Netgear WAX206 Support

I tend to stay on purely snapshot releases as i do not need Luci.

Im wondering if 23.06 might turn up.

23.05-rc1 is announced, I retested with RC1. The upload performance bug for Apple iOS AX devices is still present: 802.11ax worse than 802.11ac with mt76 driver? - #444 by odrt

Will be the same for Netgear WAX206.

Is anyone else having issues connecting this router on latest snapshot or RC to another AP (wireless client mode)?

Package builder failing for me. :frowning:
I guess is missing packages still?

snapshot works but not rc1

Downloading file:packages/Packages.sig
Signature check failed.
Remove wrong Signature file.
Collected errors:
 * pkg_hash_check_unresolved: cannot find dependency libubox20220927 for mtd
 * pkg_hash_fetch_best_installation_candidate: Packages for mtd found, but incompatible with the architectures configured
 * opkg_install_cmd: Cannot install package mtd.
 * satisfy_dependencies_for: Cannot satisfy the following dependencies for mtd:
 * 	libubox20220927
 * opkg_install_cmd: Cannot install package mtd.
make[2]: *** [Makefile:186: package_install] Error 255
make[1]: *** [Makefile:151: _call_manifest] Error 2
make: *** [Makefile:271: manifest] Error 2

Expected ABI drift during RC

So I guess snapshot better way to go for now?

Until RC2 I'd say yes.

1 Like

Well now I am stuck on the netgear firmware, it says invalid password when trying to set a default password lol. Anyway to bypass the welcome screen on it?

Just read your link, wow talk about bad luck on my timing, bad luck follows me around so not unexpected, I guess rc2 could be weeks, so i will use snapshot and hope it works as well as the rc1 snapshot.

• Password: Funny you should mention that. I also tried to bypass OEM and go straight to TFTP. Never got it to work, in fact the power LED never went through the flashing-orange mode that's documented in netgear's KB. I just relented and let it connect upstream so it would let me define a password for a one-time login to flash the snapshot. The password selection UI is, to put it kindly, fiddly. If you're pasting passwords, try deleting then again typing back the last character, on both the main and "confirmation" field.

• Snapshot: Yeah, RC stage is a bit of a treadmill but I'd argue that's by design, main purpose as I see it is to shake down the release and report back issues, so some keeping up is expected.

Well I got it to accept a random password firefox generated, waited for a progress bar and it dumped me to routerlogin.net 192.168.1.1 is no longer pingable. :((

So I guess need to already firmware reset this thing with recovery somehow, is a bit of a tardy setup by netgear here.

Well I am stuck. manual doesnt show how to do recovery, it also doesnt really give understandable install instructions, what an odd router, never thought I would not know how to login to a shipped router.

If no one knows, I will return it and get a replacement.

That sounds weird, because I just use the official welcome screen to enter and flash the 23.05 RC1 with web firmware update, nothing can be more smooth like that, and it becomes OpenWrt Luci interface within a few mins.

I was presented with a screen to set admin password and had to choose between AP and router mode (chose AP).

After some struggle getting it to accept a password, it then asked me about configuring wifi, I just clicked next accepting defaults.

Then there was a progress bar as it was I assume running setup scripts.

Then when it finished it redirected me to the above website which is just a product page for netgear products. The router now isnt pingable. :frowning:

I was never able to access anything resembling a dashboard to do anything never mind flash firmware. So this seems far from a simple setup. I wonder if there is different stock firmware's with different complexity?

Currently trying to figure out a way to reset this thing to defaults to try again. Otherwise will be returning it and asking retailer to pre configure the second one.

I seen the UI on this video, except I was originally accessing via the ip not routerlogin.net, their setup seems to assume you have dns pointing to the router? Thats very weird.

I picked router mode during first setup, not sure if this can help.

was the ip still 192.168.1.1 for you?

Well if I can get to try again, I will try router mode second time.

Yes it was 192.168.1.1, any way to avoid issue I usually unplug my LAN cable to make sure my connected PC is getting a new DHCP offer (sometimes the subnet might change)

1 Like

Well I did this the way I have done dozens of other routers, its connected in to back of a switch, seems it does expect to be the gateway for your pc, so after the recovery has finished I will do what you said, plug the PC direct into it, I think its recovering now, had to pin the reset for 7 seconds.

Ok its done now, very quick direct and setting as router, flash was quick. The flash never officially completed, but as soon as light was green and ping came back I refreshed the page and openwrt was up.

Ok after some time fiddling, finding out the new network structure (I am using to 19.x), got VLAN working and everything is setup.

PS5 up to 600mbps wifi speed, nice they got wifi 6 in this thing, xbox only slightly faster than C7 though at around 270mbps.

What about range?

Well the reason I suddenly got the WAX206 out today.

Testing an AX210 in new PC, and was hitting 80mbps on hh5a, checked and cpu bound, that thing is super weak. (this is lan not internet routing lol). Got same from C7 but that was a range/signal issue as other end of my home, the coincidental speed made me install the WAX as needed to see the cause, also could be the AX210 has AC issues,

After WAX206 setup, with the WAX206 in the exact same spot as the C7 was, it clears 200mbps over AX. This unit has no external antennae as well so I am happy. (I will retest this when PC assembled as then will be in same room as the WAX206).

Tomorrow I will put the C7 in the hh5a spot.

Its on SNAPSHOT, all packages I needed installed.

1 Like