New OpenWRT - Owner of orphaned IQRouter V2

My router is 19.07.6. I am considering the install of the ipset utility which was not in this rev. Looking for advice. Not an expert but not a newbie. Thanks

EDIT: I was wrong.... see below.

The IQRouter, as far as I can tell, was developed by a company and used a heavily modified version of OpenWrt. The device has never been supported by the offiial OpenWrt project, and there is no firmware currently available from openwrt.org that will work on that device.

Therefore, you will need to rely soley on what remains of the IQRouter's firmware sources (IIRC, they went bankrupt or just vanished, so probably nobody to talk to from their company).

If you are willing to take on the development activities, it might be possible to add support for the device into the official project, but that is highly dependent on the chipsets it uses and your willingness and ability to develop that support.

Ouch. I'm not interested really in upgrading the router. All I was wondering about really was adding the IPSET function(s). When I run their 'software' from the gui it seems to show two files "ipset" v7.3.1 which is only 2.1kb in size and what I'm guessing is the complete library "libipset13" V 7.3.1, 41.1 kb. Do you think it would work if I use the KISS method and just simply install the 2.1 kb file which I assume is just a script?

EDIT: Likewise, my incorrect starting point makes this irrelevant, too

Honestly, nobody here is likely to know what will and won't work with your device given the custom firmware that it runs.

I would guess that there would be numerous low-level dependencies that won't work. For example, on 23.05.0, we see this:

# opkg info ipset
Package: ipset
Version: 7.17-1
Depends: libc, kmod-ipt-ipset, libmnl0, libipset13
Section: net
Architecture: mips_24kc
Size: 2233
Filename: ipset_7.17-1_mips_24kc.ipk
Description: IPset administration utility

the dependencies surely won't work on another version.

You'll be best off with one of the following options:

• obtain a device that can run the latest OpenWrt from the official project.
  • find a forum that supports that specific device (this one cannot support it) and ask questions there.

Not quite, https://evenroute.com/eol lists what commercial models their different versions were based on, and for most/all of these an OpenWrt built already exists:

IQrouter v2: Archer C7 either v2, v4 or v5 models.
IQrouter v3: ZBT-we3526
IQrouter Pro: x86

I think that is really not necessary, as the IQrouters were intentionally based on commercially available router hardware already supported by upstream OpenWrt.

P.S.: I always liked the IQrouter as an OpenWrt based product that came with automatic (opt-in) updates and enough hand-holding to be used by users generally non interested in admin'ing their home network. Sad, that they closed shop, one option less to recommend. I also liked their founder a lot.

5 Likes

Woohoo! I'm totally happy to be wrong here!

This means that the OP should be able to install official OpenWrt!

2 Likes

Yes, and even on their way-out evenroute (the company behind the IQrouter series) showed IMHO exemplary behavior!

6 Likes

Thanks to both of you. I'm extremely leery of installing a bunch of libraries. When I run the command you show it shows a bunch of dependencies

root@Cisco:~# opkg info ipset
Package: ipset
Version: 7.3-1
Depends: libc, kmod-ipt-ipset, libmnl0, libipset13
Section: net
Architecture: mips_24kc
Size: 2120
Filename: ipset_7.3-1_mips_24kc.ipk
Description: IPset administration utility

Hmmm... Don't want to mess up a working unit

When I run the cli command i get

auc -c
auc (0.1.4)
cannot request packagelist from rpcd

Am I just "stuck"?
I think I found the answer in the WRT notes "Sysupgrade from 19.07 to 22.03 is not supported."

UGH. I'll just leave it alone for now.

I don't think you're stuck exactly, but after you upgrade you will need to install any desired packages not part of the OpenWrt default configuration and reconfigure your router from scratch from the default OpenWrt configuration. So before you start, you'll want to have an idea of what packages are installed on your current IQRouter and save a backup of configuration files to help guide you in setting things up again. There may be some minor differences in package from 19.07 to 23.05. I know, "minor" is in the eye of the beholder, but there is no getting around starting from scratch to upgrade.

The instructions in the evenroute eol link that specify using a sysupgrade image explain why: "Note: upgrades from OpenWRT 18 or 19 to 22 or newer will require using a forced upgrade and losing all existing settings, as there was a significant change in the settings structure."

First things first - you must determine what Archer C7 hardware version your IQRouter V2 is from your router's GUI overview page or the label on the bottom. Do you have an Archer C7 v2, v4 or v5?

Current OpenWrt stable firmware for various Archer c7 versions (i.e., v2, v4 or v5 sysupgrade) can be downloaded from here: https://downloads.openwrt.org/releases/23.05.0/targets/ath79/generic/

When you install the new firmware, you will need to check the force upgrade option and do NOT keep settings. In other words, you will be starting with a default OpwnWrt installation and the default configuration settings.

There are 2 loads shown. A huge size difference?

openwrt-23.05.0-ath79-generic-tplink_archer-c7-v2-squashfs-factory-us
openwrt-23.05.0-ath79-generic-tplink_archer-c7-v2-initramfs-kernel

Thanks. I don't have a lot to re-enter

Size will not matter. They will all fit on your flash.

However, you do not want the two you listed.

