So my age old friend, Archer C7, have revealed its flaws when i upgraded to 500/500 from my ISP, and will be retired to my moms house when/if not needed anymore.
Internet connection 500/500mbps
Wi-Fi: Maybe, more info below.
Gigabit Ethernet: Yes, more below
USB ports: Preferably 2x USB, at least 1x 3.0
Devices: 6 wireless devices usually. Phones and laptops for browsing and "office" work.
Other services: Router level VPN is prefered.
Price range: Middle to Enthusiast
Current network setup:
- Fibermodem/router: Inteno EG400. As this is a requirement form the ISP i use it for my wifi guest networks + bridge mode.
- LAN port 4 goes to my 2nd router (Archer C7) which runs my home network.
- Raspberry-Pi 3 with PiHole as DNS server + requred firewall settings to redirect ALL DNS traffic through PiHole.
- TP-Link SG108E switch for TV/PS4/AppleTV/Reciever+++
- All performance dependent devices are wired.
- Currently installing Cat6 wires to most rooms (11 sockets so far), and plan to use a TL-SG1016DE as main switch.
- Will get a dedicated PoE Access Point that should cover the entire "house". (2 story apartment, wooden construction, 10m max range) Thinking about Ubiquiti UniFi since they have incredible WAF.
- Will add dedicated NAS at some point.
- I was looking at the D-link DIR-3060 AC3000 but i see it lacks Open-WRT support (yet?). I can get one for about $80 this week.
- The Netgear R7800 seems to be a popular choice, but getting old?
- Raspberry Pi 4 looks promising if you only need routing, not wifi. A temporary solution until i get a dedicated AP is to use the Archer C7 as wireless AP in that case.
Any ideas for a device that would suit my needs, either from the above list or something else?