Netgear WAC510: GUI firmware upgrade to latest snapshot not possible

Hi,

I've gotten my hands on a Netgear WAC510 and would like to run OpenWRT on it. I'm following these steps:

I've downloaded openwrt-ipq40xx-generic-netgear_wac510-squashfs-nand-factory.tar from

https://downloads.openwrt.org/snapshots/targets/ipq40xx/generic/openwrt-ipq40xx-generic-netgear_wac510-squashfs-nand-factory.tar

but if i select that file in the stock firmware as the image to upgrade to, it displays " The firmware file is corrupt." after a couple of seconds. I've extracted the tar and wac5xx-ubifs-root.img's md5 hash matches the one in wac5xx-ubifs-root.md5sum so its unlikely to be actuallly corrupt.

The firmware version running on the device is V8.2.1.16 .

. Could try to build OpenWRT myself or try different installation methods ( tftp / sftp ) but I fear the resulting firmware is just as likely to get invalidated by the stock firmware as the "snapshot" firmware I've downloaded.

Any feedback/thoughts on how to get OpenWRT installed on my shiny new device would be appreciated!

Kind regards,

fuxjez

https://git.openwrt.org/?p=openwrt/openwrt.git;a=commitdiff;h=b126d9c3a3d3c8fe0937bcdfffabe8df941d2c06

2 Likes

Hi slh,

Thank you for your feedback!

I don't know how to interpret your comment exactly, but since it details the procedure to install openwrt on a Netgear wac510 using the serial port I'm trying to do so. I've hooked the board's J2 TX/RX pins up to a serial adapter / my laptop.

Unfortunately the serial port only seems to display "gibberish", although I explicitly instructed screen to set the connection to 115200 baud :

screen /dev/ttyUSB1 115200

I've tried some of the mostly used baud rates as listed on:

https://lucidar.me/en/serialib/most-used-baud-rates-table/

but none greets me with the

IPQ40xx

tekst, I keep getting gibberish instead.

I'm doing something wrong, any (additional) pointers highly appreciated :slight_smile:

Regards,

fuxjez

Make sure you're using the correct COM port, which is what the UART is using on your laptop.

I didn't see you mention the ground connection.

Check that.

Gibberish usually means either one of the connections isn't good (GND) or your adapter is using the wrong voltage.

@anon89577378: The adapters I use become available as

/dev/ttyUSB[0|1]

after hooking them up to my laptop (USB). Are COM/UART relevant terms given that the serial adapters are connected with USB? As for the ground connection, I didn't connect it on purpose (given the "Do not connect!" info for the 3.3 V connector).....

Regards,

fuxjez

Hi slh/Jim,

The only thing i've used serial connections in the past was for
configuring network/devices so I hope you forgive me my lack of
experience using serial ports....

The wiki mentions : "(Do NOT connect!)" for the 3.3 volt J2 connector
which is why I only connected the TX/RX wires from my adapters to the J2
headers and did not connect both 3.3v and GND.

Did I misinterpret this comment? Should I still connect the GND wire
perhaps (didn't seem to do anything usefull regarding the "do not
connect comment)?

Thanks again for your feedback!

Regards,

fuxjez

@slh:

Thanks again for your feedback.

The wiki clearly mentions : "(Do NOT connect!)" for the 3.3 volt J2 connector which is why I only connected the TX/RX wires from my adapters to the J2 headers and did not connect both 3.3v and GND.

I'm starting to think I should ignore the wiki comment and just hook everything up "as usual"... Why would the wiki mention not connecting the 3.3 volt connector?

Regards,

fuxjez

Never connect Vcc/ 3.3V!

but GND, RX and TX are required.

Hi slh,

Ah. That explains.

Ill hook everything back together tonight and will retry with GND :slight_smile:

TnX!

fuxjez

Hi,

As it turns out the OpenWRT project provides excellent documentation on the subject of serial connectivity:

I feel a little ashamed for starting this topic without reading this first.

Anyway: after hooking up the GND cable as well I was able to interrupt autoboot and enter the bootloader. I will setup a tftp daemon and try flashing the OpenWRT firmware that way.

Regards,

fuxjez

Hi,

Although I've managed to drop to the bootloader of the netgear wac510 device I'm still struggling to upload a bootable image. I fear that either the stock firmware's sanity checks aren't met by the .img anymore or I'm feeding it the wrong file..

This is the output of the bootloader:

(IPQ40xx) # setenv serverip 192.168.1.2
(IPQ40xx) # setenv ipaddr 192.168.1.1
(IPQ40xx) # tftpboot wac5.img                                                   eth0 PHY0 Down Speed :10 Half duplex
eth0 PHY1 Down Speed :10 Half duplex
eth0 PHY2 Down Speed :10 Half duplex
eth0 PHY3 up Speed :1000 Full duplex
eth0 PHY4 Down Speed :10 Half duplex
Using eth0 device
TFTP from server 192.168.1.2; our IP address is 192.168.1.1
Filename 'wac5.img'.
Load address: 0x84000000
Loading: #################################################################
         #################################################################
         #############################################################
done
Bytes transferred = 8519680 (820000 hex)
(IPQ40xx) # bootm
Wrong Image Format for bootm command
ERROR: can't get kernel image!
(IPQ40xx) # 

I see the netgear wac510 actually fetching the file (tcpdump).
The wac5.img file is the .img file included in

openwrt-ipq40xx-generic-netgear_wac510-squashfs-nand-factory

which the stock firmware didn't allow uploading using the GUI either ( I renamed it ).

The wiki page references

tftpboot openwrt-ipq40xx-generic-netgear_wac510-initramfs-fit-uImage.itb

but the tar file ( openwrt-ipq40xx-generic-netgear_wac510-squashfs-nand-factory.tar ) mentioned on the wiki does not contain any .itb files..

I'm totally out of ideas on how to flash my wac 510 / how to further troubleshoot this :frowning:

Any ideas on this forum?

Feedback appreciated!

Regards,

fuxjez

https://downloads.openwrt.org/snapshots/targets/ipq40xx/generic/openwrt-ipq40xx-generic-netgear_wac510-initramfs-fit-uImage.itb

Hi OldNavyGuy,

That worked perfectly :slight_smile:

Ill see if I can make additions to the wiki page as some sort of documentation (I'm planning on buying more of these units).

TnX!

Regards,

fuxjez

This topic was automatically closed 10 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.