Network Recovery from Power Down

Whilst my equipment is UPS protected there are occasional instances where the equipment still loses power. I've noticed that when the stack powers back up there is no network connectivity through the OpenWRT router.

Digging in a little deeper, it seems the cause is that while the OpenWRT router boots into network ready state in about 20 seconds, my switches (overly complicated Ruckus ICX managed units) take a full 3.5 minutes (!) to boot into a state they can pass traffic.

This seems to confound OpenWRT and leaves the switch-to-router trunk VLAN interfaces in a non-operational state, even after the interfaces eventually come up on the switch.

It only takes a restart of the network on the router to fix this (/etc/init.d/restart) but this manual intervention is preventing the stack from self-recovering.

Obviously I could put a delay into the OpenWRT startup or trigger a scripted network restart after a fixed period of time, but this feels like a band-aid rather than a fix. Any ideas if this can be fixed in the core network config? Is there a setting that will tell it to bring up the interface without waiting for a link?

These are the interfaces that don't pass traffic in this scenario:

config device
        option name 'br-lan'
        option type 'bridge'
        list ports 'eth1'
        list ports 'eth5'
        list ports 'eth6.10'
        list ports 'eth7'
        option mtu '9000'

config device
        option name 'br-mgmt'
        option type 'bridge'
        list ports 'eth4.100'
        list ports 'eth6.100'
        option mtu '9000'

config device
        option name 'br-guest'
        option type 'bridge'
        list ports 'eth4.200'
        list ports 'eth6.200'
        option mtu '9000'

config device
        option name 'br-iot'
        option type 'bridge'
        list ports 'eth4.300'
        list ports 'eth6.300'
        option mtu '9000'

Please run the following commands (copy-paste the whole block) and paste the output here, using the "Preformatted text </> " button:
grafik
Remember to redact passwords, MAC addresses and any public IP addresses you may have

ubus call system board; \
uci export network; uci export firewall; \
head -n -0 /etc/firewall.user ; \
dmesg ; logread

It would be better to perform a poweroff then poweron and let the switch come fully up before you run the commands.

I'll have to wait until later to do this, but will supply.

The only hunch I have is that as these are SFP+ optical links they might not be triggering an interface state change on the router when they come up on the switch.

We'll see about that, it might be possible to workaround that with watchcat.