New User, New Install, Can't Browse, Can SSH

Good day and I apologize if I missed something basic. I'm new to OpenWrt but have been around computers (Windows and Linux) for a long time. Not an expert but not a novice either.

I have a TP-Link CPE210 V2. I followed the instructions and installed the "factory" .bin file. I do wonder if I have the right file since I have two "factory" builds in my downloads and don't know where the second one came from. Not terribly important at this time.

After installation I changed my default IP to 192.168.1.100 (on my laptop-Windows 10) and tried the "Browse" into 192.168.1.1. No response. I opened PuTTY and can SSH into 192.168.1.1. Here is the response screen:

BusyBox v1.31.1 () built-in shell (ash)

_______                     ________        __
 |       |.-----.-----.-----.|  |  |  |.----.|  |_
 |   -   ||  _  |  -__|     ||  |  |  ||   _||   _|
 |_______||   __|_____|__|__||________||__|  |____|
          |__| W I R E L E S S   F R E E D O M
 -----------------------------------------------------
 OpenWrt SNAPSHOT, r14926-41b867165d
 -----------------------------------------------------
=== WARNING! =====================================
There is no root password defined on this device!
Use the "passwd" command to set up a new password
in order to prevent unauthorized SSH logins.
--------------------------------------------------
root@OpenWrt:~#

I did try to go back to the factory build using the "standard" TFTP procedures. Per those procedures I was on 192.168.0 (Zero) not 192.168.1. For a hard HW reset it's unclear which will be the device IP address. Not sure it matters at this point. I may try setting up TFTP as a 192.168.1 network, but wanted to hear from this group first.

Any ideas what I did wrong? And for the big question... how do I fix it? If I'm asking dumb newbie questions please let me know some search arguments that will work and I'm happy to dig around.

Thank you in advance.

snapshot does not contain luci...

1 Like

Perfect. Thank you.

So, I did get the "wrong" build.

I see how to install the GUI (Luci) so moving forward shouldn't be difficult.

Thanks again. Just the push I needed.

2 Likes