Netgear X10 (R9000)

+1 for this one, if anyone knows.

@egorenar ?

If this were an official release, it wouldn't matter as you could install packages as desired.

Oh, okay. I was just previously under the impression that official releases came with some packages already bundled into it, and with custom images I had to build it all myself.

I can try @manni-m builds that he linked to on Github. I also see that he has uploaded a file called "build-instructions.txt", so if I follow that it might be easier for me to build in the future.

Am I reading this correctly, and SR-IoV is supported on this device?
If so, it may allow (in the future, as this will probably require significant changes to OpenWrt) for hardware NAT acceleration without giving up on SQM?

FYI, i introduced nvmem-layout which makes the script /etc/hotplug.d/firmware/11-ath10k-caldata redundant and finally fixes WLAN mac addresses which were incorrect until now (e.g. something like 12:34:56:78:90:12). With this WLAN mac addresses are derived from data on the flash.

Inspired by: https://github.com/openwrt/openwrt/commit/d264d3a60ecc1813a3a10497ad3171605b9faa71

# dmesg

[   22.084179] ath10k_pci 0001:03:00.0: board_file api 2 bmi_id 0:1 crc32 0bfe5c35
[   24.885026] amba fd891000.timer1: deferred probe pending
[   25.608506] ath10k_pci 0001:03:00.0: 10.4 wmi init: vdevs: 16  peers: 48  tid: 96
[   25.616055] ath10k_pci 0001:03:00.0: msdu-desc: 2500  skid: 32
[   25.696930] ath10k_pci 0001:03:00.0: wmi print 'P 48/48 V 16 K 144 PH 176 T 186  msdu-desc: 2500  sw-crypt: 0 ct-sta: 0'
[   25.707825] ath10k_pci 0001:03:00.0: wmi print 'free: 84920 iram: 13156 sram: 11224'
[   25.991734] ath10k_pci 0001:03:00.0: htt-ver 2.2 wmi-op 6 htt-op 4 cal pre-cal-nvmem max-sta 32 raw 0 hwcrypto 1

Take note of pre-cal-nvmem in the above output.

And there are no longer calibration files:

root@OpenWrt-dev:/# ls -l /lib/firmware/ath10k/QCA9984/hw1.0/
-rw-r--r--    1 root     root        281312 Nov 25 11:56 board-2.bin
-rw-r--r--    1 root     root        621724 Nov 25 11:56 firmware-5.bin

And BSSID shouldn't be a dummy:

3 Likes

Great work, Thanks for the update!

anyone that uses fantastic-packages getting errors recently when trying to build? I have narrowed it down to the fantastic-packages repository as the issue. I deleted my build environment and added things back one at a time. Everything works until i add fantastic-packages back in. Just wondered if anyone had the same issue?

I am getting a new error:

WARNING: Makefile 'package/fantastic-packages/luci/luci-app-wechatpush/Makefile' has a dependency on 'wrtbwmon', which does not exist

IDK if its part of the fantastic-packages repository, but i'm thinking of just unselecting it (if I can find it)

Let's dissect the warning (it's a warning, not an error). So there is an unsatisfied dependency declared for luci-app-wechatpush package on another package (wrtbwmon). As long as you don't intend to build/ use luci-app-wechatpush (=n), there is nothing to worry about, be it broken or not (if you do need it, you'd need to fix the situation, but do you?).

1 Like

@egorenar

Any change for access to the cpu frequency so we use cpugovernor?

Also does Routing/NAT Offloading hardware flow offloading work?

Thank you for the hard work, and I'm thinking of making a simple website with all packages built daily so people can just download them and the firmware, simplifying things for many!

New OpenWRT Linux v6.1.69 builds for Netgear R9000 and XR700

https://github.com/masmbit/Netgear-R9000-Build/tree/master/bin/01.01.2024

images, screenshot and build instructions in the link

4 Likes

in your instructions you have this step to add SFP to lan, if executed will this prevent the sfp port from working as WAN, I just bought a sfp ubiquiti ufiber instant to use my fiber cable directly hooked to openwrt and throw away the ISP supplied modem. is there a different command to execute when building ? or I should just not execute the command you gave for making the sfp work as wan ?

# >>> add the 10G SFP Port (eth0) to the LAN; enable the LED of the 10G SFP Port <<<
echo "uci set network.@device[0].ports='eth0'; uci add_list network.@device[0].ports='eth1.1'; uci commit network;" > target/linux/alpine/base-files/etc/uci-defaults/99-sfp-port
echo "uci -q delete system.@led[0]; uci add system led; uci set system.@led[0].name='SFP'; uci set system.@led[0].sysfs='white:sfp'; uci set system.@led[0].trigger='netdev'; uci set system.@led[0].dev='eth0'; uci set system.@led[0].mode='link'; uci add_list system.@led[0].mode='tx'; uci add_list system.@led[0].mode='rx'; uci commit system;" >> target/linux/alpine/base-files/etc/uci-defaults/99-sfp-port

another thing why are you using mwan3 ? will this allow using sfp as wan ? or you have another use case for it?

Thank you

With MultiWAN Manger it's possible to use the SFP port as WAN

To Enable:

a) Remove the eth0 (SFP) from the lan bridge
Network -> Interfaces -> Devices -> Configure br_lan -> Bridge ports -> uncheck eth0 -> Save & Apply

b) Create wanb and add eth0 (SFP)
Network -> Interfaces -> Add new interface -> set name to wanb -> select device eth0 -> Create
Interface

c) Set wanb firewall setting
Assign firewall-zone "wan" -> save -> Save & Apply

d) Enable wanb in MultiWAN Manger
Network -> MultiWAN Manager -> Interface -> Edit "wanb" -> check Enabled -> save -> Save & Apply

e) Optional: Remove DNS tracking to force always on
Network -> MultiWAN Manager -> Interface -> Edit "wanb" -> remove the DNS IP's in "Tracking hostname or Ip address" -> save -> Save & Apply

f) reboot is required to enable correctly WAN SFP+ Port
System -> Reboot
1 Like

Your test is not with NAT because traffic from R9000/xf700 itself, right? If we want to test NAT of 10G sfp, because of limitation of LAN bandwidth, I'm thinking if we can use two vlans for sfp port. eth0.1 is for LAN and eth0.2 is for wan. Such test may need a manageable switch with 10G sfp port.

thank for taking the time to reply, will report back when i get it and try it

Thank you masmbit, and egorenar!
Compile sucessed! R9000 is running stable, will make more test on the ipk installed.

Is there something wrong with the package "openwrt-netdata-ssl" in fantastic-packages?
getting an error in compile when netdata was added:

make[3] -C package/fantastic-packages/packages/openwrt-netdata-ssl compile
ERROR: package/feeds/packages/netdata failed to build.

After removing the package, the compile completed normally, and the new firmware seems runing good.

Hi.
Is there any chance that this router will have an official build?
I love this router because of the great range. I also use Linux but don't feel the need of learning how to compile this myself :slight_smile:
Thanks!

1 Like

@ cliffmanw
compiling with the latest source code some times failed because some packages are not compatible with the new source code. Often it works again the next days because errors or problems are fixed again. However, the errors can also be caused by a missing or too old library in the build system. The OpenWrt build system should always be updated before compiling: sudo apt update

New OpenWRT Linux v6.1.80 builds for Netgear R9000 and XR700

https://github.com/masmbit/Netgear-R9000-Build/tree/master/bin/15.03.2024

images, screenshot and build instructions in the link

2 Likes