Newbie needs help setting-up Pi 3 b+ as vpn router

Hi,
I m not an English native and have a very limited understanding of networking, specifically firewalling and forwarding, so plz try to simplify your answers and point to tutorials or others that could help me understand when you can't explain too much. I m very interested in learning about this.
My ultimate goal is security and privacy as i don't want to get jailed for a misclick in liking some posts or following some persons, or to be subject to ISP injections of watching malwares and etc... as many people reported.
No, i m not doing any illegal activities other than viewing some posts and videos topped sensitive according to some people.
To feel safe, i ve always used ExpressVnp in my personal Devices when other devices connect directly to ISP s router. The problem is that is limited to 5 connections.
So, as i read, i need to set-up a vpn router so i can use a single Vpn connection for all personal devices.
This way i plan to :

• keep the ISP router working as it is for now (router is HG8245H, full of issues and backdoors as i read earlier)
  • make a PI 3 b+ as a vpn router for expressvpn and setting it up to get full security and privacy. No matter to bandwidth or anything else than security and privacy. i installed in it openwrt without a problem.
    Plz feel free to suggest all you think is necessary for security and privacy, about The Vpn provider, the ISp Router, the Pi and else.
    I m sure i didn't give all the informations you will need to help me, so feel free to ask everything you need.
    THANKS in advance.

Hope you realize VPN does absolutely zero/nada for your internet privacy.

It moves your public IP address geographically, but that's pretty much it.

1 Like

No i didn't knew that. I believed it s encrypting all my ingoing and outgoing connections so ISP or others can't see what i m doing. Plz can you point to some sites or tutorials etc ... that can help me understand this and eventually make it working for me. Thanks

the padlock in your browser, next to the URL, means your traffic's already encrypted using HTTPS.
All sites use it, and most browser will warn you if you access a site not using HTTPS.

The ISP can't see your traffic.
They could, in theory, see what sites you access, since the site names have to be looked up,
but that's what DoT and DoH is for.
DoH is by default enabled in FF, and probably in Chrome too.

what work for you ? VPN will not solve your "problem".

When it comes to tutorials, for how to set it up, you were just given one, or two.

1 Like

Thank you for the link I m still reading it.
I meant links about privacy and how to strengthen it, like things you should know about privacy, what you should do and what you shouldn't... etc just like an regularly updated and trusted forum or blog or else. Thank you very much for your time

If you want to stay 'hidden'/untracked.

Don't use internet.

If not doable,
use an anonymizing browser.
don't logon to facebook, any google service (youtube, gmail, gmusic, etc) and other services while browsing.
clear your browser cookies, often.

1 Like

I can't live without internet. LOL
I use several devices in browsing. Some of them i will call them personal coz they include personal things as Sim card, real accounts,... etc, and some non personal devices.
So, in personal devices i don't use facebook at all since 2009. Google neither since 2018. I use firefox and i will keep in mind to clear the cookies often. I use also newpipe as a youtube alternative, and spotify for time to time. Thanks for your advice. But plz what did you mean by other services ?

Every service that could potentially display targeted ads to you.

Google and FB were the two I was able to come up with, spontaneously.

I'm sure there are others, but since I block all ads using pihole and ublock origin,
I don't see those them any more.
Doesn't mean I'm not being tracked, just that the ads aren't loading.

1 Like

Ok. So widely ads are used to track if i understand you correctly. I m only using them in android devices. I use adaway if you know it.
In general where did you get all this knowledge about privacy ? Is there any trusted site or forum that keeps you updated about that? Can you plz share your sources ?

Cookies are used to link you, as a person to a specific device.

So if you logon to service X on your computer and your phone, they'll know it's you
using both devices, and can (theoretically) display the same targeted ads on both.

and a message from the dark side:

I'm sure they are (I haven't looked), but i my case, it's just high age and experience (caused by the high age) :wink:

Problem with blogs is you don't know who's behind them.

1 Like

Thannnnñkkkkkkkssss​:innocent::innocent::innocent:

So sorry to bother you so much. But i want to know you viewpoint about thor
. Could it be a universal solution for privacy issues ? This will be the last question for today before i enter the learning mode of what you gave earlier. And thank you very much sir

AFAIK Tor is a geo/censorship bypassing and IP anonymizing service, like a VPN, not so much for internet privacy.

Tor browser might be however, but I haven't really been reading up on it.

1 Like

Thanks anyway. And have a nice day sir. I will now try to fix the Rpi.

A nice article.

Privacy and security are not absolute but relative.
However both are subjected to threat modelling.
And the ISP is the source of the threat according to the OP.

They can to a certain extent.
It's even easier for sites hosted in the same country.
The site owners can be forced to comply.
This is especially relevant for non-democratic countries.

The domain can be analyzed in most cases.

Tor can help you achieve a similar result to a VPN.
But it's mostly focused on anonymity and there are drawbacks:

• Relatively poor performance.
  • It sacrifices some security for sake of anonymity.
  • It's more difficult to configure properly to avoid leaks.
  • It lacks support for non-TCP protocols.

So, Tor is most likely an overkill for you.
A VPN on the router/clients should be the preferred approach.

This topic was automatically closed 10 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.