Luci-proto-modemmanager support thread

Just a request, would it be possible to add in a "use gateway metric" insert box?

Nice, I will be wanting to try that very soon. How did you get it to work?

I'll look into adding use gateway metric.

Had to use metrics on both interfaces is how I got it working.

That is really good, looks like it is pretty much feature complete. I had a look at the code but couldn't find any license, which means we may have to treat it as if it is under copyright. Where did you find it? Maybe the author would want to make it open source.

Just a short update/plug. Work is being done to upgrade the OpenWrt integration to be used with future versions of ModemManager, such as 1.9 and above. Namely support for the new key/value style output is underway. Anyone can track progress and/or contribute here: https://bitbucket.org/mips171/modemmanager-openwrt/src/WIP/modemmanager/files/modemmanager.proto

The integration is mainly implemented as shell scripts. At this stage everything except for DNS seems to work, but we also need to add support for attributes that have multiple values. The DNS issue could potentially be fixed by someone with someone with better awk skills than me.

Just an update for anyone wanting to use the latest modemmanager. DNS is now working with the latest commit in the WIP branch, but it only supports one DNS server at the moment.

Im trying to build with this but after update and installing feeds luci-proto-modemmanager does not show up in the menuconfig. Any idea what i have missed?

Did you try doing a ./scripts/feeds update -a && ./scripts/feeds install -a?

Yes, but the build failed any way, I'll start again and let you know how it goes.

Post the output if you have trouble

As requested, gateway metric is now added (on master branch)

Compiled fine on x86/64 APU2, have not tested with a 4G USB modem yet.
See the issue raised/commented on your Atlassian repo.

Doublecheck to ensure that upstream dependencies are met for libqmi and libmbim

For ubuntu build host, include the following along normal packages needed for openwrt builds - some of this might be redundant

apt-get install build-essential git pkg-config automake autoconf intltool libtool gtk-doc-tools libglib2.0-dev libgudev-1.0-dev intltool xsltproc

FYI - upstream for ModemManager has moved from BitBucket to GitLab

From

https://bitbucket.org/aleksander0m/modemmanager-openwrt/src/master/

To

So folks that are working on this should shift the src-git lines if pulling directly...

As a side note - MM and the luci-protocol-modemmanager add-ins are working well with ar71xx on Master with several modems that support QMI.

Tested on GL-iNet AR-150...

Really nice work, and I think the community would benefit - even though it's a bit large as it pulls in a ton of code.

@biangbiangmian - pls add a proper README file to your repo, and you'll likely want to choose a license (GPL, etc...) for code to get accepted in.

Also note in your bitbucket repo is that you're nested, folder within a folder.

That being said - code works under Master, and touch up a couple of items, and perhaps with with Aleksander Morgado to get your stuff integrated directly, and this could be a real win.

best,

sfx

2 Likes

Thanks for that @sfx2000. I have added the license, moved it out of the nested directory, and also copied it to Github to make it potentially easier to pull it into LuCI when the time comes. https://github.com/nickberry17/luci-proto-modemmanager

Great news, and much appreciate the effort taken.

There is some work underway to incorporate ModemManager as an official OpenWrt package.

1 Like

Added additional info on the github thread - AR9331 (64/16) with uBlox Sara R4, works good...

Good job getting things to this stage, lets keep fingers crossed that it MM and the LUCI side get accepted into Master.

That kind of opened up a whole lot of discussion - which is good... peer review exposes everything to the light of day.

Happy to be one of those to provide the "nudge" to move it forward.

Now is the question of who will be the maintainer - and that's a significant time commitment.

1 Like