No GUI for TL-WR841n v14 OpenWrt

Hi all , although this is my first install for openwrt , but i am using gargoyle (which is based on openwrt) for many of my routers for years now .
I searched for openwrt for TP-Link TL-WR841n v14 and found this :

ramips: add support for TP-Link TL-WR841n v14

First I tried to flash the (tl-wr841n-v14-squashfs-tftp-recovery.bin) using the OEM GUI firmware upgrade window and of course it failed .

So flashed the (tl-wr841n-v14-squashfs-tftp-recovery.bin) using a tftp server , the file downloaded , the router restarted , the PC got an ip address 192.168.1.X , but when tried to log in to 192.168.1.1 it does work .

So I opened Putty and WinSCP they both Worked , I could log in to router , I copied the (tl-wr841n-v14-squashfs-tftp-recovery.bin) to tmp (Ram) folder using WinSCP then Flashed it using Putty , the router rebooted but again no GUI although openwrt is installed .

Now i am afraid that dueto the small flash size (4 mb) the GUI is removed ?? if so is there any way I could flash it ? or may be another version with GUI will be available ? , I have about 100K free when I used df command

if not , can I flash the OEM firmware downloaded from tp-link site again ? if yes then can I use putty to flash or just the TFTP server method ?

Important edit and Warning :
I want to confirm that flashing the OEM firmware via TFTP will not work , but will not break the TFTP recovery , the 3 leds will just flashing every 1 second with internet led (middle led) changing color , so for now if you flashed OpenWrt there is no back (may be I am wrong?!) .

You installed a master snapshot (which isn't surprising, as the hardware is too new for the last stable release branch, 18.06.x, and wasn't supported there yet); snapshot builds never include the webinterface (luci). Under normal circumstances you could just install it at runtime, using opkg, but https://openwrt.org/supported_devices/432_warning foils that plan. So you'll probably have to use imagebuilder, which will still be challenging considering the space constraints.

2 Likes

@thelordabdo

How stable is it? Is wifi stable ? Is there a disconnection problem?
I guess this is supported using V13. also there's a rumor that chipset drivers are not stable.

Thanks.

This topic was automatically closed 24 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.