No ethernet connection ea8500

Hi,

I have the linksys ea8500 hardware with master snapshot, my build. It is working great. But since last sysupgrade, the wifi works great but I can't use ethernet wired, seems to be connected but I can't open LuCi or ssh. When I clear my browser with ctrl+shift + R, I see for a sec on the left screen '' LuCi-lua configuration'' as we see before the openwrt loggin page appears but nothing happens, only my browser with no connection, idea?

I tried many things, reseted my network setup on my pc, reset router, etc.
I tried my second router and this one is working with wired...

thanks

What version of OpenWrt were you using previously and what did you upgrade to? It seems likely that you had the "keep settings" option selected during the upgrade, correct?

If you were on OpenWrt 19.07.x and then upgraded to 21.02.x, you will need to reset your router to defaults and start fresh with the configuration. This is because of major changes to the way that the ethernet hardware is addressed (swconfig > DSA).

I had from master snapshot.
Nss
And I rebased from master.
And updated feeds and kernel to 5.10.103

21.02.2 is available for your router. Unless there is a specific reason to use master/snapshots, you will usually find that the stable releases are more reliable.

Try using failsafe mode to see if the ethernet ports work as expected. If they do, go ahead and reset to defaults and configure again.

1 Like

If you use @ACwifidude 's repo, please check:

It is my own build, i said snapshot but I make mine

Fair enough. It might be worth trying the standard stable build to see if the problem exists there. In the default config, if the standard stable build does exhibit the issue, there is a bug. If the problem is only present on your build, it could be one of three things: an issue with your specific build, a problem with the current snapshot, or a configuration error.

or... there could be a hardware issue (bad port, bad cable, etc.)

I'm not pointing blame at your build, just identifying quick ways to determine where the error may be so you can concentrate error's in the right place.

1 Like

Have you updated your .config for fw4? I recently lost all connectivity (wireless and wired) with my "own" build and make distclean plus redoing the .config from a minimal version i keep around got it back.

Of course, the fact that my toolchain was kernel 5.15, I was building kmods for 5.10.100 while using a 5.10.9x on the device and I've been doing builds with dsa and swconfig might have also had something to do with it :slight_smile: but check the packages in your .config regarding iptables/nftables if you have not done so recently.

(Also fw4/nftables does not use /etc/firewall.user)

2 Likes

My wifi works pretty good.
I will check. I have the latest kernel 5.10.103
I have the same .config since 6 months.
Maybe I would have to change it.

1 Like

I did what I saw on your link, set to 4, the gmac2.
refresh my .config too, sysupgraded from ssh and for the fisrt time ever, I lost completely my hardware... no more lights or boot. Look at the end, first time I see that kind of error

sysupgrade /tmp/openwrt-r18830+230-1cbb9d49d6-ipq806x-generic-linksys_ea8500-squashfs-sysupgrade. 
100%   17MB   7.7MB/s   00:02    
Enter passphrase for key '/home/perkel/.ssh/id_ed25519': 
etc/adblock/adblock.whitelist
etc/banip/banip.whitelist
etc/collectd.conf
etc/config/adblock
etc/config/aria2
etc/config/banip
etc/config/bcp38
etc/config/collectd
etc/config/ddns
etc/config/dhcp
etc/config/dropbear
etc/config/ecm
etc/config/etherwake
etc/config/firewall
etc/config/fstab
etc/config/https-dns-proxy
etc/config/igmpproxy
etc/config/irqbalance
etc/config/ksmbd
etc/config/luci
etc/config/luci.rej
etc/config/luci_statistics
etc/config/luci_statistics.rej
etc/config/network
etc/config/nlbwmon
etc/config/nss
etc/config/openssl
etc/config/openvpn
etc/config/openvpn_recipes
etc/config/pppoe
etc/config/privoxy
etc/config/qos
etc/config/rpcd
etc/config/sqm
etc/config/system
etc/config/ubootenv
etc/config/ucitrack
etc/config/uhttpd
etc/config/upnpd
etc/config/vpn-policy-routing
etc/config/vpnbypass
etc/config/wifi_schedule
etc/config/wireless
etc/dnscrypt-proxy2/dnscrypt-proxy.toml
etc/dropbear/authorized_keys
etc/dropbear/dropbear_ecdsa_host_key
etc/profile.d/50-openvpn-easy-rsa.sh
etc/rc.local
etc/services
etc/shadow
etc/shells
etc/shinit
etc/ssl/engines.cnf.d/devcrypto.cnf
etc/sysctl.conf
etc/uhttpd.crt
etc/uhttpd.key
etc/uhttpd.key
etc/uhttpd.crt
Thu Mar  3 18:17:07 EST 2022 upgrade: Commencing upgrade. Closing all shell sessions.
Command failed: ubus call system sysupgrade { "prefix": "\/tmp\/root", "path": "\/tmp\/openwrtr18830+230-1cbb9d49d6-ipq806x-generic-linksys_ea8500-squashfs-sysupgrade.bin", "backup": "\/tmp\/sysupgrade.tgz", "command": "\/lib\/upgrade\/do_stage2", "options": { "save_partitions": 1 } } (Connection failed)

Even Linksys OEM firmware does not work with Ethernet wired

But you can load a firmware (either the OEM or an openwrt "factory" image) and get your wifi back correct?

Regardless forget trying to build/load an NSS build and just focus on loading a stable build as @psherman suggested and trouble shoot from there.

Out of curiosity, did you click solution for my post by accident or did a fresh .confing work for you? No worries either but it will help those trying to help you understand what you have tried.

Last, try not to worry. I use an ipq8064 based system and they seem pretty robust to flashing errors - just be careful to follow the instructions for the ea8500.

by accident yes, sorry.

About loading factory image, I did not try cause if I dont keep my setting and can not use wired connection, It will be impossible to load some settings and wifi.

I could try 21.02

Also, it seems that everytime I load something on the second partition, it is not available.
I tried another openwrt image, OEM Linksys and openwrt factory, no.one loads

If your wired ethernet might not be working, be sure to have a serial connection ready for debug. Obviously if it is a full hardware failure, it may not matter much (since you'd probably be looking at buying a new device).

Remember -- the default OpenWrt config has wifi disabled (which you probably already know, but a useful reminder), so if you think there is a driver bug with ethernet or some other issue, you'll be unable to connect to the device except by serial.

At this point I think you will need to spend some time looking through the EA8500 forum threads to see if and how others have recovered from similar conditions. Presumably you have a partially functional (openwrt NSS or is it OEM?) image on one partition and the other partition isn't responding to flashing. Also I see that the EA8500 has two variants (US and Hong Kong) and that they may be different so be careful to identify what you have what other users posts are referring to device wise.

I don't have an EA8500 and this thread is marked solved, so try posting in an open active EA8500 thread for installation troubleshooting. Again, try not to worry, your more likely to make good decisions and recover the device if your calm.

I removed the solution, made by accident

1 Like

Two possibilities there:

• Hardware failure
  • The sticker MAC address stored in the factory partition is corrupt (e.g. FF:FF ...)

The second one might throw an error in the boot log.

is it possible to see that?

Do you see anything related to Ethernet in the boot log?

Also if the port appears in the kernel at all, use ip addr show or ip link show to see what MAC is assigned.