New Xiaomi router AC2100

Moving from padavan to openwrt can be done directly with mtd? Which are the partition names?
(no BREED please)

Thanks for Reply.
Can you explain me who i Can update my firmware to official ?

1 Like

The partition is Firmware_Stub, but it's for a single file firmware like padavan. I've splitted the padavan single file into kernel1 and rootfs0 by using

dd if=padavan.trx bs=4194304 count=1 of=kernel1.trx
dd if=padavan.trx bs=4194304 skip=1 of=rootfs0.trx

and flashed them from stock/openwrt successfully. So I believe by doing the reverse - combining them - you can flash kernel1 and rootfs0 to Firmware_Stub too

Hi, thanks, the R2100 one works fine, I have been able to get back to the stock bootloader now.

Can you point the best way to combine the files? Using the script like the one for breed?

you can try. I tried this one but it didn't work. The router couldn't boot.

Hmm It's maybe easier to make the stock detour and return to Openwrt.

yeah that's what I always do. I usually flash between OpenWrt versions, once I moved to padavan, I got to bring my laptop near the router to start over from stock. Since most firmwares have wifi enabled by default so I don't need to plug in most of the time. It's pretty cool to think about it, like tinkering with your router firmware without ever physically touching it :grin:

I didn't test it by myself yet but usually you can simply use the regular sysupgrade via CLI or WebUI. However, you should sysupgrade from a custom major version to a new stable major version without migrating your configuration (so please uncheck the "preserve configuration" checkbox during major upgrades). The reason for that is that the syntax and content of config files might change between major versions.

Another method is to use mtd write:
Upload kernel1.bin and rootfs0.bin via scp to /tmp
Connect via ssh, go to /tmp and use

mtd write kernel1.bin kernel
mtd write rootfs0.bin ubi
1 Like

Thanks for reply.
I try use WebUI to do sysupgrade but I have a warning. I didn't to it :

I try to use other method
On wiki :

• Flash the kernel
mtd write openwrt-21.02.0-rc4-ramips-mt7621-xiaomi_redmi-router-ac2100-squashfs-kernel1.bin kernel1
  • Flash the rootfs and (will) reboot
mtd -r write openwrt-21.02.0-rc4-ramips-mt7621-xiaomi_redmi-router-ac2100-squashfs-rootfs0.bin rootfs0

I try :

root@OpenWrt:/tmp# mtd write openwrt-21.02.0-rc4-ramips-mt7621-xiaomi_redmi-router-ac2100-squashfs-kernel1.bin kernel1
Could not open mtd device: kernel1
Can't open device for writing!
root@OpenWrt:/tmp#

But block kernel1 not found. (rootfs0 does not exist too)

In luci, I found blocks list :

With yours indications, Can I use this :

mtd write openwrt-21.02.0-rc4-ramips-mt7621-xiaomi_redmi-router-ac2100-squashfs-kernel1.bin kernel
mtd -r write openwrt-21.02.0-rc4-ramips-mt7621-xiaomi_redmi-router-ac2100-squashfs-rootfs0.bin ubi

(use "kernel" and "ubi")

(I will lose my configuration but it is not very important)
All is ok ?

When you write in an already Openwrt environment those are the new partition "names".

in openwrt kernel1 is kernel and rootfs0 is ubi. It's a bit different from stock

The same happened to me.. I didn't used any command just tried through web

Did you managed to upgrade?

I am not trying at the moment because I am waiting for the process to validate with the command line.

1 Like

you can upgrade by un-checking Keep settings and checking Force upgrade. That will work. Or by using mtd writes

mtd write kernel1.bin kernel
mtd write rootfs0.bin ubi
reboot

Note that you're writing kernel1 to kernel and rootfs0 to ubi. The partition names are different when you're on OpenWrt

1 Like

Is anyone else experiencing stability issues and poor performance on 2.4GHz?
I'm running stock 21.02

getting only 5Mb max, if the packages manage to get through

I am having lots of problems with 2.4Ghz with the release and snapshot versions in the last few weeks. I had a few months of fantastic stability before that. Just in case anyone else has had the issue.
Edit, I ws logging to my syslog server. I got these messages and then the 2.4GHz stopped working until I rebooted. I did try and restart then disable and re-enable the 2.4GHz interface but it did not help.
Now it is rebooted it is working perfectly.

Sep 14 16:37:41 xiaomi hostapd: wlan0: STA 60:01:94:cc:bd:52 WPA: group key handshake failed (RSN) after 4 tries
Sep 14 16:37:41 xiaomi hostapd: wlan0: AP-STA-DISCONNECTED 60:01:94:cc:bd:52
Sep 14 16:37:41 xiaomi hostapd: wlan0: STA 5c:cf:7f:00:15:4e WPA: group key handshake failed (RSN) after 4 tries
Sep 14 16:37:41 xiaomi hostapd: wlan0: AP-STA-DISCONNECTED 5c:cf:7f:00:15:4e
Sep 14 16:37:41 xiaomi hostapd: wlan0: STA 5c:cf:7f:0c:92:79 WPA: group key handshake failed (RSN) after 4 tries
Sep 14 16:37:41 xiaomi hostapd: wlan0: AP-STA-DISCONNECTED 5c:cf:7f:0c:92:79
Sep 14 16:37:41 xiaomi hostapd: wlan0: STA 1c:bf:ce:05:98:61 WPA: group key handshake failed (RSN) after 4 tries
Sep 14 16:37:41 xiaomi hostapd: wlan0: AP-STA-DISCONNECTED 1c:bf:ce:05:98:61
Sep 14 16:37:46 xiaomi hostapd: wlan0: STA 60:01:94:cc:bd:52 IEEE 802.11: deauthenticated due to local deauth request
Sep 14 16:37:46 xiaomi hostapd: wlan0: STA 5c:cf:7f:00:15:4e IEEE 802.11: deauthenticated due to local deauth request
Sep 14 16:37:46 xiaomi hostapd: wlan0: STA 5c:cf:7f:0c:92:79 IEEE 802.11: deauthenticated due to local deauth request
Sep 14 16:37:46 xiaomi hostapd: wlan0: STA 1c:bf:ce:05:98:61 IEEE 802.11: deauthenticated due to local deauth request

I just upgraded trough web/gui like @stonks said

you can upgrade by un-checking Keep settings and checking Force upgrade

worked and is working

the only problem I had was with some firewall rules I needed to rewrite when I attempted to paste them from the backups (I made a backup of the /etc/config dir)

ps: If you cant log in into luci after upgrade, just clear the cookies (open history and forget all about 192.168.1.1)

1 Like

The time coincides with this: https://github.com/openwrt/mt76/issues/576
I'll switch to legacy mode and see how I go.

I always open luci in incognito mode. Sometimes luci just bugged out due to cached resources, I just close the incognito window and reopen