I am still wondering a bit as the change log of 22.03.3 lists a few new router models that were added.
Thanks for offering to provide a new sysupgrade image. That might help people who buy this router at the moment as v1 is not on sale any longer. I was able to use the diff from 22.03.2 for 22.03.3 and compiled the image. Your changes still work like a charm.
For the record. I have rebuilt the image from source code and modified the v2 dts file so the SPI frequency is 10MHz, as per original Cudy dts v2/v3 file, not 80MHz as in the source code taken from v1:
Now, everything is fine and the snapshot is booting on v3 version without a problem.
Well it must be a v3 problem, I have a v2 at 80Mhz and have never had a single SPI problem. In fact I have a log file of the router with all the history of the router (since I put it to work the first time) and nothing.
Do you regularely check the kernel logs for file system errors, so that you can definitely rule out any SPI issues?
 Oops, sorry I had overlooked what you wrote about the log file, but that doesn't invalidate the rest of my post. [/edit]
I've seen cases of my v1 device showing such errors without any apparent malfunction of the device, so the SPI hickups might not always be visible although they are there.
Secondly I think the different versions of the WR1300 (especially v2 and v3) are so similar that it would be a surprise if only v1 and v3 devices are affected by these SPI problems, but not a single v2 device. I rather think that the 80 MHz are so close to the limit of the board design that it is a matter of individual devices whether it works or not, depending on deviation of the electronic parts and operating conditions.
But given that precompiled binaries from downloads.openwrt.org should absolutely work for each and every copy of the WR1300, I strongly propose to lower the default to 40 MHz. Otherwise you force inexperienced users to self-compile or give up on OpenWrt for the convenience of experienced users who want to drive their devices to the limit, but would self-compile their images anyway.
I even doubt that this has much influence at operation speed or boot time, because the boot loader loads the kernel and initrd at only 10 MHz anyway and during normal operation the working set of the flash content is cached in RAM.
Yes. I actually have the full device log (I rlog it to another machine so nothing is lost) and I have re-audited that log, no problems.
There are at least 3 cases of v2 (all that I know of) that do not fail at 80Mhz. Anyway, it is clear that if you want to get to a firware that works in v2 and v3 you would have to change the value from 80Mhz to 40Mhz.
I'm a little busy these days. I don't know if you can send a merge request with the change in the repository https://github.com/openwrt/openwrt (and the moment you do it I'll give it my vote) if not I'll try to do it in the next days.
Well, there seems to be some consensus in the community that manufacturers tend to set the SPI speed unnecessarily low, maybe for lazyness, while the hardware is often capable to do much better.
That's why it got cranked up to 80 MHz initially for the WR1300. I think given that this works for some devices, but not for others is a good indication that it is too much, but not way too much, so 40 MHz seems to be a good compromise. But as soon as we get just a single report of a device that can't even cope with 40 MHz, I'll be all for lowering it further.