This (sysupgrade) is the one you want (assuming your IQRouter V2 router is an Archer C7 v2, and not a v4 and not a v5): tplink_archer-c7-v2-squashfs-sysupgrade.bin

If you are going to add a lot of packages, you can save space by using the firmware selector to build a sysupgrade firmware image with the packages you want already built in. If you choose this route, you will at a minimum want to add luci (it is included in the sysupgrade image I linked above, but the firmware selector will not include luci unless you ask for it). You do this by clicking on the "Customize installed packages and/or first boot script" drop down menu, and adding "luci" to the list of packages. You can of course add a lot more packages - as long as the image fits in your 16 MB flash. Then click the "Request Build" button, and when it is done, download the sysupgrade firmware it built for you. These are packages I would add, but you don't have to go with what I like. I put ipset first in the list for you.

ipset luci luci-app-ddns drill luci-app-sqm luci-proto-wireguard luci-app-wireguard curl ca-certificates stubby luci-app-https-dns-proxy luci-app-statistics luci-app-adblock tcpdump-mini  openvpn-openssl openvpn-easy-rsa luci-app-openvpn openssh-sftp-server diffutils iperf3 htop coremark speedtest-netperf luci-app-p910nd kmod-usb-printer luci-app-ksmbd ksmbd-hotplug kmod-usb2 kmod-usb-storage kmod-usb-storage-uas f2fs-tools kmod-fs-f2fs hdparm luci-app-hd-idle e2fsprogs kmod-fs-ext4 kmod-fs-exfat libblkid1 kmod-nls-utf8 kmod-nls-cp437 kmod-fs-vfat ntfs-3g wsdd2 hfsfsck kmod-fs-hfs kmod-fs-hfsplus ksmbd-avahi-service luci-app-minidlna wavemon pbr luci-app-pbr

1 Like

I would recommend first upgrading your device to the official Openwrt 19.07 (ath79, sysupgrade image). Do not keep settings - a full reset to defaults is required.

Then, you should be able to safely upgrade directly to 23.05 as long as you uncheck the keep settings checkbox.

Sounds do-able. The "software" selection from Evenroute displays "194 packages installed" but does not give an option to print a list for comparison? Hate to sound like a newbie but I want to make sure I don't brick it.

When I try to use the build selector I get "unsupported branch" for all of the V19 selections. Does openwrt-19.07.6-ath79-generic-tplink_archer-c7-v2-squashfs-sysupgrade look like a good file?

Yes, that file should be fine.

The better approach might be this: what features do you need?

Hmmm.. ipset, luci for sure but it looks like there are a ton of "luci" files. I'm using the router at all defaults from Evenroute except I've customized DDNS. Take a look at my modified list; What is the "plus" at the end? Is "wavemon" something for sound? If it is, I don't need it.

ipset luci luci-app-ddns drill luci-app-sqm curl ca-certificates stubby luci-app-https-dns-proxy luci-app-statistics  openvpn-openssl openvpn-easy-rsa luci-app-openvpn openssh-sftp-server speedtest-netperf luci-app-p910nd luci-app-ksmbd ksmbd-hotplug f2fs-tools kmod-fs-f2fs hdparm luci-app-hd-idle e2fsprogs kmod-fs-ext4 kmod-fs-exfat libblkid1 kmod-nls-utf8 kmod-nls-cp437 kmod-fs-vfat ntfs-3g wsdd2 hfsfsck kmod-fs-hfs plus luci-app-minidlna wavemon pbr luci-app-pbr

Yes, I have a IQrouterV3, and after I flashed the latest Openwrt, my 5ghz band was stuck at 3db max power, it took some google-fu to find problem but I finally did.

They are actually WE1326, for some reason they worked on previous Openwrt versions.

I sent that info to evenroute's support, and surprisingly they are still active, the owner added the note you see on their EOL page about mismatched units.

OpenWrt packages install their dependencies in addition to the package you select. This is why there are so many (194) packages listed as installed on your current router. The list I suggested does not identify all dependencies, because they will be installed automatically.

I don't see a plus at the end when I scroll to the right...

wavemon is a command line utility to monitor WiFi connection performance that takes very little flash space. In general, if you do not know what a package is, google the package name and OpenWrt and you'll quickly learn what it is. Aside, I built an Archer C7 firmware with the package list I suggested before I posted it to make sure it would fit in your 16 mb flash.

This. However, I'm guessing you are struggling with what features are currently on your router, and what packages are needed to replicate them. The process to do this is to research features one by one, then research the packages needed to use them (often dependencies will not get you all the packages needed for a feature, so you need to do some research), etc. Then it is handy to keep a text file with a list of the packages so you don't have to repeat the process (as I do) - though occasionally the developers change the dependencies around from one major version to the next, so small adjustments to the list once in a while are unavoidable. Or you can start with the reasonably sensible suggestion of packages I left you for 23.03 :wink: AFTER you install 19.07 as suggested by psherman (do not keep settings), then install 23.03 after that with the packages you want (again, do not keep settings).

The features I install in my list: luci; ddns; Wireguard VPN; SQM/QoS to tame bufferbloat (the feature you purchased your IQ route for); DNS over TLS capability; DNS over HTTPs; luci_Statistics to display CPU, memory and traffic usage over time; a lightweight ad blocker and tcpdumpmini with it to support saving passed and allowed traffic lists; OpenVPN; a small utility to diff config files; perf3 to tst network throughput; htop to monitor CPU load in detail; coremark to test and compare CPU performance between different routers; speedtest is self explanatory; p910nd to support a plugged in USB printer on the network (I don't us this any more myself) and enough packages to attach a usb disk drive, access storage on it over the network for common file systems, and use it as a dlna media library; wavemon we talked about ;-); policy based routing utility to support bypassing VPN on some interfaces but not others.

1 Like