Netgear R8000 won't upgrade from 18.06.04 to 18.06.05

I downloaded openwrt-18.06.5-bcm53xx-netgear-r8000-squashfs.chk and confirmed sha256sum. Using Luci: System->Firmware->flash new firmware image, I select file listed above and click the Flash Image button. I've tried it multiple times with the Keep Settings flag checked and unchecked. After a while the router login is presented and I'm still on 18.06.04. If there is documentation the explains the proper way to upgrade I haven't found it and would appreciate a point in the right direction.

Could you login with SSH and issue a cat /etc/openwrt_release ?

DISTRIB_ID='OpenWrt'
DISTRIB_RELEASE='18.06.4'
DISTRIB_REVISION='r7808-ef686b7292'
DISTRIB_TARGET='bcm53xx/generic'
DISTRIB_ARCH='arm_cortex-a9'
DISTRIB_DESCRIPTION='OpenWrt 18.06.4 r7808-ef686b7292'
DISTRIB_TAINTS=''

Can you try to upgrade from SSH?
https://openwrt.org/docs/guide-user/installation/generic.sysupgrade#command-line_interface

Thank you for this link. This worked after some trial and error. When I initially ran sysupgrade -v it initiated the upgrade, dropped my ssh connection, rebooted and after a while came up still in 18.06.4. I read a little further down in the instructions are read about using opkg to update all installed packages. When I upgraded from 18.06.2 to 18.06.4 I never updated all packages.

So I followed the instructions and updated all packages and confirmed they were all up to date. I decided to try once again to flash the 18.06.5 image via Luci. Just like before, the router rebooted but was still running 18.06.4. I gave sysupgrade -v via SSH once more shot and this time it worked. After reboot I was finally running 18.06.5. I once again updated all packages and now I seem to be good to go. I don't know if a stale package was blocking the upgrade or not.

1 Like

I am glad you got it working. Sysupgrade should not care if a packet is old. Maybe something was corrupted instead.
There is also the mtd option to upgrade, mentioned in the link above. I was hoping you'd go for that if sysupgrade failed.

A while back I bought a 2nd used R8000 on eBay. I plan on upgrading one to 19.07.0 when it is finalized later this month and once up and working upgrading the 2nd unit to the current snapshot. These two upgrades will give me plenty of opportunities to play around if the basic upgrade fails again. I'll try mtd first just for kicks.

This topic was automatically closed 10 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.