Netgear Smartconnect

I noticed in the stock firmware for the Netgear Nighthawk r8000 there is an option to have two wireless radios have the same SSID and password using some sort of "smart connect" technology. Is this possible using LEDE? Is it something more than just having two networks have the same name?

Also, since I don't think it is a valid topic in its own right, which is better hardware: Nighthawk N6 or a WRT3200ACM? I found the nighthawk in the garbage :smiley:

I found the nighthawk in the garbage :smiley:

Lol, you lucky guy... You really found dat thing in the garbage ?! I guess someone was very pissed about the device ! :wink:

Not sure what kind of technology Netgear uses with their "smart connect" feature but you could use Wireless Roaming (802.11r) with LEDE or just set up the 2.4+5GHZ radio with the same SSID and password.
With my WRT3200acm@Lede it works just fine over here.

I dont know much about the R8000 but I think the CPU wise the WRT3200ACM is better/stronger (1ghz vs 1.8ghz) but the Marvel wifi driver is still sketchy sometimes...

If you want the best wifi performance you should probably go for the R7800.
Anyway im quite happy with my WRT3200ACM and i just bought the Linksys high gain Antennas for it. :stuck_out_tongue:

Yep I certainly did find it there.

So it's actually that it does "smartconnect" with the two 5GHz antennas on the same device. It doesn't do it for 2.4 and 5GHz ones though you could presumably make the channels overlap. I will check out 802.11r though thanks!