No access to network after changing IPv4 Address

I've got my OpenWrt-router connected via the WAN-port to a FritzBox, which is the router connected to the internet. I resetted my OpenWrt-router and just changed the following setting:

After that, I applied the setting and my PCs ip addr responds this: [because I am new, I can only upload one image] (It's the same as before changing the IP in the OpenWrt). Opening/pinging 192.168.1.1 (which worked before changing it) and 192.168.2.1 (which should work) leads to the same result. Internet-access is gone, as well.

What am I doing wrong?

(edit) not gateway. you need to widen the netmask to 255.255.0.0

An alternative would be to make your openwrt router 192.168.1.2 and keep it in the same range as your Fritzbox.

What is it you are trying to achieve?

Are you trying to use this device as a dumb AP or as a proper router? Does your fritzbox run in bridge mode (i.e. passing the ISP issued IP address to the next connected device -- your OpenWrt router), or does it operate as a router?

Did you force your computer to renew the DHCP lease? Once you change the subnet of the OpenWrt router, your computer will be on the wrong network until it gets a new DHCP lease.

I am trying to use it as a proper router. I've tried to get a new dhcp-lease by running dhclient -r and dhclient -r enps3s0. @psherman You've got sth wrong. The OpenWrt-router isn't connected to the internet directly. It is connected to a FritzBox (provided by the ISP), so it's in a normal network. I am not that familiar with network-stuff, so I am not 100% sure if I am using the correct terms. I just want to connect my OpenWrt-router to the Fritzbox and have a different IP-range for the devices connected to the OpenWrt-router. The FritzBox-IPs are 192.168.1.x and I want that every device connected to the OpenWrt-router gets an IP-address like 192.168.2.x. Btw: Thanks for the fast replies!

I'm not sure what you're talking about here... I was asking a few questions, not sure what I could have had wrong. I understand that the OpenWrt device is connected to a Fritzbox, but it wasn't clear in the OP what the Fritzbox's operating mode was (bridge or router) and what your desired mode of operation was for the OpenWrt box.

After you renewed your DHCP lease on your computer, what IP address did your computer get?

1. The Fritzbox is running in router-mode
  2. My PC didn't get a new IPv4-address after triggering dhclient. The inet-entry from ip addr disappeared, so no new IP-address.

How is your pc connected to the openwrt router? Is it wired or wireless?

1 Like

It's wired.

Try unplugging the wire power cycling your openwrt router, then plugging it in again. Also disconnect the openwrt router from your fritzbox.

I've got it. I've re-plugged the routers power. After that, I unplugged the WAN-cable. Then changed the IPv4-Address to 192.168.2.1. Then, my PC got an IP like 192.168.2.x and then I plugged the WAN back in. Now, it's working.

This topic was automatically closed 10 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.