Netgear R8000 - how to configure VLANs

Hi, I'm trying to configure VLANs on a Netgear R8000 using OpenWrt 22.03.0 r19685, I was expecting to find a Switch menu item under Networks on the web UI as I've used that on installs on different hardware, but it's missing on this install. I believe this model does have a switch:

root@OpenWrt:~# ls -l /sys/class/net | grep switch
lrwxrwxrwx    1 root     root             0 Jan  1  1970 lan1 -> ../../devices/platform/18007000.ethernet-switch/net/lan1
lrwxrwxrwx    1 root     root             0 Jan  1  1970 lan2 -> ../../devices/platform/18007000.ethernet-switch/net/lan2
lrwxrwxrwx    1 root     root             0 Jan  1  1970 lan3 -> ../../devices/platform/18007000.ethernet-switch/net/lan3
lrwxrwxrwx    1 root     root             0 Jan  1  1970 lan4 -> ../../devices/platform/18007000.ethernet-switch/net/lan4
lrwxrwxrwx    1 root     root             0 Jan  1  1970 wan -> ../../devices/platform/18007000.ethernet-switch/net/wan

I tried installing ip-full but it hasn't made a difference. Not sure how to get this working, any pointers please?

Go to NETWORK > INTERFACES
then DEVICES tab
then click CONFIGURE in front of the device you want to add a Vlan.
in the pop up window you'll see a tab called "...vlan filtering".

hope it helps.
you can also search on youtube for "OpenWRT DSA vlan"

Most recent video using OW21 with DSA:

Two-part slightly older videos which are also excellent:

1 Like

Thanks @shdf and @darksky - super helpful, I wasn't aware this had changed in the 21 release. Time to update my older install!

hi @sc84647

Have you been able to setup VLANs on R8000?

So far, I have had no issues with "TP-Link Archer C7 v5" or "Netgear Nighthawk X4S R7800", but I can't get VLANs to work on Netgear R8000.

FYI : Firmware Version : OpenWrt 22.03.2 r19803-9a599fee93 / LuCI openwrt-22.03 branch git-22.304.65171-ec905e6

Ok... I found the solution. but I cannot explain the underlying issue.

The solution was to :

  • connect to router with Wan port.
  • delete the interface : lan
  • delete the device : br-lan
  • re-create the device : br-lan (in my case I named it br-vlans), adding ports (lan1 to lan4), adding the Vlan filtering options and my Vlan config.
  • re-create the interfaces : for example "lan" interface uses "br-vlans.99" device

VLANs work, but the down side is... Wireless is doing wired stuff :

  • All AP are still up and running, and visible.
  • Impossible to connect to any of the AP
  • If I remove Wireless encryption ==> Everything works fine. I can connect to the corresponding VLAN as expected.

I am starting to hate the r8000

This suggests an issue with the encryption you are using. Let’s see your wireless config file. In fact, please start a new thread and we can debug there.

This topic was automatically closed 10 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.