New Nanopi r1 OpenWrt 22.03.2 no ip

I have the same problem with my Nanopi R1.

The red system led is blinking (heart beat), but the green leds for LAN and WAN stay off. On the WAN interface there is no DHCP request for an IP and I can't get an IP on the LAN interface.

The sdcard image for 21.02.5 boots and works as expected, but not the sdcard image for 22.03.2. With the latter seems something fundamentally wrong. I tried the standard image and a customized version from the firmware selector - both fail to boot. Also the snapshot version fails to boot, too.

Is there any chance to get a working sdcard image for the Nanopi R1?

1 Like

There's a patch on the link below , if you can try it and add your experience to get it in official builds.

I haven't a build environment, so no chance to try it. Sorry.

In the meantime I tried the 22.03.2 images for the ZeroPi (very similiar to the NanoPi R1). Same results = no booting, no IP on the lan side.

It's a pity, I like both devices, because they have a low power consumption (less than 2 W/h for my 50/10 internet plan).

Can someone confirm that this this topics problem is fixed in 22.03.3?

nanopi r1 22.03.3

I've tried it on my nanopi r1 , with same result no booting & no ip given as a result.
last working version is openwrt-21.02.5-sunxi-cortexa7.

Anyone an idea when a patch will incorporated?

No idea, but I'm also waiting for a patch. You're not walking alone. :neutral_face:

I see this issue is still open :
github nanopi r1 issue
When will this fix be applied in the releases?

Can anyone confirm it is fixed in the 22.03.5 release?

I just installed 22.03.5 on a FriendlyARM NanoPi R1S and I can confirm the issue with WAN is still present. Even when I set a static IP v4 address on WAN. I still did not get any communication with the internet nor the upstream router.

Please copy the output of the following commands and post it here using the "Preformatted text </> " button:
grafik
Remember to redact passwords, MAC addresses and any public IP addresses you may have:

cat /etc/config/network
cat /etc/config/wireless
cat /etc/config/dhcp
cat /etc/config/firewall

the problem is introduced in 22.x.x , last working version was 21.03.5

The problem and patch is described in https://github.com/openwrt/openwrt/issues/11104

How and when is a patch applied to a release?

Hi @tubos Joop, Hi @Barney !

Excuse me for probably newbie question.

I have been using ZeroPi for about two years and more or less got along with their forked custom version of openwrt based on 19.07.1 release and 4.14.111 kernel. From time to time I bumped at its limitations but essentially they were not blockers for me. Now I have quite critical need for which I need the package that is not available for my kernel. And I have been always thinking on upgrading to fresher version of vanilla openwrt.

I have made multiple attempts but they all failed at very initial step. Table of Hardware: Firmware downloads offers only squashfs image while ext4 also available at downloads openwrt org.

I decompressed gz archive and burned sd card using the same tool I used for FriendlyWrt image burning - Win32DiskImager.

In all the attempts I simply cannot ssh to 192.168.1.1 (of course, I set static ip on my PC eth port in the same subnet). I saw in WireShark ARP messages are sent from my PC but no response is received.
Yesterday I tried 22.03.05. After reading this thread today I tried the latest pre-22 release available at https://downloads.openwrt.org/releases/ - 21.02.07

I also tried 192.168.2.1 mentioned in FriendlyElec wiki. No success

I do not have USB2UART adapter, so I cannot look into what is going on.

It seems I am missing some basic thing. Could you help? Just give a hint for a start to escape from this dead end :slight_smile:

PS: as a temporary workaround I would be satisfied for a while if I could find kmod-ip-vti_4.14.111_arm_cortex-a7_neon-vfpv4.ipk but it is not available at downloads page. Also, I am not sure if a kernel module can be installed on a compiled system.

Last working OpenWrt version for me was 21.02.x. I tried 22.03.x, but no success. I and some other fellow user/owner are still waiting for a new release, which works.

1 Like

Thank you Barney! Earlier you wrote

As I tried 21.05.7 I will try 21.05.5 then

Hi @Barney Barney!
I was out for few days. Now I tried 21.02.5 for ZeroPi
https://downloads.openwrt.org/releases/21.02.5/targets/sunxi/cortexa7/openwrt-21.02.5-sunxi-cortexa7-friendlyarm_zeropi-squashfs-sdcard.img.gz
I have the same result. No response to ARP messages from my PC. Here is a wireshark capture:

What am I doing wrong? Any hint?

I've installed the ext4 version, not the squashfs version. In theory both should deliver the same results.

1 Like

I'm still running 21.02.05 , but i'm hoping the problem with 22.x.x builds will be fixed in the near future.

Did you try or test the new 23.05.x with the Nanopi R1 or Zeropi?

Did you mean? 22.03.5 release ?

Yes i tried it on my nanopi R1 with the same problem as all 22.xx.x releases

No, the new 23.05.0-RC3.