New NetGear R7800 - Where to start

Is there anything now in the system logfile?

I'm back here.

When am I supposed to find anything there related to DDNS with SSL? Do you have idea of what kind of lines I am supposed to find? I have no idea what to look for!

@DjiPi I have checked systemlog and the only thing related to DDNS I can see is this:

Fri May  8 22:44:01 2020 user.info ddns-scripts[6181]: noip_ddns: Rerun IP check at 2020-05-08 22:44

But nothing that tells me that SSL is actually being used!

I'm sorry, I really can't help you more. I don't even use DDNS on my OpenWrt, I was trying to point you to the right direction. I'm using it on my Synology instead.

All the information I gave you, I've got them using the forum. You need to search on the forum for DDNS Script Log, you'll find plenty of log samples, like this one:

Don't take it wrong, but someone with knowledge about this will need to chime in because I'm the blind who's walking the blind actually :wink:

1 Like

Sure. I appreciate your help.

@DjiPi I just got what I wanted but with the help of someone.

Let me say here how I was able to get it.
I think I was looking for more debug output than what the script and the service are prepared to output so I changed the variable VERBOSE to a value of 2 in /usr/lib/ddns/dynamic_dns_functions.sh because I see this line:

if [ ${use_logfile:-1} -eq 1 -o $VERBOSE -gt 1 ]; then

So, setting VERBOSE to any value greater than 1, gets me the following output:

122453       : sending real IP to 'no-ip.com'
122453       : #> /usr/bin/curl -RsS -o /var/run/ddns/noip_ddns.dat --stderr /var/run/ddns/noip_ddns.err --capath /etc/ssl/certs --noproxy '*' 'https://blablabla:***PW***@dynupdate.no-ip.com/nic/update?hostname=blablabla.ble.bli&myip=xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx'
122454       : 'no-ip.com' answered:
good xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx
122454  info : Update successful - IP 'xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx' send
122454       : Waiting 600 seconds (Check Interval)
1 Like

That’s Where I was trying to get you, glad you got trough!

Thank you.
I think I'll keep using this thread for upcoming tasks. I now want to do 2 other things. Setup a remote log so that I can save logs somewhere out of the router, in order to save space, and also setup DoT.

I will also want to get familiar with firewall settings. But that's another 500s.

Hello,

Once more, trying to configure something in my OpenWrt.
I'm trying to redirect some traffic to allow SSH connections from outside. I've added the following to my /etc/config/firewall file, after saving a backup:

config redirect
    option name      'OutToIn-SSH'
    option src       'wan'
    option dest      'lan'
    option dest_ip   '192.168.1.112'
    option dest_port 'xxxxx'
    option proto     'tcp'
    option target    'DNAT'

And I also want to open 'xxxxx' port so I'm adding this, but not sure how to complete the section:

config rule
    option name 'OpenPortSSH'
    option src 'wlan'
    option dest 'lan'
    option dest_port 'xxxxx'

Well, I guess only the upper part is needed. No config rule needed as my laptop with internal IP will ever be accessible from outside!