sometimes involves extra cost), most ISPs will only work with DHCP (or PPPoE). You should never use a static IP on your WAN unless specifically advised/allowed to do so from your ISP.

3 Likes

Yes I paid extra for the static ip. There's no specific instructions that was given to me.

I think you need to change the Protocol in the WAN settings to Static address.

1 Like

Contact your isp for guidance. Sometimes, even with a static ip, the isp still wants you on dhcp (they can do a backend configuration of the dhcp servers to set an IP reservation, giving you a static address for all practical purposes, but with the ease of dhcp for the actual configuration).

6 Likes

(post deleted by author)

(post deleted by author)

It looks like psherman is correct. Another subscriber from my ISP said, just leave as DHCP because my ISP handles the leases.

1 Like

I'm not sure why a static IP needs a lease.

It is the same as the internal LAN have static address controlled by a DHCP server in a OpenWRT router. That DHCP server has a address pool that the big mass of clients has to beg and borrow from. And then there is the static leases outside the pool that specific clients gets “for ever”.

The ISP simply makes a static lease to your connection point and you as a client use DHCP client mode and the router gets it’s static address from the ISP DHCP server.

1 Like

Can you both stop this bullshit argument you are doing?

Which don't need a renewable lease...I have several devices with static IP's outside of the pool on the LAN.

Seems the same principle would follow for a static WAN IP.

They also get a lease from the DHCP server as everyone else. But they will get the same address lease for ever.

But the lease time is the same for everyone unless you have set it to indefinite manually for a specific static lease.

I have them set to "infinite".

Of course you can do that. But as standard that is not recommended.

Usually you let the DHCP server sweep the leases at reoccurring times to flush the shit out if the drain.
This lease process will no one see or feel anyway unless you have some serious setup problem somewhere.

Haven't had any issues.

21.02.1 now has a "Set Static" button that seems to do the same thing.

Yea, but what lease time do you get when you look in the DHCP server menu or dhcp config?

If nothing else gets specified dnsmasq puts standard lease time on static leases.

@jebuenga,

My apologies for getting your thread off track.

Back to the topic.

1 Like

no worries.

As has been generally established this thread -- but just bring it all together -- DHCP servers can be setup with DHCP reservations such that a specific client/host always gets the same IP address. This provides a static IP address for all practical purposes, but has a few advantages in the context of end-user static IPs from their ISPs:

• It 'just works'
  • Most end-users who have static IPs don't actually need to use the manual entry aspect of static IP addresses (and some may not even know how to do this)... they just want a static (i.e. unchanging) address.
  • Easier for the end user (no messing with manual entry of IP, subnet mask, router/gateway, and DNS)
  • Eliminates opportunity for typos in the IP information
    -- This can also prevent accidental use of other users' IP addresses which could potentially knock them offline.
  • Better customer experience for most users as a function of the above.
  • Lower support costs for the ISP due to all of the above reasons.
4 Likes