Newbie here. Could i get a guide on how to install OpenWrt with serial, step-by-step or a link to an existing one?

I'm new. Could i please get a step-by-step guide on how to flash this one?

I need to know how to connect and flash with cables and the right colors, and the right commands and everything... Or if it's a clip. Don't want to mess up this fine router. Can you help me out? Maybe link an existing guide..

See: https://openwrt.org/toh/zyxel/p-2601hn-fx#installation

(Same link you posted.)

Thanks i noticed that.
I am asking if there are any easier step-by-step guide for people that are not hackers or programmers out there.. How to attacht the serial cables and a from start to finish-kinda-guide? So the router don't get bricked or anything.

Maybe you could explain what part of the instructions you do not understand?

Opening a case to connect serial cables and change embedded software would likely be called "hacking".

Tx <> Rx
Rx <> TX
Ground/Earth <> Ground/Earth

Do NOT connect Vcc or Positive!

(i.e. like any other serial connection)

Simple.

That's on the links above, what issues are you having?

1 Like

Thanks.. could you explain this further? Lets use a ch341a..
How do i connect that one to the router? It's not simple if you don't know what you're doing.
I have gnd, rx0, tx0, vcc, gnd, scl, sda, vcc on one end...
on the other i got..
miso, mosi, sck, cs2, csi, cso, gnd, vcc...

Which is the ground/earth?

on the router i got 4 pins, but i have no idea which is which there. I get that i need to use rx0, tx0, and ground.. Just don't know which it is.. a picture and drawings on the pins would help, or some diagram.. Thanks for your answer.

I am learning how to do this before i start.. So right now on how to connect it correctly, later on is uncertain. But i could use help on how to set up this:
"Change LAN IP of the freshly booted OpenWrt on the serial console to provide Internet connectivity (ifconfig br-lan, default route, provide nameserver etc)"
Can i use some default values?

Do i flash the firmware firstly, then if i get that working i store it with u-boot on the router then basically? Interupting and so on do seem tricky.. A video guide could been great! But none exists i bet. And you are right this is tinkering of own hardware.. DIY, but with the help of other peoples guides.
Here is another similar router and i can see that rx is in the middle of the three pins, and ground the solitary one.. GND.
https://oldwiki.archive.openwrt.org/toh/zyxel/p2812hnu-f1

Where do i learn what this means?

Serial

On J3 GND-NC-RX-TX-NotUsed

root/zychaa8zx62

I've mever head of that cable.

...this

• You would set up the parameters that provide Internet connectivity - just as you quoted.
  • But I'm not sure why you wouldn't get connectivity on WAN (the instructions seem to assume someone capable of doing this would know that...hummm)
    • It seems to be making sure you fix your PC, or if you already have a router going, to connect thru LAN to complete installation

No, you'd follow the instructions and flash the sysupgrade software from OpenWrt's web GUI command line (this can also be done on the web GUI alternatively).

Also, be sure to use the current firmware. If you dont understand, just use version 18 to install and then upgrade after success.

Yeah..
I can't just use the https://openwrt.org/docs/guide-user/installation/sysupgrade.cli directly, but i need to use the:

Flashing firmware

• Download xway target “initramfs” image of zyxel_p-2601hn first link

• Have TFTP server ready

• Connect serial and interrupt boot by pressing “z”, followed by ZLGU to get U-boot cli prompt AMAZON_S #

setenv ipaddr 192.168.0.1 setenv serverip 192.168.0.33 tftp 0x80700000 openwrt-...-lantiq-xway-zyxel_p-2601hn-initramfs-kernel.bin bootm 0x80700000

• Change LAN IP of the freshly booted OpenWrt on the serial console to provide Internet connectivity (ifconfig br-lan, default route, provide nameserver etc) to download and verify directly the OpenWrt firmware (or get squashfs “sysupgrade” image for zyxel_p-2601hn link

• Let the sysupgrade tool to work out all the magic for you in one go:

opkg install libustream-openssl ca-bundle sysupgrade -n -i https://downloads.openwrt.org/releases/18.06.6/targets/lantiq/xway/openwrt-18.06.6-lantiq-xway-zyxel_p-2601hn-squashfs-sysupgrade.bin

• Firmware will be auto-magically flashed and router will reboot

• Interrupt the boot again (“zzz”) as the new firmware is not started by U-boot yet

• Try to boot manually first:

bootm 0xb0060000

Change and save basic OpenWrt settings now and restart once more to boot manually and confirm it looks ok. Do not proceed to flashing U-boot if stored firmware is no good or OpenWrt not accessible on serial console!

