Nfs server problems on 18.06.4

First post so greetings!

Before I go into the details I should pose the most important question: Has anyone else managed to get a nfs server working on 18.06.4? If so then I've likely set something up wrong. Otherwise...

I have spent the last couple of days trying to get nfs server working with a standard usb mount and I just can't get it going.

From what I can tell it looks as though rpc.statd is not running when it should be. The other processes appear to be running ok (portmap, rpc.mountd). If I try mounting locally on the router I see:

mount.nfs: rpc.statd is not running but is required for remote locking.

If I try to manually start rpc.statd (just to see what it comes back with) I see

sm-notify: Already notifying clients; Exiting!

Looking at the forum I see lots of hints that this might be something that is currently broken but I haven't seen anything specific to this version so thought it was best to ask.

If there is a bug, has anyone found a workaround/fix? I'm happy to build stuff if necessary.

thanks

Apparently nfs server is broken in 18.06.4. See here. The comment by Tony-il-Capo shows the easiest fix.

The symptom is indeed that rpc.statd fails to run. Hopefully this will be fixed in the next release!

Thanks for confirming this Paul. i’ll try the suggested method. if things go well i’ll update with more detail...

EDIT: nope... this only semi-fixed it... started once only ... will update if developments...

Not too sure about 18.06.4 but similar error with master ...

Seems rpcbind > needs ipv6 ... verify with;

strace /usr/sbin/nfsstat

Fix

--- a/package/feeds/packages/rpcbind/Makefile
+++ b/package/feeds/packages/rpcbind/Makefile
@@ -58,6 +58,7 @@ CONFIGURE_ARGS += \
 	--with-rpcuser=rpc \
 	--without-systemdsystemunitdir \
 	--enable-warmstarts \
+	--enable-ipv6

ifeq ($(CONFIG_RPCBIND_LIBWRAP),y)
 	CONFIGURE_ARGS += --enable-libwrap

Then nfsd fails due to missing /var/lib/nfs/ ... resolve with;

mkdir -p /var/lib/nfs/

Update: Had to remove lock to get it to restart;

rm /var/lock/procd_nfsd.lock

EDIT2: Nope: it starts but kicks the bucket..... hmmm.... intermittently.... semi-stable

EDIT3: Possible need for init.d/nfsd or feed to enable /etc/init.d/rpcbind...

( tmpfix )

/etc/init.d/rpcbind enable && /etc/init.d/rpcbind start
/etc/init.d/nfsd restart

Thanks for looking into this. We are a little closer to a solution :slight_smile:

Quick followup. Not sure when this was fixed but as of 19.07.2, NFS server is now working :grinning: