Netgear R7800 exploration (IPQ8065, QCA9984)

Try hnyman's 17.0.1.2 builds. Master is bleeding edge, so you probably will encounter more issues if you install master builds.

@hnyman
blogic has pushed commits that enable hwnat in qca8337 switch into his tree.
https://git.lede-project.org/?p=lede/blogic/staging.git;a=commit;h=8bc13eabb42da31341c77fb5b3f61f1709843e34
A patch to enable 2nd cpu port and hwnat package in makefile:

@chunkeey

Hi. I installed the official 17.01.2 build, and then upgraded to the hnyman's 17.01.2 builds from the official build using the sysupgrade tar file I found in hnyman's dropbox folder. While everything started off fine, I face a weird issue. Whenever I restart the router, all my settings are gone and it goes back to my default settings, thus I lose all my wireless settings. Infact, the router password I set is also gone. Same happens when I restore the settings I have saved to file. When I try to apply them, they seem to be applied, but the router restarts and goes back to default settings. Any ideas on how to fix this ?

Yeah, I know ;). I have subscribed to his tree as well. I don't have any IPQ806x to test. I'm waiting for the IPQ4019 related changes to show up. It can't be too long.

Hi!
How can I monitor the current CPU speed of IPQ806 and limit it with some values?
How can I monitor the current CPU temperature?

For both of your questions, monitoring is easy with LuCI statistics, which has functionality for both of those measurements. Just install LuCI statistics, plus the needed collectd modules: collectd-mod-cpufreq and collectd-mod-thermal

If you want more manual native Linux kernel stuff, advice below.

Earlier in this same thread, from this message onward:

You can manipulate the speed properties just like for other normal Linux kernels. But the manipulation possibilities are rather limited. Mostly you can adjust the scaling governor, is it "performance" = always max, or "ondemand" = changes according to the CPU load (=the default in ipq806x).
Example e.g. in CPU frequency scaling driver for mvebu (WRT3200ACM etc.)

Relevant discussion also in this thread: Supporting thermal sensors on ipq806x

@dissent1 What would these changes do? Is this what you would call hardware NAT?

Yeah it's kind of hardware nat for ipoe on wired connections. It offloads nat routing with switch inbuilt capabilities. It's not the hardware nat as in stock, as its limited to wired connections and ipoe. And it's still work in progress, it crashes occasionally.

@hnyman btw I've compiled that fast nat driver against k4.9, seems to be working fine. I'm updating driver sources with qsdk commits at the moment.

Are you interested?

Sure. If you manage to make the needed patches to clear commit(s), I can test it. I have so far not invested time in looking to the matter, as the "original" fastpath changes from gwlim were a mismatch of fastpath plus everyhing else, and the approach from musashino was better but still looked unnecessarily complicated. If you have cleaned it up, that is great.

It also sounds promising if blogic gets his hardware NAT changes ready.

But I don't have that speedy gigabit connection that I would really benefit from those changes, so I have been lazy :wink:

I may be able to give it a shot over my gigabit connection. I can build my flavor if it will be git clone-able or if a working build is made available. Working meaning it won't brick the router. Wife won't be so forgiving if the internet dies and if I have to spend time to fix it.

@hnyman

https://github.com/dissent1/r7800/commit/5ae4a7425aac4211550e86060e556e6a3d5435cc
You should check kernel modules kmod-fast-classifier and kmod-sfe-cm in menu config under kernel modules -> network support

Works only in k4.9, because there were some changes in netfilter that I've hardcoded into the driver

edit: adjusted dependencies and auto load to load after kmod-ipt-*. It's enough to select kmod-shortcut-fe-cm

You don't necessarily need a real Gigabit provider line to test the NAT speeds as it might be hard to organize a saturation from the real Internet and test full-duplex with it.

An alternative setup would be 2 PCs, each with a Gigabit Ethernet port (all modern hardware has them). The "server" PC, connected to the WAN port of the router, will need to run a DHCP server and iperf in the server mode, and the "client" PC, connected to one of the LAN ports, will run the client mode of iperf. The DHCP server on the server PC will need to be configured to provide an IP from a different subnet than router's own LAN. Afterwards tests can be done iin both directions (half- or full-duplex). The easiest way to organize this is to boot a live Linux distro on both PCs.

Results from one year ago (DD-WRT): https://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=1044363&sid=832243585bdb755fd74a44bcec3d2abc#1044363

Unfortunately I don't have access to the router any more.

I understand your post. I also know how to test without an actual gigabit internet connection. I'm just making a point that use cases may affect performance differently. If I'm never stressing my wired or wireless enough I'm likely to claim that it is stable. Conversely, if I'm constantly pushing maximum throughput through all my interfaces, I'm more likely to see bottlenecks/crashes that arent visible to others.

cchhat01

For k4.9. You should pick only kmod-fast-classifier under kernel modules - network support in menuconfig.
https://github.com/dissent1/r7800/commit/6e2637f7199526bdcc2ad7acb2aea6935e7a5ff2

So it is true that from 128Mb NAND is only ~20Mb available ?
(I know i can extend it with extroot)
Thanks.

By default, yes, only some 19 MB is available after flashing the router: to preserve the possibility to revert back into a fully functional Netgear OEM, the LEDE firmware is only stored to the 30 MB "ubi" partition and the 70 MB "Netgear" partition is left intact and marked read-only..

But you can compile an image that uses a larger portion of the flash:

hello,
anyone notice that wireless playing a bluray .mkv from usb ports storage and e-sata create artefacts/blocking in the video stream?

edit:
in build - LEDE 17.01: lede1701-r3469-870ca0da7a-20170724 graphics corruption don't happen.
in build - LEDE master: lede-r4619-d72371e42b-20170723 graphics corruption happen!!

Is this still a case?
I'm looking for a new router for 250/20 Mb/s connection to use with SQM layer_cake. I'm considering the Netgear R7800 but those new information are making me want to reject this device. Can anyone clear this up for me, please?

Greetings,

Is SQM QoS "broken" in the latest snapshot build ?

Downloaded today, dated 07-29-2017,

Running: LEDE Reboot SNAPSHOT r4651-a6f6f8d / LuCI Master (git-17.209.51293-4c9ae3f)

Installed LuCi packages, luci-app-qos, luci-app-sqm, luci-app-advanced-reboot

I have SQM enabled, but testing from DSLReports.com indicates Bufferfloat, like the module is not active.

• I checked the interfaces: (eth0.2, ppoe-wan), they both mirror each other in ingress/egress traffic,
    SQM is setup on the (ppoe-wan) interface,

Any help, tips, feedback would be greatly appreciated, Thanks.

Luci-app-advanced-reboot has no relevance for R7800.
If you have SQM, you do not need luci-app-qos and qos-scripts.