...part only right. Just asking. And yeah im tired and having a hard time understanding. But the web GUI had been nice though. I assumed that was working, but this will be interesting when i figure out how to connect the pins and set everything up another day. Never flashed a router before! I might succeed. Thanks for sharing your knowledge on the topic!

Of course not, cause it's not installed yet - you can't use something that doesn't exist. This is the part I think you're still grapsing. You're doing the flash process to get OpenWrt running/installed.

Just follow the instructions, it tells you when to do so.

Glad you're figuring it out!

(To be clear, this device isn't currently running OpenWrt, correct? Your question seems to skip installing OpenWrt completely...guessing that was n00b wishful thinking?)

What web GUI?

OpenWrt?

I understood you had not installed OpenWrt yet.

In some routers you can just use their GUI and upload a file and it's flashed.. That was what i meant. Can you link a diagram on how i connect it though? Or some links.. The cables for flashing.

I meant if i could use some one click command.. Like uploading a file to a gui. But that was wishful thinking.. Please link some guides or diagrams of the connections and so on. Or someone else on here. thanks

We already covered the wiring diagram:

Its location on the board is noted here: https://openwrt.org/toh/zyxel/p-2601hn-fx#serial

There's noting special - you just need to learn how to read the information printed on the device's circuit/motherboard. To be clear, you will have to open the device to find pin/jumper group J3. Pins are customarily listed in order. There's commonly a mark/arrow on the board, or if not, would list in-order from the J3 marking. Hence the order on the board is sequential and should be in the same order listed on the Wiki. NC means "not connected".

If you mean visual aids for your specific device, then yes - someone else will have to come along (that may take a LONG time). You have the device in your possession. Your ability to locate pin/jumper group J3 is better than relying on someone else. I'm afraid to say, but you'll have to take some responsibility when venturing into: opening embedded devices, working with the bootloader, flashing non-OEM firmware, etc. Consider taking pictures for adding to the Wiki.

Basically, you seem to have all the information to proceed in theory - so I hope the best!

:bulb: Oh...BTW...you may be able to find the pictures of the circuit board filed with the FCC or other radio regulator by searching its registration ID issued by a nation's radio regulator (e.g. the FCCID).

If flashing the ZyXel is too complicated for you and you want to flash via OEM GUI, you need to get a different device that allows just that. There are plenty of such devices available for small money. In case you want to go that route, please open a new topic in #hardware-questions-and-recommendations

1 Like

Wait...this gets interesting...I just realized...you already sent a link with the diagram...but asked???

From: https://oldwiki.archive.openwrt.org/_detail/media/zyxel/p2812/p-2812hnu-f1_nand.png

(In this case, simply follow the order, the NC would be the empty pin and your legend.)

Yeah it was a similar router.. So i linked it. Thanks for all of your answers! Interesting! Ok so if the empty one is NC, then ground/gnd is the empty pin on the side then.. As i thought earlier. Cool.
And good that i can read it with this then.
GND-NC-RX-TX-NotUsed
With the NC having no pin. I still don't get what you meant by J3 though.. Hmm..
Yeah i can try to connect it later on. Any good tools for flashing on debian? What can toiy recommend having installed? Thanks again!

Look at the board! :grinning:

screen80

OK, I thought the board said J8 - now I know why. Your pins should be labeled J3 as per the Wiki.

Yeah but this is fun also.. I could succeed with this also. :slight_smile: Sounds fun. Just wanted an ADSL one..
I can get another router later on. OpenWRT rocks!

1 Like

Does the ADSL router work in OpenWrt?

Yeah is it the triangle pointing? What does the triangle mean? Did the router build the pyramids? that last question was a joke. :slight_smile: Gonna see if i see anything.. Now i see J3 next to the triangle actually!

1 Like

OK my friend...we're gonna have to take that "responsibility step" soon:

:point_up:

(Since you have all the information needed - in theory.)

I think're you're worrying to much, if not...get started!

As tmomas noted, you may want a device that's easier to convert to OpenWrt if you don't get into a "comfortable phase" with serial flashing.

Very ancient workman...PAID ancient workmen of honor!