New to OpenWrt. How to upgrade AX6S?

Followed the tutorial and successfully installed. :grinning:
But I am unable to upgrade

I tried sys-upgrade and bricked.
"mtd write /tmp/xxx.abc linux && reboot" does not work
"mtd write /tmp/xxx.abc kernel && reboot" does not work
"mtd -r write /tmp/xxx.abc kernel && reboot" does not work

Can anyone help me?

Did you type literally this mtd write xxx.abc? You need to replace xxx.abc with the name of the file you've downloaded.

Yes I did that

root@OpenWrt:/tmp# wget https://downloads.openwrt.org/releases/22.03.2/targets/m
ediatek/mt7622/openwrt-22.03.2-mediatek-mt7622-xiaomi_redmi-router-ax6s-squashfs
-factory.bin
Downloading 'https://downloads.openwrt.org/releases/22.03.2/targets/mediatek/mt7622/openwrt-22.03.2-mediatek-mt7622-xiaomi_redmi-router-ax6s-squashfs-factory.bin'
Connecting to 168.119.138.211:443
Writing to 'openwrt-22.03.2-mediatek-mt7622-xiaomi_redmi-router-ax6s-squashfs-factory.bin'
openwrt-22.03.2-medi 100% |*******************************| 10240k  0:00:00 ETA
Download completed (10485760 bytes)
root@OpenWrt:/tmp# mtd write /tmp/openwrt-22.03.2-mediatek-mt7622-xiaomi_redmi-r
outer-ax6s-squashfs-factory.bin linux
Could not open mtd device: linux
Can't open device for writing!
root@OpenWrt:/tmp# 

root@OpenWrt:/tmp# mtd write /tmp/openwrt-22.03.2-mediatek-mt7622-xiaomi_redmi-r
outer-ax6s-squashfs-factory.bin kernel
Unlocking kernel ...

Writing from /tmp/openwrt-22.03.2-mediatek-mt7622-xiaomi_redmi-router-ax6s-squashfs-factory.bin to kernel ...  [e]Failed to get erase block status
root@OpenWrt:/tmp# mtd -r write /tmp/openwrt-22.03.2-mediatek-mt7622-xiaomi_redm
i-router-ax6s-squashfs-factory.bin kernel
Unlocking kernel ...

Writing from /tmp/openwrt-22.03.2-mediatek-mt7622-xiaomi_redmi-router-ax6s-squashfs-factory.bin to kernel ...  [e]Failed to get erase block status
root@OpenWrt:/tmp# 

shouldn't use the factory image when upgrading existing openwrt installs.

and then there's the sysupgrade command.

Known Issue: It is reported that some newer AX6S can only flash factory image and is impossible to use a sysupgrade image. Personal investigation shows that the mtd partitions are offset with -0x20000. So kernel/root partition and ubi volume and written into the wrong position, thus bricks the device.

So I need to do a factory flash. But do not know how to do it.

I guess you are talking about @mikeeq Github page. I read over that quickly but don't see anything about using mtd to write the factory image. Using mtd on NAND flash is generally not recommended because it has no logic to deal with bad blocks.

I don't own that model but if I were in your situation I'd probably go with the bootloader UART process of booting up an initramfs OpenWrt then using it to install the sysupgrade. If running sysupgrade with the sysupgrade image does not work, that is a bug that should be reported and investigated.

I used " Attended Sysupgrade" at the end

This topic was automatically closed 10 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.